Millenium: What are your thoughts on it's condition?

rebeccaluvscruising

OMG - my husband and I were just thinking back and he still raves about the cabin we were in. 9201 - and you are one deck down, so you won't have the chair scraping issue. Which, btw, I still wouldn't trade. We felt lucky to get the CC aft cabin. LOVED it. You are in for a treat.

What is your email address? I will send you a link to our photos.

db8591@comcast.net

Thanks!

We’ll be on Millie in a couple weeks so I will report back on her condition. Ships coming back to the Caribbean from overseas often look a little rough around the T/A sailing. Most of the maintenance that involves varnish and painting is scheduled when the ship is in warmer climates. Anyhow we have one of the aft(ish) CC cabins 6143 so will let you know the general condition.

Happy New Years!

We were on her in September and had a lovely cruise. We've sailed three different lines so far - Celebrity has the edge for us - service, food and clientele are a cut above for our preference (don't need a nursery or a retirement home.)

I can't really say if you will be disappointed. The biggest cosmetic issue we saw was bleach stains due to the intensive cleaning to protect from noro - leaving some towels stained and a film on many wall fixtures. I welcomed the cleaning - others complained that there was a film on the buttons on the elevator. (Me? Bring on the bleach film! We had a healthy ship!)

We had an aft CC cabin - loved it. HUGE balcony - HUGE. Could easily fit a dozen people (I've got photos to prove it!) Room service was great, the CC cabins have an enhanced room service menu. Loved our room steward, I have no idea when he slept. We would bring back wine and he would make sure it was chilled or open and breathing. We shared some of our findings with the wine steward. Had a blast.

Room was impeccably clean - minor wear and tear. It was a nice touch to get a call just before room service delivery. We enjoyed room service breakfast daily, especially the yogurt and fruit parfait (we bring our own french press - we are coffee snobs and just order a pot of hot water.) Only frequented buffet for sushi and ice cream so can't speak to that. They didn't allow passengers to serve themselves in the buffet area - a noro prevention thing and that delighted me. Some it annoyed.

Aqua Spa Cafe was awesome - just loved it. We did use the specialty restaurant once, it was very nice. We cancelled our 2nd reservation though because we enjoyed our main dining room waiter and asst waiter and we had an intimate table for 2 that sat right by the orchestra. We had to skip courses though, eating in port . . . followed by sushi, ice cream . . . well for some crazy reason, never did get really hungry!

The library was closed for the entire cruise because of noro. I brought my own books so I could care less.

To my knowledge - every other area was in working order. I take that back, one of our pals mentioned the kiddie pool at kids club wasn't working, we suspected because of the previous noro outbreak. And I read a review from another on my exact cruise who was upset the TVs in the sports bar all weren't working. I didn't even know there was a sports bar. And if I had known, I would have avoided it anyway.

I enjoyed the less frequented wooden lounge chairs in the T-pool area. Views are amazing . . . it is quiet, comfortable and perfect. Also the Navigator lounge to watch the sunset and enjoy a drink.

We skip most of the ship entertainment - just find it cheesy. All those Simon Cowell comments on American Idol - well, he's right. But the orchestra and some of the live music can be great.

The normal wear/tear on some furniture or heavily used carpeting was similar to what you see at hotels. Didn't bother us or our experience in the least and several of us were laughing at what we had read on the boards. But, to be fair, we were on vacation - in Europe - so seeing a stain or worn area on the carpet with a backdrop of Venice. Um, we didn't notice. I wouldn't say cruising is our favorite and certainly not our only type of vacation - but we loved the Millie. But again . . . we were in Europe. ON VACATION! What's not to love?

We found service excellent and the ship very well maintained. One of the pools was out of commission a day or two while they replaced the wood plankings - but that didn't bother us either. There were other pools and I was glad to see them doing maintenance. The new wood they installed looked awesome. And they had it back up for the sea days which were the popular pool days. Speaking of - the T-Pool after touring all day on your feet was amazing!

If you expect pristine conditions - I would sail on a ship immediately following dry-dock (for internal refurbishment) or a brand new vessel.

