Coronation Hotel Sydney

coiran

Has anyone had any experience with the Coronation Hotel in Sydney - Tripadviser reviews are mixed but I don't have much faith in their reviews anyway. We are currently planning on staying in Sydney for about four days after our SFO - SYD cruise in Oct 08.

Ron

I've asked this question many times. The hotel was suggested by someone on this board and I went for it. I tried for months to get other's opinions on this board and could not. When I booked the hotel the reviews were not so bad, then they turned not so good. That together with the fact I can't find anyone on this board that has a first hand opinion made me nervous and I just ended up cancelling with only 2 months before sailing. I had 7 rooms booked and I wasn't sure putting little ones and the old folks into the hotel and something going wrong.

A lot of people have used the "bid" function on Priceline.com and ended up with the Sydney Marriott for around $175 per night but because I had 7 rooms I didn't want to chance that we were in different hotels. While this price is a lot more then the Coronation hotel it was pretty close to what I ended up paying for the hotel I ended up in which is not as many stars.

I also read on one of the many sites I checked that the Coronation priced hotels arre more like a backpacking hotel which is a little TOO simple for me. We spent a lot of money on the cruise and everything else and just to end going that far down in quality at the end of the trip seemed a little silly for the few dollars we were saving.

I've asked this question many times. The hotel was suggested by someone on this board and I went for it. I tried for months to get other's opinions on this board and could not. When I booked the hotel the reviews were not so bad, then they turned not so good. That together with the fact I can't find anyone on this board that has a first hand opinion made me nervous and I just ended up cancelling with only 2 months before sailing. I had 7 rooms booked and I wasn't sure putting little ones and the old folks into the hotel and something going wrong.

A lot of people have used the "bid" function on Priceline.com and ended up with the Sydney Marriott for around $175 per night but because I had 7 rooms I didn't want to chance that we were in different hotels. While this price is a lot more then the Coronation hotel it was pretty close to what I ended up paying for the hotel I ended up in which is not as many stars.

I also read on one of the many sites I checked that the Coronation priced hotels arre more like a backpacking hotel which is a little TOO simple for me. We spent a lot of money on the cruise and everything else and just to end going that far down in quality at the end of the trip seemed a little silly for the few dollars we were saving.

One of the group on our roll call lives in Sydney and works downtown - he is going to do a visual check and let me know.

Ron

Part of the tripadvisor review commented on the actual room being under par - mold in the shower type thing. Also they complained about the noise from parties in the hotel reaching the rooms. Now that I've cancelled it will probably turn out to be the best kept secret of Sydney. :rolleyes: I'm very curious to what you find out. After I made the reservation though I just never had a good feeling about it.

If the Coronation Hotel that you talk about is the one I know, it is in Park Street right in the middle of the central business district just near the Town Hall ... so a really good location.

It is what we in Australia call a pub ... that is, it is primarily a bar. Historically, pubs in Australia had to provide rooms for travelers so they always had a few basic rooms set aside to comply with the law. Some pubs see accommodation as something they have to do and therefore don't spend much money whereas others see it as an opportunity and put greater effort into providing rooms that have "boutique" appeal by comparison to the big hotels or motels.

Haven't stayed at the Coronation myself but it is rated as 3.5 stars in our auto association rating systems ... which means the rooms should be quite comfortable but without the extras (or the prices) that one gets in the Hiltons, Marriotts, etc.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Bob

If the Coronation Hotel that you talk about is the one I know, it is in Park Street right in the middle of the central business district just near the Town Hall ... so a really good location.

It is what we in Australia call a pub ... that is, it is primarily a bar. Historically, pubs in Australia had to provide rooms for travelers so they always had a few basic rooms set aside to comply with the law. Some pubs see accommodation as something they have to do and therefore don't spend much money whereas others see it as an opportunity and put greater effort into providing rooms that have "boutique" appeal by comparison to the big hotels or motels.

Haven't stayed at the Coronation myself but it is rated as 3.5 stars in our auto association rating systems ... which means the rooms should be quite comfortable but without the extras (or the prices) that one gets in the Hiltons, Marriotts, etc.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Bob

The info I have lists it on George Street - pretty much central downtown - close to most everything - I guess my question was - Will it suffice for 4 days when we will only sleep and shower there and spend most of our time touring?? BTW - when you speak of PUB, is it similar to the PUBS in England??

