Coronation Hotel Sydney

coiran

Hi guys,

Y'all go pull up the April 2007 KOALA thread Sydney to LA

Look through the last posts after they returned. Earl has

a link to his pics and some are of the Coronation. They had

several couples that stayed there.

That elevator sounds identical to the one we had at our hotel in Rome!

Hi guys,

Y'all go pull up the April 2007 KOALA thread Sydney to LA

Look through the last posts after they returned. Earl has

a link to his pics and some are of the Coronation. They had

several couples that stayed there.

That elevator sounds identical to the one we had at our hotel in Rome!

What ship was it?

Ron

I believe there is one step from the sidewalk to the entrance of the hotel. (I may be incorrect on this)

the elevator is very small; big enough for 2 average size adults with one piece of luggage each.

there are stairs from the 'lobby' area to the various floors of the hotel.

there is usually one person manning the front desk area at one time.

I think you're right about a step from the sidewalk. Is your wife able to manage one step JPO?

With help, she can manage one step with difficulty. However, she uses a small electric cart to get around for shopping etc. Without a ramp, the scooter could not be used to leave the hotel. Also, I wonder how handicap friendly the street are in Sydney ... are there curb cutouts to allow wheelchairs etc?

I have to say that it is looking as though the Coronation is not the best choice for us.

. Also, I wonder how handicap friendly the street are in Sydney ... are there curb cutouts to allow wheelchairs etc?

think of Sydney as you would Miami...it's not as backward as you are imagining...

but I would not book your wife in there if she is handicapped...some hotels were built before scooters were invented!!

think of Sydney as you would Miami...it's not as backward as you are imagining...

but I would not book your wife in there if she is handicapped...some hotels were built before scooters were invented!!

I'm not imaging Sydney as backward at all. Just curious as I know that parts of New York City and London have no curb cutouts etc. We muddle through pretty well but in this case, I will be leaving her for a day or so as I head off to Uluru so I have to be a bit more concerned about details.

With help, she can manage one step with difficulty. However, she uses a small electric cart to get around for shopping etc. Without a ramp, the scooter could not be used to leave the hotel. Also, I wonder how handicap friendly the street are in Sydney ... are there curb cutouts to allow wheelchairs etc?

I have to say that it is looking as though the Coronation is not the best choice for us.

JPO, Sydney is fairly handicapped-friendly these days and your wife will be able to get around the city sight-seeing and shopping without any difficulty. There are curb cutouts at all intersections and shops/attractions all have ramp access if they are needed.

However, I agree that the Coronation might pose some problems for her ... there is a small step at the hotel entrance but a bigger problem may be that access to the lift and the upsatirs hallways may be tight ... the hotel was certainly built before they invented motorised wheelchairs and buggies! I would suggest you contact and ask the hotel about access

As a first step though, I will wander past there at lunch time today (I work just a block or so away) and have a quick look for you ... so watch this space, I will report back later.

Cheers

Bob

Bob: Thanks for your kind offer and the information about Sydney. We are very much looking forward to a city which we have seen on the TV mainly during New Years fireworks displays (or shots of the distinctive Opera House).

JPO, The recce is done and I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that the step from the footpath (what we call the sidewalk) into the hotel is a non-issue. There is a a rise of no more than half and inch from the footpath onto a tiled area and then a similar drop onto the carpeted area inside. I have no doubt that any motorised cart would be able to get up this "bump" without any difficulty.

The bad news is that I think your wife will have problems getting into and out of the lift when she is on her own using her cart. The problem is that while the lift itself is automatic, the doors aren't ... both the internal and external doors need to be slid open manually. I think this is likely to present real challenges for disabled people who are on their own, and particularly in those cases where reach and manouverability are an issue as they are for someone in a motorised cart.

I am not sure how mobile your nearest and dearest is and whether she would be able to get from the lift to her room on foot. However, even if she can, there is a problem of what to do with the cart when it's not in use. There is simply nowhere to park it in the "foyer" and, by the way, I use that word very loosely as the hotel reception area is actually no more than a hallway from the street to the lift.

Bottom line is I think you may want to look for another hotel that is a bit younger and more disabled-friendly than the Coronation is. Let me know if I can help you find something suitable.

Cheers

Bob

Archived