La Mina Falls -- Need lots of info!!!

DreDay

I am booked on a private tour to the El Yunque rainforest and one of our stops will be La Mina Falls. I know that the trail is about 1.3 miles to the falls, but can anyone whose done this tell me how the walk is. Is it steep? My parents are in their 60's, and my BIL will have have had surgery two weeks prior. They all eagerly want to do this, but I would like to hear opinions of the hike before I get us in over our heads.

Also, how long did it take to walk the trail.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

If you have not seen this page already, check it out. This is the offical description of the trail

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/caribbean/recreation/trail2_la_mina.shtml

I have done the trail in the past, and did not think it was that challenging. It is paved and it does have some sections with steps, but if you take it easy, you should be OK (others may disagree)

Coqui @ www.visit-the-coqui.com (personal blog on PR)

Thanks so much, I will check this out. I've read that people have done the trail in flip flops and were fine, but I am sure it's relative to the person actually doing the walking.

Thanks again for the link, I will check it out.

Well, there are 2 trails that lead to the Falls.

Big Tree trail is a bit easier (especially on the way backup!) as it is more winding than La Mina trail which is pretty steep with lots of steps. But both of them are a decent walk. Big Tree has about 70 steps about half way through.

It really depends on how physically fit everyone is. My FIL is 80 yo and he did Big Tree trail fine, my MIL 75 had some trouble but did it. Other people we know can't do it at all. I can do a round trip in about 1 hr.

La Mina trail is the prettier of the 2 trails, it goes by the water, where Big Tree offers informational placards about the rainforest along the way (good reasons to stop and rest as your read!).

No sandals- you need decent footwear- the trails are wet and slippery.

I have some information on it on my travel blog:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/2007/02/19/el-yunque-rain-forest-an-overview-of-the-carribean-national-forest/

We will be on the Explorer of the Seas in April and, because of the short port time and distance involved, have decided to do a ship sponsored tour. There are two listed. One goes to LaMina Falls & is a hikeing tour & I think the other one, which is longer and less $$$, is mostly a bus tour, although a 30 minute hike is involved. Can anyone tell us which one of these is the better tour? Any comments about either tour?

I have never been on either tour,but I know the "longer, less $$ one" you walk on the El Caimitillo Trail. This trail is very easy and flat. Close to the road. Basic overview of the forest.

The La Mina tour hikes you to the waterfall. You can go in the water. Very pretty, great experience.

It really depends on what you can do hiking-wise. Either way,the rainforest is beautiful.

My parents are in their 60's, and my BIL will have have had surgery two weeks prior.

Saw other 60 year olds so age is not an issue. It is a question of physical fitness, as another poster noted there are at least 70 steps. On the steep ones there is a railing and you can stop often to rest if needed.

On the surgery front, it would depend on what type of surgery:rolleyes: . You are pretty isolated at this point so if there are possible complications, I would pass.

I loved the trail and swam in the falls when we got there.

Thanks for the responses!!!

I am using countryside tours. I found him through cruise critic and his email is countrysidepr at yahoo dot com. I think we are paying something like $600 for 13 people. I will double check and let you know for sure. I am assuming we are getting a good discount for a large group, as this is an awesome price.

I refuse to do ship sponsored tours. I cannot stand being herded like cattle. But that's just MHO.

I know a lot of people will only do independent tours - and others will only do ship tours. Both ideas are ok. I have been on some very good and not-so-good ship's tours and some very good and not-so-good independents. I do find that the more action style tours, like ATV rides, etc through the ship are self-limiting in size and tend to be quite good.

I do both ship sponsored and independents. My general rule of thumb is to keep in mind the distance from the ship the tour will be and how long the tour is. If it is far from the ship and I will be cutting my time to close I am just more comfortable staying with a ship tour. That is why I am sticking with a ship tour to El Yunque. We have a very short time in port. However, I have a feeling that the hike to the falls will be less of a "cattle call" than the other tour. So, that is the direction I am currently leaning. I do think I will wait a bit before booking it as my "trick knee" sometimes acts up and I want to make sure that it will be ok!:eek:

I am booked on a private tour to the El Yunque rainforest and one of our stops will be La Mina Falls. I know that the trail is about 1.3 miles to the falls, but can anyone whose done this tell me how the walk is. Is it steep? My parents are in their 60's, and my BIL will have have had surgery two weeks prior. They all eagerly want to do this, but I would like to hear opinions of the hike before I get us in over our heads.

Also, how long did it take to walk the trail.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

My mother got bone marrow cancer when she was 50 and had 8 angiograms with 5 plasties, she is overweight and not exactly one for activity but likes nature. We live in New York City so we walk EVERYWHERE. 20 blocks is a mile so she walks about 4-5 miles a week.

We took a trip to PR to celebrate her first year cancer free. I really wanted to go to El Yunque and she said it would be ok as long as I let her rest when she needed to. We hiked Mt Briton and the Big Tree trail. When ever she got tired she would announce "we are going to need to rest in a minute" and around the next bend there was a hut with a bench. Everything is paved and the waterfalls are a once in a lifetime experience. Even if you need to rest and sit down on a rock, stair or HUT!!! its worth it and The Big Tree Trial is 90% flat so go for it!!!!

