Scuba in Roatan and Cozamel

TreeCity

Valarson5 or tootsiescurly - I understand that you have to arrange a taxi yourself to get to Alison. Did you have any problems when you were there? Any advice welcome. :confused:

And cringo, I'm going to the same ports as you (on the CCL Valor in March) and I'm diving at all of them! :D

I dove with Alison last week. Voyager of the Seas docked at the International pier and I was off the ship as soon as possible. Lot of taxis out front. It cost me $6 for the ride. Return trip could be an issue. Since I had time I walked back to the ship (only had my mask, no other gear) and it took about 20 minutes or so. Great dives, if back there I will dive with her again.

Return trip could be an issue. Since I had time I walked back to the ship (only had my mask, no other gear) and it took about 20 minutes or so. Great dives, if back there I will dive with her again.

I think most dive operators will call a taxi for you if you ask.

• 2 weeks later...
rccl does use anthony key resorts in roatan, i just got back from voyager, it was not good. they had 20 divers on a dive boat, made us do a buoyancy check at docks, did not even ask to see our cert diver card.

no 1st aid on dive boat. we did a wall dive and all i saw was a sea horse and lots of bubbles cause the divers would not just follow the leader, they all wanted to stack up on one another like a school of fish. second dive was worthless. sorry but i wanted to tell the truth.

bb

Wow. Thanks for the info. I got certified in October, and plan on diving with a friend on our cruise in April. I know I want to dive in Cozumel, but was debating on Roatan. My DH said that since I went through all I did to get certified, I was diving all I could on this trip. I've never been to Roatan, and am torn between diving and hanging on a beach for the day. Your review made my decision easier. I'm now leaning toward hanging on the beach with my DH.

Wow. Thanks for the info. I got certified in October, and plan on diving with a friend on our cruise in April. I know I want to dive in Cozumel, but was debating on Roatan. My DH said that since I went through all I did to get certified, I was diving all I could on this trip. I've never been to Roatan, and am torn between diving and hanging on a beach for the day. Your review made my decision easier. I'm now leaning toward hanging on the beach with my DH.

sunchaser. I was in the same situation and made the decision to dive in Cozumel since we had been there in the past several times. The beach break excursion we booked in Roatan tunred out less than expected. As we were returning from the ship from the West End I saw several of the dive shops that I had been looking at when thinking of diving Roatan. Most of them will meet you at the pier if you would like to dive with them instead of using the ship My Cozumel dives were great and ended up diving with 2 couples from Okl.

Sunchaser64,

I don't think I would rely on only 1 person's diving experience. My wife and I and our 3 sons dove in Roatan last year and it was fantastic. We booked with suenodelmar and they were waiting to pick us up at the pier, took us and brought us back. Good equipment and excellent divemaster. We are going back in March and are probably going to go to Anthony's Key Resort to dive this time even though it has to be through the ship - the reason being that last year other CCer's on our ship dove at Anthony's Key Resort and said it was fantastic. So I hope our experience is like theirs and not like cruisinbb's unfortunate experience. Of course you can do whatever makes you happy, but I'd just say that if you got certified with visions of diving at intriguing places, Roatan offers some beautiful diving spots.

By the way, Cozumel diving is great too. We used Alison and highly recommend her. We're diving at both of those locations and the Caymans too.

In Coz., there are plenty of dive ops close to the piers. We've used Aqua del Mar alot and they were great and Papa Hogs was also good. In Roatan...I would chose a dive op in West End. That way after your dive, you'll get to spend the rest of your day on a beautiful beach. I'd consider Los Rocas or our fav. Bananarama. In Roatan the dive op usually picks you up, but there is no shortage of taxis. In Belize, options were limited because the diving was so far away from the ship. So we were stuck going with the ship. Also, in case you were considering diving with the same company the cruise lines contract with, the dive ops will not take you if you are on a cruise because of their contract with the ships.

Valarson5 or tootsiescurly - I understand that you have to arrange a taxi yourself to get to Alison. Did you have any problems when you were there? Any advice welcome. :confused:

And cringo, I'm going to the same ports as you (on the CCL Valor in March) and I'm diving at all of them! :D

Not a problem at all. We were off the ship, got a taxi and at the marina at least 20 min early. We also had no problem getting a taxi back as well.

When I booked my cruise, Carnival wasnt offering a dive so I did my homework and eventually picked Scuba with Alison. (Both people on here and on diving sites recommended her). Carnival is now offering a dive for my cruise, but I would rather go with someone who comes highly recommended then get stuck with 20 other divers. She has been in constant contact with me via email and has been a great help. Contact her through her website and she will get back with you and answer anything you need to know.

When I booked my cruise, Carnival wasnt offering a dive so I did my homework and eventually picked Scuba with Alison. (Both people on here and on diving sites recommended her). Carnival is now offering a dive for my cruise, but I would rather go with someone who comes highly recommended then get stuck with 20 other divers. She has been in constant contact with me via email and has been a great help. Contact her through her website and she will get back with you and answer anything you need to know.

I have to agree. Alison is outstanding, professional and most of all safe. It is not cattle boat diving. You will enjoy your dives and the other divers.

Sunchaser64,

I don't think I would rely on only 1 person's diving experience. My wife and I and our 3 sons dove in Roatan last year and it was fantastic. We booked with suenodelmar and they were waiting to pick us up at the pier, took us and brought us back. Good equipment and excellent divemaster. We are going back in March and are probably going to go to Anthony's Key Resort to dive this time even though it has to be through the ship - the reason being that last year other CCer's on our ship dove at Anthony's Key Resort and said it was fantastic. So I hope our experience is like theirs and not like cruisinbb's unfortunate experience. Of course you can do whatever makes you happy, but I'd just say that if you got certified with visions of diving at intriguing places, Roatan offers some beautiful diving spots.

By the way, Cozumel diving is great too. We used Alison and highly recommend her. We're diving at both of those locations and the Caymans too.

Thanks for the rec in Roatan. If I decide to dive there, too, I'll definitely keep them in mind.

:confused: Does anyone know what dive company(s) Voyager of Sea uses for their shore excursions at Cozamel and Roatan? Also, who would you recommend if I don't go through the ship?

I never dive with the cruise ships because they limit the down time.

For Cozumel I highly recommend Alison and in Roatan suenodelmar which didn't cost extra for the taxi ride.

Hope you has a great dive.

Archived