Dinner Seating?

How do you know what your seating will be at dinner? We have the 8:30pm seating on a 1/6/08 cruise on Marnier of the Seas. We went on a Disney Cruise a couple years ago and did no know that we would share our table with strangers. The sat us at a table of 6 and there were 3 of us. We looked around us and some people seem to be sharing a table with strangers while others had a table all to themself. How is this determined? Thanks

Dinner times and table size are only a request. It is never guaranteed. Your dinner time and table number will be on your Seapass card when you board. Go to the dining room and check out your table. If it isn't to your liking see the Matre'd for a possible change. He may or may not be able to help you.

Here is the issue we had on Disney Magic. I had a party of 3. We were stuck at a table of 6-8 each night. The first night was OK, kind of strange sitting with an older couple of two and what looked to be another family of 3 but we managed threw it. The second night we were sat at the same table except no one was at the table but my family of 3. Soon after we sat down and ordered the matri'd sat a solo young guy with us. We talked to him briefly and he sad he was a guest of one of the employees of the ship crew. Soon after that another guy sat down with him. Their conversation was less than desirable for my two year old daughter to hear. No offense to anyone but I think they were gay and talking about gay acts and so on at our table. OK so we ate quickly and got out of there. The next night we showed up a bit late in hopes of getting a different table. As soon as we arrived the matri'd was going to sit us at the same table and these two guys were already in their seats at the table. Needless to say I raised hell and told the matri'd we were not going to sit at that table and if he didnt get us a table of 4 very quick like I was going to customer service to finish my complaint. The matri'd gave me a bogus excuse about not having any other tables and that we were stuck at that table. I gave him some of the conversation I was hearing the night before and he thought I was full of crap and said he would talk to the guys since they were friends of the crew. I told him he better get me a table of 4 now or else. Soon after that we had a table of 4 the remaining of the cruise. I was not aware that you had to sit with strangers else I would have said something while we were checking in. So if this is your first cruise make sure you find out your dinner seating during check in so you are not suprised like me. This will not happen to me again!! Thanks

Wow! That's a strange way of seating folks!

If you do get a table with folks you simply can't dine with, ask to be moved. They will do their best to accomodate you! I guess we've been lucky--we've always had pretty good tablemates and they've made our cruise much more fun! Lots of interesting conversation and fun!

Good luck!

If you go to the dining room and don't like what you see, just find out what time the dining crew will be available that day for table requests. On our sailings, we've found it to be well organized. They get a lot of situations where folks want to change, and they well might be able to accomodate something for you if that's what you want. We make this our first stop on each cruise.

The next night we showed up a bit late in hopes of getting a different table. As soon as we arrived the matri'd was going to sit us at the same table and these two guys were already in their seats at the table. Needless to say I raised hell and told the matri'd we were not going to sit at that table and if he didnt get us a table of 4 very quick like I was going to customer service to finish my complaint. The matri'd gave me a bogus excuse about not having any other tables and that we were stuck at that table. I gave him some of the conversation I was hearing the night before and he thought I was full of crap and said he would talk to the guys since they were friends of the crew. I told him he better get me a table of 4 now or else. Soon after that we had a table of 4 the remaining of the cruise. Thanks

Um...maybe it's just the way it's written here, but did you try asking the maitre'd nicely about it? It sounds like you just started "raising hell" as soon as you saw the two at the table, and it's not the maitre'd's fault nor would he automatically know what the problem was. Seating can be pretty random, there's a lot of people on board and it can be a difficult juggling problem and certainly not everyone can have their own private table. I imagine trying to switch on the third night, after dinner service has already started, can also be a difficult feat to pull off for the staff.

On Royal Caribbean you are assigned to a dinner time and a table for the duration of the cruise. Sounds like it was the same way on Disney as you were led to the same table each night.

If the population of your table changes during your cruise, it is because your tablemates have gone to the maitre d' and politely asked for a change of table.

When you get on board, go to the dining room and find the table number listed on your SeaPass card. If it is not to your liking, there will be a time on that boarding day when the maitre d' will take requests for changes and try to accommodate them. But there are only so many tables in the dining room, and they are of varying sizes. If everyone who comes on board wants a table for two at the main seating, it's not gonna happen. In fact, there are generally a number of people who would prefer to eat at the main seating but end up assigned to the late one because main seating was filled by the time they made their reservation and/or request.

With a party of three, the smallest table that you could be seated at is a table for four. It is entirely possible that a solo traveller will be placed in that fourth chair.

Here is the issue we had on Disney Magic. Oh my, I thought this was a RCCL thread!

