Insignia excusions 4/26 sailing from Barcelona

ingeric

My wife and I will be sailing on the Oceania Insignia from Barcelona to Istanbul on April 26. This will be our first time on Oceania. Is it necessary or advisable to book the excursions in advance because they fill up fast? If anyone has been to some of these ports on the cruise any advice would be appreciated? We have also made reservations to spend 3 days in Barcelona before the cruise leaves and 3 days in Istanbul after. Any suggestions beyond the usual attractions, and for restaurants, would also be appreciated

Thanks much

Sorry I forgot to list the ports of interest. They are:

Palma de Mallorca

Provence (Marseille)

Monte Carlo

Florence/Pisa (Livorno)

Olbia/Porto Cervo, Sardinia

Rome (Civitavecchia)

Amalfi/Positano

Santorini

Rhodes

Kusadasi

Mitilini (Lesbos)

Istanbul

Thanks

Amalfi/Positano: we hired Giovanni from tourofitalydotcom to take us on a day long tour, visiting Amalfi, Sorrento, Ravello, and Positano.

Palma de Mallorca: We took the Bus Turistic into town and did a self-guided historical walking tour, which included stops at the Cathedral, the Arab Baths, and other places I don' remember.

Santorini, Rhodes: I read several guide books, and found self-guided walking tours.

Thanks for the two thumbs way up review of Oceania and the ports. If you don't mind I have a few more questions. Did you book your private tours in advance or just find them as you got off the ship? You refer to them as private tours - were the two of you the only passengers or was it a small group tour? If you had wanted to, would the Oceania excursions still have been available when you reached port? How did the prices compare with the Oceania tours?

Thanks in advance for the info. We really look forward to the cruise.

I booked our private tours several months before leaving. I started a roll call for our cruise and found people to join us, limit was 8 on each tour...with the driver, 9 people in the van.

With 8 people it was MUCH less expensive than the O excursions.In Rome and Florence there was only 4 of us, and the price then was about the same as an O tour, but there was only 4 of us, rather than a busload. WE got to say how long we wanted to spend at each place. For all the tours I planned, I had researched and found what the 4 of us travelling together wanted to see/do, and then let other interested people see the itinerary.

This was my first cruise, and I was a wee bit worried about missing the ship, etc, but no problems at all!

On board, there seemed to be room left for the majority of excursions even once we set sail, a couple were sold out, and a couple were cancelled, I guess for lack of interest.

Have a great time!

Archived