Scuba in Roatan and Cozamel

TreeCity

RCCL uses Sand Dollar Watersports (or at least they used to) in Cozumel. Carnival uses them as well. They are good. They always go to Santa Rosa Wall for the first dive and Paradise Reef for the second - both good dives but I have gotten tired of the same sites every time. When on cruises I have always had to use the cruise lines operator for Cozumel due to later arrivals. I also spent a week diving in Cozumel and used Paradise Divers. They were ok and I would use them again.

I'm not sure who they use in Roatan. I booked independently with Sueno del Mar. I liked the people there a lot, but the boat they used was packed and had no shade. Although I would consider using them again, I would likely try someone else next time.

:confused: Does anyone know what dive company(s) Voyager of Sea uses for their shore excursions at Cozumel and Roatan? Also, who would you recommend if I don't go through the ship?

I think they use Anthony Keys in Roatan, but I'm not totally certain.

I agree that they probably use Sand dollar in Cozumel.

My recommendations are in This Thread

• 2 weeks later...

rccl does use anthony key resorts in roatan, i just got back from voyager, it was not good. they had 20 divers on a dive boat, made us do a buoyancy check at docks, did not even ask to see our cert diver card.

no 1st aid on dive boat. we did a wall dive and all i saw was a sea horse and lots of bubbles cause the divers would not just follow the leader, they all wanted to stack up on one another like a school of fish. second dive was worthless. sorry but i wanted to tell the truth.

bb

rccl does use anthony key resorts in roatan, i just got back from voyager, it was not good. they had 20 divers on a dive boat, made us do a buoyancy check at docks, did not even ask to see our cert diver card.

no 1st aid on dive boat. we did a wall dive and all i saw was a sea horse and lots of bubbles cause the divers would not just follow the leader, they all wanted to stack up on one another like a school of fish. second dive was worthless. sorry but i wanted to tell the truth.

bb

Bummer. That sounds like my idea of a typical BAD ship's excursion dive and is the reason I try hard to avoid them.

Scuba with Alison is the absolute best. We were in Cozumel on Christmas Day and she was AWESOME. I scheduled with her prior to arriving on the Navigator of the Seas.

For other ports we have used www.shoretrips.com and have had wonderful success. If you get to Belize take the Ambergris fly and dive excursion---you won't be disappointed!

Have fun!

bb

That's a shame because Roatan is absolutely fabulous. I took a snorkel trip w/Anthony Key booked thru the ship. The snorkel trip was excellent. The boat wasn't overcrowded, the guide was first rate and the snorkeling superb.

Of course it's much easier to accomodate a large group of snorkelers vs divers.

Anthony Key is a large operation. With all the dive boats they own, they should never have crammed that many divers on one boat!!:eek:

Will be using Allison for scuba trip in Feb. while in Cozumel. How was the diving? Any info. would be great. Also, how did you go about tipping? Have no idea how much help she has on the boat and what the going rate is for tipping. Help. Thanks.

Just got back from Coz and went diving with dive with Martin. We usually do the ship excutison because of limited port time 10-4. However this time we decided to try an independent. Dive with Martin is located right on the International pier and cater to cruise divers. We got off the ship walked to the end of the dock and there is their dive shop. We did have to wait half an hour to see if anyelse showed up but it was worth it. No one did so it was just the two of us. They asked us where we would like to go and we told them we were experienced divers and would like to see something a little different. We went to the Santa Rosa wall but to the part where it drops way down. It was really beautiful. We then went to Tormentos reef which was also a great dive. We left their dive shop at 10 Coz time and returned at 1. It cost 70$ cash equipment included although we had our own gear.

Debbie, I see what you mean about the web sight. When we were in Coz in Nov we stopped in the dive shop on the international pier ( it's small and you can't even get to it if you aren't on a cruise ship) to ask about diving on our Jan cruise. They said, "no problem just stop in when you get off the ship". We did not make a reservation so we did stand a chance of them having a full boat. However we were the only divers and had a boat that could fit 10-12 all to ourselves. They still only charged us 70$ a piece. We were told by the guy on the pier in Nov that if we were the only divers that they would take us and that's what they did. We were on the Radiance and the Voyager was with us in port that day so I would have thought there would have been other divers. I guess they want you to find other divers but if you don't they don't want to loose the 140$. I wonder if it's possible if they are separate from Dive with Martin and just use their logo. I know it's not their main dive shop and they do snorkle trips from the same shop. I know the dive master is not on their web sight but he did say he just started working for them.

Valarson5 or tootsiescurly - I understand that you have to arrange a taxi yourself to get to Alison. Did you have any problems when you were there? Any advice welcome. :confused:

And cringo, I'm going to the same ports as you (on the CCL Valor in March) and I'm diving at all of them! :D

Valarson5 or tootsiescurly - I understand that you have to arrange a taxi yourself to get to Alison. Did you have any problems when you were there? Any advice welcome. :confused:

I've had to take a taxi to the Caleta to meet the dive boat while on a cruise. You will have NO trouble finding a taxi to take you there. They will be lined up waiting when you get off the ship.

Be sure to agree on the fare before you get in the taxi.

Try to have exact change. That means you will want to take $1's and $5's. Some times the drivers "can't" make change. I'd expect the fare to be under $10 one way for up to 4 people.

Archived