I had a party of 3. We were stuck at a table of 6-8 each night. The first night was OK, kind of strange sitting with an older couple of two and what looked to be another family of 3 but we managed threw it. The second night we were sat at the same table except no one was at the table but my family of 3. Soon after we sat down and ordered the matri'd sat a solo young guy with us. We talked to him briefly and he sad he was a guest of one of the employees of the ship crew. Soon after that another guy sat down with him. Their conversation was less than desirable for my two year old daughter to hear. No offense to anyone but I think they were gay and talking about gay acts and so on at our table. OK so we ate quickly and got out of there. The next night we showed up a bit late in hopes of getting a different table. As soon as we arrived the matri'd was going to sit us at the same table and these two guys were already in their seats at the table. Needless to say I raised hell and told the matri'd we were not going to sit at that table and if he didnt get us a table of 4 very quick like I was going to customer service to finish my complaint. The matri'd gave me a bogus excuse about not having any other tables and that we were stuck at that table. I gave him some of the conversation I was hearing the night before and he thought I was full of crap and said he would talk to the guys since they were friends of the crew. I told him he better get me a table of 4 now or else. Soon after that we had a table of 4 the remaining of the cruise. I was not aware that you had to sit with strangers else I would have said something while we were checking in. So if this is your first cruise make sure you find out your dinner seating during check in so you are not suprised like me. This will not happen to me again!! Thanks

Interesting! Where are yor from? And again, why this Disney experience are you posting on RCCL?

Why does it matter where I am from first of all? Second of all I am sure most cattle boat cruise lines are the same so this was a beware to new cruisers. I had no idea my family would be sitting with others and not at a table just the 4 of us. Thanks for breaking down my post in large RED lettering. It looks nice!!!

Why does it matter where I am from first of all? Second of all I am sure most cattle boat cruise lines are the same so this was a beware to new cruisers. I had no idea my family would be sitting with others and not at a table just the 4 of us. Thanks for breaking down my post in large RED lettering. It looks nice!!!

Mac... what you have described is called Traditional seating and it is pretty standard on mass market lines like Disney and RC... EVERYONE is seated with strangers.. this is part of the experience and should give you a chance to meet others... It can be quite enjoyable...

When you book your cruise, if you would prefer not to be seated with strangers, then yes, you should request a table for four at that time... Waiting until you arrive in the Dining room will usually result in your being told that there is nothing else available, especially if you have chosen the early dinner seating as that is the one that is most requested..

If you are really concerned that you might not get your requested table for four, you should speak with the Head Waiter (Maitre D) upon boarding (before the first dinner) to confirm your request and see if anything can be done to accommodate you... sometimes they can, sometimes they can't...

It's not personal... this is just part of the cruise experience...

We are going on Mariner 1/20/08 and we requested that we sit with some of the people we talk to on these boards. Everyone called their travel agents, etc and now when I look up my reservation online, it shows their reservations linked with ours.

I would rather sit with people I have been talking to for months now rather than strangers.

Here is the issue we had on Disney Magic. I had a party of 3. We were stuck at a table of 6-8 each night. The first night was OK, kind of strange sitting with an older couple of two and what looked to be another family of 3 but we managed threw it. The second night we were sat at the same table except no one was at the table but my family of 3. Soon after we sat down and ordered the matri'd sat a solo young guy with us. We talked to him briefly and he sad he was a guest of one of the employees of the ship crew. Soon after that another guy sat down with him. Their conversation was less than desirable for my two year old daughter to hear. No offense to anyone but I think they were gay and talking about gay acts and so on at our table. OK so we ate quickly and got out of there. The next night we showed up a bit late in hopes of getting a different table. As soon as we arrived the matri'd was going to sit us at the same table and these two guys were already in their seats at the table. Needless to say I raised hell and told the matri'd we were not going to sit at that table and if he didnt get us a table of 4 very quick like I was going to customer service to finish my complaint. The matri'd gave me a bogus excuse about not having any other tables and that we were stuck at that table. I gave him some of the conversation I was hearing the night before and he thought I was full of crap and said he would talk to the guys since they were friends of the crew. I told him he better get me a table of 4 now or else. Soon after that we had a table of 4 the remaining of the cruise. I was not aware that you had to sit with strangers else I would have said something while we were checking in. So if this is your first cruise make sure you find out your dinner seating during check in so you are not suprised like me. This will not happen to me again!! Thanks

I´m quite puzzled here. I don´t know DCL at all, so what kind of Dining do they offer? Is it traditional or some sort of Freestyle/Anytime?

It kind of sounds like traditional with fixed seating. Well if it was like this I´m wondering why you were surprised to be seated at the same table night after night with the same people and I can´t understand what arriving a little late would have changed here:confused:

However for RCI I can tell you check-in is not the place to ask about dining assignments. The Table assignments are done by then and the check-in personel will have no clue about where your table is located and how a large a table that would be. They are land based, hired personal and don´t even have the power or ability to change anything.

To begin with you should check with your TA or whoever you booked with for your requested Dining time (Main or late seating) and your requested table size. Note this is a requestion and nothing more, there´s no guarantees for you to get what you requested.

Now once you have boarded the ship you can walk over to the Dining Room and check out your table. Your table assignment as well as Dinner Seating is printed on your SeaPass Card. If you are not happy with what you got, check the Cruise Compass for the time and location to request changes with Dining Room assignments. They will try to accomodate everybody but of course can´t in all cases. Sometimes they might also not be able to change your assignments until after the first night.

