Getting over the Mommy guilt

ShedQueen77

We're leaving the babies behind and I feel awful. At first I was OK but now I have a major attack of guilt! We leave Saturday and I almost thought about cancelling!!

I know they're going to be fine. They're staying with their Dad while we're gone and going to Grandma's when Dad is working. Grandma and Grandpa don't get to spend a lot of time with them and I know the kids are looking forward to it. They've been talking about seeing them for such a long while for a month now!

I can't help but feel like an awful parent for leaving them behind. Granted this is our honeymoon as well, but it still feels really weird. My oldest is 11 and I have a 6 and 4 year old. I've never been away for this long before. :(

I asked my DS (11) if he was OK with it and he said "Yeah. You're taking us on a cruise next year and this is your honeymoon. I don't wanna go and see you all doing that icky stuff anyway". Wait...he's not even supposed to know what "that" is!! :eek: ;)

Since they seem to be OK with it, how come I am not? Any advice to help get over the Mommy guilt?

I guess I would remember that it is normal to miss ones children whether you are going somewhere like a cruise, or they are going someplace and this will happen at many stages of your life.

Remember that visiting the grand parents can be lots of fun for the children, and that likely the will have a good time there while you are away. While you are on the trip be sure to buy them some gifts to take home with you.

At this point, focus on the nice time you will have on the cruise and the fact that they will be well taken care of and that you won't be gone very long.

Have a great time.

Keith

I did a cruise in January for 10 nights without my kids and must admit that I missed them but I still had a great time.

You will have a wonderful time on your cruise. Take advantage out of not having to pack for five people- share the bathroom with four other people. Break up fights. Try to get the kids to eat their veggies, etc. etc.

You won't have to sit in the cabin at night or watch cartoons. It will be different but great.

Happy Honeymoon!

My husband and I did a 7 night last year over Valentine's Day without our 3 kids, almost the same ages as yours.

I, too, had the guilt until I got on board and it just flew out the window. At about day 5.5 I started to miss them knowing the trip was almost over.

But, to this day dh and I say that was the best!! and I mean best trip we have ever had and yes we are taking them with us this year!

Congrats and Enjoy.

This IS your honeymoon. The last chance until the kids move out of the house that you will ever be alone together...lol. ;)

No guilt. :D

This is true! :D

Thanks all for the words of wisdom. I'm feeling a bit better today now that my kids gave me a shopping list of things they would like us to get for them on our trip. Now to find a shark tooth necklace, a teddy bear with a flowered shirt, and a pair of "beach roller skates", whatever those may be! I guess 4 year olds have some imagination! ;)

I had to laugh at the 'icky stuff' bit... don't worry about what they know... just kissing in front of them is GROOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSS!!!! :p

Keep in mind that while you're going on a cruise, they are also going on a 'special trip'. It may not be on a luxury liner, but it's with people they love whom (I'm guessing) they don't usually get to spend this kind of time with. If you WEREN'T going on a cruise and they were just going to spend a week with their dad and grandparents, would you feel better? What I mean is that just because you're looking forward to the cruise doesn't mean they're not looking forward to what they'll be doing. :)

This IS your honeymoon!!! Your son seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Let them give you the 'gift' of not being with you while you celebrate your new marriage!!

Oh, and by the way... CONGRATULATIONS!!! :)

I do understand the feelings of guilt, but like others have mentioned your kids will be in good hands and they are looking forward to their trip too.

While on your cruise if you start feeling those pangs of guilt or thinking "I wish the kids were here." Just turn it into a "We'll have to remember to do this on the next cruise with the kids!"

Congratulations and Happy Cruising!!

Couples need special alone time to make their marriges strong. Last Dec we went on a cruise without our 4 who were 12,10,6,3 at the time, they stayed with my sister and brother in law and their 6 in Oregon, they had a great time. Of course we missed them, we had never been away from any of them for that long. But it was worth it to have time together just the two of us. We are taking them next Dec, we just have to decide on one and stick with it, I had one booked then we changed our minds and cancelled it and we haven't settled on one yet.

I had to laugh at the 'icky stuff' bit... don't worry about what they know... just kissing in front of them is GROOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSS!!!! :p

Keep in mind that while you're going on a cruise, they are also going on a 'special trip'. It may not be on a luxury liner, but it's with people they love whom (I'm guessing) they don't usually get to spend this kind of time with. If you WEREN'T going on a cruise and they were just going to spend a week with their dad and grandparents, would you feel better? What I mean is that just because you're looking forward to the cruise doesn't mean they're not looking forward to what they'll be doing. :)

This IS your honeymoon!!! Your son seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Let them give you the 'gift' of not being with you while you celebrate your new marriage!!

Oh, and by the way... CONGRATULATIONS!!! :)

I think you hit it head on. I feel guilty for going on such a great trip and not including them. They will get to go eventually but just not right now. I probably would feel better if I were here and they were at Dad's and Grandma's. You're right! :)

Thanks all for the advice. I dropped the kids off at their Dad's tonight and all I heard about was their trip to Grandma's tomorrow. I think they handled it better than I did!

Now if I could just sleep...I have to get up and catch a plane in 6 hours! :D

Archived