I would look at some of the roll calls for the Millie and you will see photos that can give you a feel for the condition. We found condition to be very good to excellent.

Hope this helps - and whatever you choose, hope your vacation is lovely!

I don't think I took too many ship photos, but if you are interested, send me your email and I will give you the link to our photo album. Happy cruising to you!

What an informative review. We'll be sailing in March on Millie. She looks perfect for our needs.

Please send me your link to your pictures: seankaren@bellsouth.net

Thanks for starting this thread. We will be on the Millie next fall, sailing from Hawaii to Auckland. CANNOT WAIT! Unfortunately, we were not able to get an aft cabin, but are very close by. We are waitlisted just in case one comes open.

I have read many comments about Millie's condition. But next fall is a long time away, and I am hoping that minor (or major) refurbishing will be made. It won't matter though. We are going to have an absolute blast, and are already saving all of our pennies for the land down under.

The only ship we've ever been on that really needed lots of work done was on Commodore Cruise Line. I can't even remember the name of the ship, but she was actually an old battle ship. But we had the best cruise on that line, and the service and food were excellent! We were also on Carnival's Holiday a few years ago, and it really needed lots of work. That was not a good cruise. (But not because of the condition of the ship).

Shay

We have just come off the Millenium on its Dec. Transatlantic voyage.

The weather was wonderful, the sea like a mill pond, and the ship....fantastic. !

Was there occasionally a dispenser with no soap , one little thing not perfect here, or there,.... yes. Was the ship generally sparkling, the food fantastic, the staff hardworking, and courteous , most definitely. Did we have excelllent value for the amount we paid, in comparison to a hotel...over and above.

We had a roll call which numbered over 160 passengers, and a great CC meeting.

I sailed on the HALS Maasdam the next week, and there were no more or no less little niggles on her too.

When I see how badly behaved, rude , dirty and untidy some people are...I am totally amazed at how well any crews are able to present the ships day after day after day. !!

I'm re-thinking going on a New Zealand cruise in Concierge Class next November as I've read a couple reports that the ship is declining in quality. I want to be in beautiful surroundings with great food - will i be disappointed? If so, what ships should I consider?

Thanks so much!!

Rebecca

Have you considered Oceania? It's a different type of cruise experience, but you will not see cabins in disrepair or have bad food on that line. :) I was on the Millennium in May/June of '07 and as I said before, I'm not a travel agent but was in an out of a lot of cabins on the ship (we had a lot of CC members and met others on the sailing). I saw a lot of stained and worn carpeting, black stains on the back side of the drapes, etc. As I've said on other threads, I don't have nasty carpet and drapes in my house and expect the same on the ship. I did not see any issues in the public areas. The food was the worst that we've had in 20+ cruises on all the mass market lines. I don't know you personally so can't say for sure, but if cabin condition and food are the most important for you (the ports are most important to us) then I don't think you would be happy on the Millennium. See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=678954 for a recent review.

Happy travels,

Donna

I really don't care if there is a stain on the back side of a curtain and some wear and tear on carpet in my home or on a ship. Life is way too short for that! :eek:

Food is very subjective and the comments are polarized for the same sailings, so I don't worry about that either.

However, I would love to know if the beds have been replaced on the Millie like they have on the entire Royal Caribbean fleet. Since it is the same company I'm hoping that the beds are the new!

I have pets, so trust me, a few stains on the carpet don't bother me! But when I go on vacation I do like a nice bed with nice linens and great food. Being in New Zealand will be wonderful and I just want to make sure that the interior doesn't detract from the whole experience. I guess that the fact that I'm now an interior designer comes into play a bit, but if you saw my house you wouldn't know it!

I'm not a fault-finder and do tend to overlook a lot, but also want to feel like I'm "living it up". Just being in NZ will be fabulous!

Moreover, I just spoke with X and feel much better now. Millie is going to be in dry dock for a week in April for some sprucing up - you are right, Drew! Additionally, after all the rave reviews about aft balcony cabins, I was able to switch to one on the Sky Deck (9201). So I'm thrilled and will no longer solicit negativity...:D

Thanks to each one of you for your time and the benefit of your experience!