And just on a side note, asking nicely usually gets you more than raising a hell;)

Again I was not puzzled after the first night and the waiter explained it to me. I was surprised the first night of our cruise. I was under the assumption that this was like a restaurant and we would be seated alone. This was my first cruise so I had no idea to ask for seating for just my family and not sit at a group style table. Again it was a lesson learned. This was a FYI for anyone else that has not cruised before. I was not on this board before our cruise so I had not knowledge of how a cruise worked prior to taking the cruise. Thats all!! No big deal! Thanks

Again I was not puzzled after the first night and the waiter explained it to me. I was surprised the first night of our cruise. I was under the assumption that this was like a restaurant and we would be seated alone. This was my first cruise so I had no idea to ask for seating for just my family and not sit at a group style table. Again it was a lesson learned. This was a FYI for anyone else that has not cruised before. I was not on this board before our cruise so I had not knowledge of how a cruise worked prior to taking the cruise. Thats all!! No big deal! Thanks

Well good for you, but your last post even puzzles me more as now you are saying after the first night and an explanation of how it works by the waiter you were aware of the Dining settings.

So why did you show up a little late the third night in hopes to be seated at another table?:confused:

Sorry I don´t get it:confused:

Anyway happy cruising :)

Because I Am A Dumb Ass And Hoped That These Guys Were Just Floaters To Any Free Seat In The Dining Room And Maybe They Would Not Show Of Be Seated Somewhere Else. If They Didn't Show Then I Would Not Have Said A Word. Again Dining At The Dining Room Is Not Mandatory And Probably Not Something I Would Want To Do If I Was A Single Man. Why Would A Single Man Want To Chat About Sex Stuff In Front A Family And Others? The Problem Was Not With Me It Was With Them. Maybe I Handled Ir Wrong But I Spent $3,500 On A 7 Night Cruise And Wanted It To Be Perfect. Its Just Like People Getting Pissed Off At People Wearing Jeans To Formal Night. My Problem Far Outweighed That! Sorry I Started This Post!

Mac,

I would be beyond irritated by persons of any sexual orientation discussing sex acts at the table, whether or not a child was there. It's simply not appropriate dinner table talk.

I'm sorry you didn't know about the group seating most cruiselines do. It's pretty standard.

Next time you are seated with strangers, attempt to make the best of it. Most people on a cruise ship are nice folks. There are people on this board who swear they have made lifelong friends out of dinner companions that were strangers. I, personally, do not have this experience, nor do I desire it, but have greatly enjoyed meeting the people we have dined with.

If, on the other hand, you find your dinner mates to be intolerable, do request a table change. Lack of common interests does not really meet this requirement, but persons speaking a different language do - I'd like to chat, not have a silent table. I have suffered thru a couple bigots - that is something I find intolerable. But I've found that steering conversation to topics not likely to be inflammatory to be a decent way of handling it.

Again, whatever table you find yourself at next, do try to make the best of it. Remember that to the strangers at your table, you and your family are strangers to them. THere is common ground - you are all on the same cruise, and enjoying teh same meal.

Good luck to you and have a great next cruise!

We have a party of 15 so I hope that we would all be together. Either way we will check it out once we hit the boat next Sunday. Thanks again!

I could be wrong, but I don´t think they have tables holding 15, so be prepared that your group might be splitted at two tables. Also in the case that not all people in your group were booked under the same reservation number you need to cross reference all reservation numbers, otherwise you won´t be seated together.

Mac,

I would be beyond irritated by persons of any sexual orientation discussing sex acts at the table, whether or not a child was there. It's simply not appropriate dinner table talk.

I'm sorry you didn't know about the group seating most cruiselines do. It's pretty standard.

Next time you are seated with strangers, attempt to make the best of it. Most people on a cruise ship are nice folks. There are people on this board who swear they have made lifelong friends out of dinner companions that were strangers. I, personally, do not have this experience, nor do I desire it, but have greatly enjoyed meeting the people we have dined with.

If, on the other hand, you find your dinner mates to be intolerable, do request a table change. Lack of common interests does not really meet this requirement, but persons speaking a different language do - I'd like to chat, not have a silent table. I have suffered thru a couple bigots - that is something I find intolerable. But I've found that steering conversation to topics not likely to be inflammatory to be a decent way of handling it.

Again, whatever table you find yourself at next, do try to make the best of it. Remember that to the strangers at your table, you and your family are strangers to them. THere is common ground - you are all on the same cruise, and enjoying teh same meal.

Good luck to you and have a great next cruise!

Well said!

We have a party of 15 so I hope that we would all be together. Either way we will check it out once we hit the boat next Sunday. Thanks again!

I'm pretty sure you will be split into at least two tables as they don't have tables to accommodate that many people... With that large of a group, please be prepared that they may not be able to accommodate your special requests after you board... that's just too large of a group to have to rearrange after boarding...

I might also suggest that throwing any kind of fit to try and get what you want at that time, will not get you what you want...

Archived