Dining Question - NCL Freestyle

Jimmys Chippy

Which ship will you be sailing on?

What's available varies per ship.

Here's what the Norwegian Jewel has, as an example.

Tsar’s Palace (Main Dining Room)

Cuisine: Continental

Surcharge: No

Reservations Required: No

Azura (Main Dining Room)

Cuisine: Continental

Chin Chin

Cuisine: Asian

Surcharge: Yes, $12.50 per person

Reservations Required: Yes

Teppanyaki and Sushi have an additional surcharge

Le Bistro

Cuisine: French

Surcharge: Yes, $15 per person

Cagney's Steakhouse

Cuisine: Steak

Surcharge: Yes, $20 per person

Tango’s Tapas

Cuisine: Latin/Tapas

Mama’s Italian Kitchen

Cuisine: Casual Italian

Garden Cafe/Kids' Cafe

Cuisine: Assorted Buffet, Food Stations, Kid-Sized Buffet

The Great Outdoors

Cuisine: Assorted

Blue Lagoon

Cuisine: Food Court, Grill

Apart from the main restaurants, how many other eating places are included in the cost? I know that the sushi bars and steak house will be extra, but if we feel like a burger and fries at lunch is that included?

On most ships in the fleet: the Steakhouse, Sushi/Asian and French restaurants are extra.

On most ships that have them, the Italian and Mexican restaurants are free.

On all ships, the buffet and 2 main restaurants are free

Most of the newer ships (Star, Dawn, Pearl, Gem, Jewel) have something called the "Blue Lagoon." It is also free and a GREAT place to go for a quick bite. (yes they have hamburgers and fries....)

Let me give you an example using the Dawn:

Free: Venetian, Aqua, Blue Lagoon, Buffet, Salsa(Mexican), Impressions of Italy (Italian). All others have a cover charge.

Apart from the main restaurants, how many other eating places are included in the cost? I know that the sushi bars and steak house will be extra, but if we feel like a burger and fries at lunch is that included?

Don't worry -- you'll be able to find plenty of restaurants on NCL that are without extra costs. And I've never known any cruise line to charge for burgers, fries, pizza and other fast-food type cuisine.

My recommendation -- if you want to try one of the specialty restaurants one night (but without a cover charge) go for the Italian restaurant. If you want to spoil yourself one night, try Le Bistro with the cover charge. The Steak House is also with a cover charge -- but then there are plenty of steak houses back home in England. How often do you get to dine in a restaurant with French cruise for a relatively modest extra charge?

If you feel like breakfast in bed one morning, also no extra charge but it probably would be a good idea to give the room service guy a small gratuity (but you are under no obligation to do so).

Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping to cruise on the Norwegian Jade around the Med in August, but due to the change of name from the Pride Of Hawaii I was unsure of just what restaurants were included as most of the time different sources were telling you about what wasn't included rather than what was (having looked in some cruise guides and the NCL site I was none the wiser).

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/fleet/shipInformation.html?shipCode=JADE

Go here and click on "Explore the Public Rooms" As you scroll over the name of the restaurant you will see a picture of it and wether there's an added "value" . the wording is a bit odd but you'll see what I mean. Do spend time exploring NCL site as it has so much information.

Enjoy your cruise.:)

Winnie

Don't worry -- you'll be able to find plenty of restaurants on NCL that are without extra costs. And I've never known any cruise line to charge for burgers, fries, pizza and other fast-food type cuisine.

Yes, NCL does not charge for burgers, and there are several good included restaurants, including the Italian, Mexican, and buffet.

Interestingly, RCCL does charge for their fast food burgers though (they put in Johnny Rockets in place of their late cafes on several ships, and Johnny Rockets is not free).

Archived