Ron

The Coronation is in Park Street just around the corner from Geoege Street. Yes, pubs in Australia have many similarities and indeed trace their origins back to those in England. As things have evelved, they are no longer the same though ... they don't tend for example to have the cosy, family-friendly "cottage" atmosphere or the ornate architecture of British pubs (but that is generalising and potentially opening things up to discussion that's probably not really needed here).

As a place just to sleep, though, I personally think a pub like the Coronation is a great value-based option. I have stayed in many such places over the years, and while sometimes they are more basic than I would have thought or liked, the Coronation's location and 3.5 star rating makes it in my view, a good option to consider.

Bob

It is what we in Australia call a pub ... that is, it is primarily a bar. Historically, pubs in Australia had to provide rooms for travelers so they always had a few basic rooms set aside to comply with the law.
Small historical aside: Traditionally, in Australia it was quite difficult to for pubs and restaurants to get an alcohol licence. This was a hangover from a time of rather puritanical attitudes in the country. So both pubs and restaurants found ways of adapting to make it easier.

As far as pubs were concerned, it was always easier for a place offering accommodation to get an alcohol licence, because it was recognised that travellers' needs had to be catered for. So pubs added rooms and called themselves "hotels" in order to get an alcohol licence, although non-residents could then enjoy the benefits as well. Many Australians continue to use the word "hotel" when referring to pubs, although my sense is that this usage has declined in the last 20 years (the period for which I've been a visitor to Australia).

And restaurants got around it by simply selling no alcohol, but inviting diners to bring their own drinks, charging a corkage fee if desired (although many restaurants didn't do so). This is the origin of the great Australian "BYO" tradition, which continues today even though it's much easier for a restaurant to get an alcohol licence - you see many restaurants that welcome BYO even though they are licensed and can sell you theirs too.

So far, it doesn't sound too bad - we did get a good group rate for our CC roll call group. I am still awaiting a first hand report from one of the roll call group that works in downtown Sydney.

Ron

So far, it doesn't sound too bad - we did get a good group rate for our CC roll call group. I am still awaiting a first hand report from one of the roll call group that works in downtown Sydney.

Ron

Will be interested in your roll call group member finds out ... I have enjoyed the pub's hospitality more than once (I actually work about 2 blocks from it and walk by it on the way to/from the station most days) but not its accommodation. BTW, if you haven't seen it, the hotel has a website at www.hotelcoronation.com.au that has a couple of indicative (although from past experiences, not necessarily accurate) pics of the rooms.

Also BTW, I was curious enough to have a look at the tripadviser reviews on the Coronation since they were mentioned by notentirelynormal ... and yes, some good and some not so good. In my experience, this seems quite normal for tripadviser and indeed for other reader review websites - it seems to me that people are more inclined to talk about (and even exaggerate) their bad experiences than their good ones. Over the years, I've found that hotels I've stayed in that have had mixed tripadviser reviews are actually quite fine, with any minuses being far outweighed by the pluses ... but then I'm a "glass half full" rather than a "glass half empty" type of person.

Cheers

Bob

Hi all, we stayed at the Hotel for a total of 5 nights in Nov. 2007.

Is it a 4 or 5 star hotel with all the amenities? A definite NO

Would I stay there again? YES because of the great location and the price (approx. 109 AU dollars a night, less for a group)

Were the rooms adequate in size and cleanliness? YES we had no mold and I am a stickler for that kind of stuff ie I check for it and get grossed out if it is there (which it wasn't in our shower etc.)

Was it noisy? Not for us, we were in room 304 (I think) and it overlooked the other side of the building and a pipe etc. In other words, no view but we didn't care. Our friends were opposite from us and overlooked the street and they never heard any noise either (room 306 or 303?)

Smoke smell: if you are a non-smoker it is a problem in the front entrance way. There is no lobby in this hotel. The receptionist sits in a tiny alcove about 5' x 6'. Very friendly and we would give the young lady a 5/5 for helpfulness and niceness!

Pub: yes, the pub entrance is right next to the hotel hallway entrance. When you enter from the sidewalk, you will be shocked at the rather dreary hallway and then this tiny alcove to sign in. If this turns you off, then don't stay here.

For us, we recommend it to people who can overlook the lack of a fancy foyer.