PS mom used one of those collapsible canes from the drugstore on the hike for support she carries it everywhere now and whips it out when she gets tired

My mother got bone marrow cancer when she was 50 and had 8 angiograms with 5 plasties, she is overweight and not exactly one for activity but likes nature. We live in New York City so we walk EVERYWHERE. 20 blocks is a mile so she walks about 4-5 miles a week.

We took a trip to PR to celebrate her first year cancer free. I really wanted to go to El Yunque and she said it would be ok as long as I let her rest when she needed to. We hiked Mt Briton and the Big Tree trail. When ever she got tired she would announce "we are going to need to rest in a minute" and around the next bend there was a hut with a bench. Everything is paved and the waterfalls are a once in a lifetime experience. Even if you need to rest and sit down on a rock, stair or HUT!!! its worth it and The Big Tree Trial is 90% flat so go for it!!!!

PS mom used one of those collapsible canes from the drugstore on the hike for support she carries it everywhere now and whips it out when she gets tired

Thank you for sharing this story. It means alot to me. My BIL has had his last two surgeries for stage 4 colon cancer. Miraculously, the doctors have said they got it ALL!!! Considering they gave him only three years to live last year to now saying he is remission is, needless to say, a blessing to our family. He is the one I am really worried about as he does seem to tire easily. Otherwise he is fairly fit. I am glad to hear that there are little places to stop and rest. My parents, as I mentioned before, are in their early 60's, and they too in okay shape. We are going to go for it and hopefully our day will be grand.

What waterfall does Big Bear Trail lead to?

Awesome! Thank you for the information. We will have a private tour guide so I will let him know that we are probably more intersted in that trail than our original La Mina trail. I know according to a previous post that it is a relatively flat trail, but can anyone tell me if it is longer or shorter than the La Mina trail.

I think your Bill will be just fine. Additionally the look on his face when he accomplishes a "real hike" in the rainforest after beating the cancer will give him more energy. My mom was sure she wasn't going to be able to do "a real hike", you know with the remnance of the Chemo and Radiation treatment. They get frustrated with the exhaustion, but if you go in, do the Big Tree Trail and don't push him at all. I think both of you will be pleasantly surprised. When he wants to rest, rest, when he wants to sit, sit Just let him know that you can always go back to the car and you are glad he tried because you know its not easy. Then when you get to the falls make sure you have your bathing suits on. And enjoy the rest.

:D

We leave in irthe morning!!! WOO HOO!! I know that we are all going to be thrilled with this excursion and I will be sure to post a trip report when I get back.

Thanks again for all the replies!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We just posted 2 articles on La Mina Falls on our Travel Blog (finally!).

These have been sitting in our queue for the past couple of months. Thanks for getting us off our butts (with the questions) and helping move these articles to the top of the pile.

As you know, there are two ways to get to La Mina Falls ... you can take La Mina Trail or Big Tree Trail.

One article takes you down La Mina Trail to the Falls ... http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/2008/01/11/hike-la-mina-trail-to-la-mina-falls/

while the other takes you down Big Tree Trail to the Falls ... http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/2008/01/10/hike-big-tree-trail-to-la-mina-falls/

Both are excellent trails. You can do both of them in one day (take one from the road to the falls, and then the other one back to the road). The only problem with that is that you'll then have to walk about a mile up or down road 191 to get back to where you parked your car. It's something to consider, but certainly doable.

Enjoy!

We will get off the ship hopefully in the first group. Grab a cab and drive to the Normandie hotel which has a budget renyal car location. take our rental car to the rain forrest. What time is a good time to get to the forrest? How long of a drive from Old San Juan?

I would get there as early as possible. main reason - to get parked and beat the crowds that will turn up on organized tours.

Drive is about 45mins from San Juan.

There is a summary of the various trails here http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/places-to-see/el-yunque/walking-trails-in-el-yunque-rainforest/

Don't forget to consider returning via Luquillo beach (spend a few hours in the afternoon, if you have time)

Thanks for the reply. We should have time to go to laquillo beach. We are driving then to Fajardo leaving the rental car at the ferry dock. Taking the ferry to Vieques and spending two nights and doing the Biobay tour. We will come back on the early morning ferry, get into our rental car and drive to the airport. Our flight is not untill 2:30pm. So I was figuring arrivng at the airport about 12:20 and returning the rental car. That should give us the required be at the airport 90 minutes before flight. Going back home after the cruise on Tuesday should help us avoid the crowds at the airport.

Any suggestions or do you think we have it covered?

Thanks so much for all of the info everyone. We did visit the La Mina with our tour guide and it was a really wonderful experience. It was about a 50 minute drive to El Yunque from the ship port. We stopped at a waterfall on the side of the road, and then a tower, and then we decided on the Big Bear Trail to La Mina. (Just a note: My BIL did not make this excursion with us...he was not feeling well). The rest of us did do the hike and it was a little difficult for my mom and dad. They did stop to rest along the way. I though my dad was going to turn back at one point, but I don't think his pride would let him. :o Once we got to the La Mina, he took lots of photos. He later said the hike back was much easier....

The water was freezing, but after that long trip there I was going in. I highly recommend water shoes. It is really a must. I did get behind the waterfall and was able to get a photo.

The trail was very scenic and I would do this again in a second. This trip was really one of the highlights of our cruise.

Archived