Rebecca

I am curious as to who gave you the info that Milie is going int for drydock in April since according to the web site she is booked for the whole month with cruises that are currently taking reservations....

We've always had nice sheets on cruises and a few mattresses that needed to retire! On FOS the beds were fantastic.....good enough to buy! And the sheets were really soft. That's a beautiful ship but way too many announcements for me....and a tad big.

On Century 10 years ago we had an okay bed and on Adventure of the Seas we needed an egg crate topper because the bed was so uncomfortable.

We are always looking outside so I guess the interior space isn't all that important to us. We are booked in a sky suite for the larger veranda. Now that the holidays are behind us we are getting excited about the cruise! :)

I really don't care if there is a stain on the back side of a curtain and some wear and tear on carpet in my home or on a ship. Life is way too short for that! :eek:
Yes, and life's way too short to be in a dirty cabin with the yuck from other passengers. The fact is that Celebrity could and should do better by their passengers, so FYI when choosing your cruise line.

Donna

We sailed on Millie in Feb last year. The bed was one of the most comfy I have slept on, linens where lovely and soft.

Loved everything about the cruise and we are so happy with Celebrity that we are booked on the 14day Baltic cruise out of Harwich (yippee - no flying).

My husband reckons I am one of the original bleach sisters, as I am very pernickty about cleaning, and I found the standards of hygiene on Millie very good.

Enjoy your cruise, and have a lovely holiday.

We were on her in October for 14 nights. She's beautiful. Worn spots, yes some. Nothing that would make or break a cruise though. I didn't go around with white gloves looking to pick her a part though, I went to enjoy myself and that we did! Would sail her again in a heart beat.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Charlie

We sailed on Millennium October 07 for two weeks, first cruise. Overall, we really enjoyed the ship, food great, service great and public areas generally very good with evidence of a lot of new carpet. I have to say we were disappointed with the condition of our cabin in relation to what we were expecting and certainly compared to the sort of hotel we would stay in or even at home! The carpet was worn and stained, the net curtains torn in several places. Curtains also torn and linings covered in black marks from being caught in doors. The day cover on the bed was very worn and "bally" as was the cover of the settee. The coffee table was damaged and worn. The sliding doors to the balcony didn't seal well resulting in a whistle when at sea, the windows were always dirty and opaque, we had to ask for the balcony seats to be cleaned as they were dirty. The whole cabin and bathroom was "tired" to a level below what we expected of Celebrity, corroded light fittings, mirror silvering coming off round edges, broken soap dispensers. Ready for a total revamp and third rate in comparison to the rest of the ship. We didn't dwell on it though and it didn't spoil our cruise but it is a factor I would take into account when cruising again.

...I have to say we were disappointed with the condition of our cabin in relation to what we were expecting....

Sure doesn't sound very nice. Our cabin on the Mille is September was in much better shape, with a lot of the soft goods looking fairly new. I wonder if they are in the process of updating some of these items and hadn't gotten to your area of the ship yet. Unfortunate for you, but hopefully it will be improved soon.

We’ll be on Millie in a couple weeks so I will report back on her condition. Ships coming back to the Caribbean from overseas often look a little rough around the T/A sailing. Most of the maintenance that involves varnish and painting is scheduled when the ship is in warmer climates. Anyhow we have one of the aft(ish) CC cabins 6143 so will let you know the general condition.

Happy New Years!

Oh you will love it. I was on her sister "Constellation" in CC 6143. The balcony is huge as it has to join up with a Royal Suite on one side and a Sky Suite on the other. And your attendant is the same as the Suites, so they really know how to treat you. The fresh flowers and fruit, the matching rug & towels in the bathroom, the welcome champagne, the printed stationary wasn't that great (think I could have printed better on my printer at home), the massage shower head, the pillow menu, the plush bathrobes, and the enhanced CC menu were all great. We did New England/Canada and really enjoyed our 12 days aboard in the CC cabin. The only problem is, it spoils you to ever go back to just a regular balcony cabin.

Have a great cruise!

Archived