Help! A Visa Question

luvabeach

We are leaving in 2 weeks on the Coral. We are South African passport holders residing in SOuthern California with green cards. I just realized we don not have visa's for the countries we are visiting on this cruise. Researching the web, I believe under a certain amount of time in each port we will be ok without a visa. The only place that concerns me is Panama. Princess is most unhelpful and quite rude about this and refuses to even discuss it....says I have to wait to call the Panamanian consulate on Monday. My husband and I are quite happy to stay on board and not do an excursion .....does anyone know the rules as a non-US citizen (who does have a green card though).??? Princess also started quoting their non refund policy...totally obnoxious, as I will pay and go to extreme lengths (Other than fly across country) to get a visa. Cannot believe we are the first non-US citizens travelling on this cruise who need a visa and have not gotten one. ANy advice to help me last till I can call other authorities on Monday??

And, it makes absolutely no difference if you stay on the ship or not. You're in the territorial waters of Panama, and therefore you need the visa whether you leave the ship or not. And, if you show up at the terminal, and you don't have the required visas, you will not be allowed on the ship and you don't get a refund. I know a couple who, a few years ago, booked and paid for a cruise that included China. They had no clue that they needed a visa for China and they didn't have one, so when they arrived at the pier to board the ship, they were refused boarding and had to go home, losing all their money.

To me, this seems strange. Given the number of foreign based ships that travel through the canal every day I find it hard to believe that each and crew member/passenger of non-us origin has a visa. I can understand it if you are going to stay there for a period of time, but just passing through or only there for 24 hours or less?

Looking at the paperwork and time frame involved (anywhere from 2-3 weeks to months) I find it difficult to believe that many people (or companies) get visas. And they are only good for a certain period of time (depending on type) so that would mean re-applying perhaps multiple times in a given year just to go through the canal.

I'm not saying that they don't enforce their laws, it just seems like there should be some exceptions for those freighters etc. passing through and cruise ships that are there less than 24 hours.

Cheers,

Bill and Sharon,

My travel agent agrees with you 100%......and is adamant that not only would we be allowed off the ship to do an excursion (that is if we wanted to,,,which I don't) in Panama.....but the fact that we are green card holders and have current passports, she maintains is much more important. Anyway, am waiting until tomorrow morning until I can actually speak to someone at a visa service and maybe understand someone at the Panamanian consul. I am driving my husband crazy...he really trusts our travel agent and agrees with you. There must be thousands of people on cruise ships from all over the world every day going thru the canal.....China, Japan etc. Their countries are also on the need a visa list and am sure they don't get them. Interesting that Aruba, Jamaica and Costa Rica all state that under a certain amount of hours (different for each)....basically just doing an excursion from a cruise ship ....you do not need a visa at all! Guess, those countries certainly rely on their tourist trade. Thanks for listening and giving your advice.

This is copied directly from Panama's Visa Website:

Who requires a visa?

Required by all except the following for stays of up to 90 days (at the discretion of the Immigration authorities):

Argentina, Slovenia, Latvia, Republic of Korea, Andorra, Estonia, Letonia, San Marino, Austria, Finland, Lichtenstein, South Korea, Belgium, France, Lithuania, Singapore, Bolivia, Germany, Luxembourg, Spain, Brazil, Greece, Malta, Sweden, Chile, Great Britain, Monaco, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Netherlands, The Uruguay, Colombia, Honduras, Nicaragua, Vatican City, Cyprus, Hungary, Norway, Czech Republic, Iceland, Paraguay, Denmark, Israel, Poland, El Salvador, Ireland, Portugal, Slovakia, Italy

Tourist cards: Antigua & Barbuda, Curacao, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, Aruba, Japan, Australia, Canada, Mexico, Taiwan, Bahamas, Dominica, New Zealand, Thailand, Barbados, Grenada San Cristobal & Nevis, United States of America, Belize, Guyana, Saint Vincent & Grenadines, Bermuda, Saint Lucia, Venezuela.

As you can see, holding a passport from South Africa means you need a visa. It doesn't make any difference if you hold a green card, you're still a citizen of South Africa and not a US citizen--a green card only means something for the United States---other countries could care less if you have a green, yellow or red card, they only care what's written on your passport. Unless your travel agent is a governmental official from Panama, you really shouldn't listen to her. It doesn't matter if you agree with their rules or not, if you think they're fair or not, it's their rules. When we flew to Cape Town, we had to get a visa, and we didn't question it one bit. So what's the problem here? If Panama says you need a visa, you need the visa, plain and simple.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.lawyers-abogados.net/en/Services/Immigration/panama-authorised-visa-requirements.htm

"Citizens of the following countries should request an Authorised Tourist Visa before arriving in Panama. The Authorise Tourist Visa is requested either through the closest Panamanian Consulate or Embassy or through a Panamanian lawyer or law firm. Please note that the application usually takes about 3 weeks (for a standard authorised visa) and sometimes up to two months (where the approval of the Security & Defence Committee is required). Approval of the visa is completely discretionary, and the Immigration Department will simply indicate whether or not it has been approved. South Africa"

:eek:

No-one even commented on a visa!!! I should have listened to my travel agent to begin with (and not to all the cruise critic experts lol!!!) Under 8 hours in a country (and being one is on a cruise ship to begin with!) a visa is NOT needed...even for Panama. I tried for days (in vain) to get through to a Panamanian consulate and eventually decided to trust my travel agent as well as 2 visa companies! The aggravation and worry I went through was horrific and all I can advise anyone is NEVER ask a cruise critic member any question, other than their opinion regarding food or excursions!! It really ruined the beginning of a wonderful vacation and I could kick myself for ever having asked the question! Will post a detailed review, however ,in a few days time. We had a wonderful trip!!!

Archived