You will see homeless people on this street. There is a Woolworths store next to this hotel which sells groceries. Woolies (its nickname) is a major grocery chain in Australia, so having one nearby is great. Another food chain is called Coles and there is a store (or maybe 2) within walking distance of this hotel.

Hope this info helps!

Hi all, we stayed at the Hotel for a total of 5 nights in Nov. 2007.

Is it a 4 or 5 star hotel with all the amenities? A definite NO

Would I stay there again? YES because of the great location and the price (approx. 109 AU dollars a night, less for a group)

Were the rooms adequate in size and cleanliness? YES we had no mold and I am a stickler for that kind of stuff ie I check for it and get grossed out if it is there (which it wasn't in our shower etc.)

Was it noisy? Not for us, we were in room 304 (I think) and it overlooked the other side of the building and a pipe etc. In other words, no view but we didn't care. Our friends were opposite from us and overlooked the street and they never heard any noise either (room 306 or 303?)

Smoke smell: if you are a non-smoker it is a problem in the front entrance way. There is no lobby in this hotel. The receptionist sits in a tiny alcove about 5' x 6'. Very friendly and we would give the young lady a 5/5 for helpfulness and niceness!

Pub: yes, the pub entrance is right next to the hotel hallway entrance. When you enter from the sidewalk, you will be shocked at the rather dreary hallway and then this tiny alcove to sign in. If this turns you off, then don't stay here.

For us, we recommend it to people who can overlook the lack of a fancy foyer.

You will see homeless people on this street. There is a Woolworths store next to this hotel which sells groceries. Woolies (its nickname) is a major grocery chain in Australia, so having one nearby is great. Another food chain is called Coles and there is a store (or maybe 2) within walking distance of this hotel.

Hope this info helps!

Good to hear a positive review - the reviews on tripadvisor (which I have little faith in) are rather dismal. If it is clean, has a shower and towels - it will work - we plan on spending most of the day touring. I do hear that the pub and restaurant have good food at reasonable prices and that the hotel is located near just about all the tour sites.

Ron

I forgot to mention the very small elevator in this hotel.

It will fit 2 people at a time, with one bag each. Can you see it?

There is a staircase if you wish to walk up to your room.

The elevator is something out of the 1930's or 1940's I would think.

You get in, close the elevator door, then you pull the wire door closed. To get out, reverse the procedure.

So, everybody this is not a fancy new place but the rooms are fine.

My first impression was not estatic to say the least but once I saw the room and bathroom, I figured it was fine.

There is a small fridge in the room, no safe and you can ask for extra towels. I don't remember a hairdryer being provided.

No room service that I can remember as this is not a fancy hotel.

Did not eat in the restaurant or drink in the pub but it is open early in the morning ie 9 AM or so; closing hour I am not sure.

You will see homeless people on this street.

I wouldn't worry too much about this aspect. You would be hard pressed to find a street in Sydney that doesn't have homeless people. There also shouldn't a probelm with the smell of cigarette smoke anymore. Smoking in pubs was banned last year.

I emailed someone that had stayed at the Coronation and below is her reply to me. I also asked her about a wine shop (bottle shop). They purchased two cases of wine to carry onboard. I googled the bottle shop. It is near the hotel. Also, xxxx and others from cruise critic group (2007 KOALAs) stayed at the Coronation.

Yes, we would stay at the Coronation again. It was perfect for what we wanted to do--which is find a low cost place to sleep in Sydney so we could spend our $$ on other things. I'm not sure if you've checked the hotel rates for Sydney--but they are through the roof. Also, at the Coronation they let our friends into their room at 8:30 am even tho check in time wasn't until 3pm. We heard from folks staying at the Four Seasons that they were made to wait until 3.01pm precisely before being allowed access to their room! If I were you, I'd ask for a larger room--we did and were given #205 which faces an interior courtyard (not a thing to see--just a place for the AC units) Our room was very nice, clean, well maintained. But we are not ultra fussy people--but I have a thing about mold and bugs and neither were evident. We thought the hotel had a funky charm--and the location for sightseeing was ideal esp at the price. The Woolies is right next door (food, clothing, etc) and the train station & tons of shopping right below the Woolies at the Town Center station.

The bottle shop--I'm not positive but I think it was the Oak Barrel Bottle Shop, 150-152 Elizabeth Street.

SYDNEY 2000 NSW

I wouldn't worry too much about this aspect. You would be hard pressed to find a street in Sydney that doesn't have homeless people. There also shouldn't a probelm with the smell of cigarette smoke anymore. Smoking in pubs was banned last year.

When we visited Sydney last April we didn't see any homeless or people begging for money at all we felt comfortable every where we went.

We have a real problem with people begging for money in most major Canadian cities right now.

When we visited Sydney last April we didn't see any homeless or people begging for money at all we felt comfortable every where we went.

We have a real problem with people begging for money in most major Canadian cities right now.

They don't beg so much, they are just there. Some will have a cardboard sign of some sort, but most of them don't get in your face.

Did you go to Circular Quay at all? There is a lady there named Gina who lives under the eaves of the railway station. Every now and then they try to move her on but she keeps coming back. She's got one of the best views in Sydney. She helps out at the news stand so he can have a break from time to time.

They don't beg so much, they are just there. Some will have a cardboard sign of some sort, but most of them don't get in your face.

Did you go to Circular Quay at all? There is a lady there named Gina who lives under the eaves of the railway station. Every now and then they try to move her on but she keeps coming back. She's got one of the best views in Sydney. She helps out at the news stand so he can have a break from time to time.

Yes we stayed at the Marriot Circular Quay, a beautiful hotel in a fantastic location. No we didn't notice the homeless lady there. However, at Bondi Beach we hiked the coastal trail and noticed that someone had built a shelter overlooking the beach, we asked one of the locals what it was and he said that there was a homeless guy that had been living there for quite awhile and they were trying to get him to move on. He probably had the best views of the beach from his shelter up in the cliffs.

yes we also did the walk from Bondi Beach to Bronte Beach & saw this shelter; very interesting as it had a lawn chair, etc. out. We thought it was either a home for someone or was it an art sculpture concept, similar to what we had seen in other areas of Australia.

As previous poster said, what a fabulous view! And the weather is so much better than what I see today out my window: snow! Only about an inch or two but the trees are beautiful.

An idea other than a hotel in Sydney is an apartment; if you are staying for a few days, an apartment might do the trick as you have more space and can also do some light cooking.

I forgot to mention the very small elevator in this hotel.

It will fit 2 people at a time, with one bag each. Can you see it?

There is a staircase if you wish to walk up to your room.

The elevator is something out of the 1930's or 1940's I would think.

You get in, close the elevator door, then you pull the wire door closed. To get out, reverse the procedure.

So, everybody this is not a fancy new place but the rooms are fine.

My first impression was not estatic to say the least but once I saw the room and bathroom, I figured it was fine.

There is a small fridge in the room, no safe and you can ask for extra towels. I don't remember a hairdryer being provided.

No room service that I can remember as this is not a fancy hotel.

Did not eat in the restaurant or drink in the pub but it is open early in the morning ie 9 AM or so; closing hour I am not sure.

My wife can not walk up steps and uses a small electric cart to travel anything other than short distances. I plan to make a trip to Uluru so she will be on her own for 1-2 days. This elevator worries me since she might have difficulty opening/closing the inner door. I guess she could back in so as to be facing the front. Does this sound feasible or should we look elsewhere for our Sydney stay Also, I asked the hotel if there were stairs that she would have to climb to get into the hotel and to a room. They mentioned the elevator but our experience is that people are not even aware of steps when they exist (up from lobby to elevator area, etc). Do you remember whether there are any stairs at all to be climbed?

My wife can not walk up steps and uses a small electric cart to travel anything other than short distances. I plan to make a trip to Uluru so she will be on her own for 1-2 days. This elevator worries me since she might have difficulty opening/closing the inner door. I guess she could back in so as to be facing the front. Does this sound feasible or should we look elsewhere for our Sydney stay Also, I asked the hotel if there were stairs that she would have to climb to get into the hotel and to a room. They mentioned the elevator but our experience is that people are not even aware of steps when they exist (up from lobby to elevator area, etc). Do you remember whether there are any stairs at all to be climbed?

I think you and us are the only ones staying at the Coronation - Please stick with me. I don't think it is bad as tripadvisor reviews say. I am sure the staff will help your wife get around. We will not be leaving Sydney so we can help as mmuch as we can.

Ron

Archived