Where do you get your photos printed?

purplefrogs

I've tried winkflash and wasn't really happy with the quality of the print. I've also seen prints from shutterfly and wasn't too impressed with those either. Wolf/Ritz camera does a pretty good job but I just wanted to know what other places are out there. I've looked at dotphoto.com and I might go with them and do the 50 free prints they are offering right now to see how they are.

So...what places do you use to print your digital photos?

I actually was very impressed with my recent Winkflash order. I don't often print pictures but made an album for a christmas present, and was amazed how much better they looked printed than on the screen, I didn't think that they could look much better!

My suggestion would be a small photo store or place like Wolf/Ritz, and here is why. I worked in a mini lab in a target, we were lucky to have a passionate manager who was a semi-pro photographer, so our equipment was always well calibrated, and we were trained how to keep the machine running in top form. Some of my co-workers had worked in a competing discount store, and they had no idea what calibration even meant.

If you plan on printing pictures find a place and get to know the people, they will look out for your photos and help them look great. I am willing to bet that a human eye probably never even inspects your pictures with the online services.

One last thing. Are you using your camera's highest resolution setting? If not, this can affect the look of your printed pictures. They can look good on the screen but printed is a whole other story, not just resolution and sharpness but color and tint are affected when you use a lower resolution.

MAC

I very rarely print photos unless they are large and destined for a frame or a wall. Most of my image sharing of travel or family events is done online or through DVD slide-shows. Anything up to 8x10 I print myself and larger prints are done by various labs depending on what kind of print I need. That said, I occasionally have to make a fairly large number of 4x6s for computer-challenged relatives and, like photodoodle, I find Costco to be convenient, cost-effective and capable of producing quality prints.

Dave

Pierces, do you know anything about the sony disc and storage that comes with the sony camera? It's very easy to upload the pictures and they sort them by month. But I haven't been able to figure out how to share the potos. I can save one at a time to the desktop and then can email that one. There must be an easier way to load up and share more than one at a time.

can anyone help?

Pierces, do you know anything about the sony disc and storage that comes with the sony camera? It's very easy to upload the pictures and they sort them by month. But I haven't been able to figure out how to share the potos. I can save one at a time to the desktop and then can email that one. There must be an easier way to load up and share more than one at a time.

can anyone help?

To be honest, I only loaded the Picture Motion Browser because it was added on when I installed the Image Data Converter. I looked at it and if you select a group of pictures and choose "Resize and Save" from the Manupulate menu, you can save a smaller copy of the selected photos to a different or new folder and upload them from there.

Personally, I use Picasa or Irfanview for that. (Article here: http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/BatchResize.htm)

Happy new year!

Dave

I am in need of help. This could drive me to eat!

I have posted a picture to webshots to experiment. Copied the url and went to a CC board. Hit the envelope for inserting the picture and hit paste. The url gets pasted to the message. But, you can't click on it and there is no picture.

Is there anyone who is familiar with webshots who can tell me what I am doing wrong?

I am in need of help. This could drive me to eat!

I have posted a picture to webshots to experiment. Copied the url and went to a CC board. Hit the envelope for inserting the picture and hit paste. The url gets pasted to the message. But, you can't click on it and there is no picture.

Is there anyone who is familiar with webshots who can tell me what I am doing wrong?

In webshots, to the right of the picture there is a box that says link to this picture, right under that is a choice of sizes, choose that first. After choosing the size, go below and copy the URL for DIRECT LINK TO IMAGE, then when writing your post click on the icon that looks like a mountain (insert image) paste the URL in the box deleting the existing http:// if needed, your picture should show up in the post.

Good Luck

MAC

• 3 weeks later...
I've tried winkflash and wasn't really happy with the quality of the print. I've also seen prints from shutterfly and wasn't too impressed with those either. Wolf/Ritz camera does a pretty good job but I just wanted to know what other places are out there. I've looked at dotphoto.com and I might go with them and do the 50 free prints they are offering right now to see how they are.

So...what places do you use to print your digital photos?

I don't print mine. :-) I make them into photobooks and have those sent to me. They are the best way to arrange photos and asier to keep and take along to share.

Ok, I use Snapfish almost exclusively. I really like their prints. Both the 4x6 and 8x10 when I've chosen the right resolution for the 8x10. Sometimes I forget to work on that. I have not gotten prints from any other online service. I did have Snapfish send them to Walgreens to pick up one time in a hurry and big Mistake. They were awful. I refused the order and went back to Snapfish.

There is something to say for the smaller film developer. They do look out for you and you can work with them on special things. But they are more pricey and I don't usually use them for that reason.

As far as Webshots, I've used them too. They can be a pain. If you want to use a site for photo linking to forum and such, use Photobucket. It's free and you can do slideshows/mini movie/remixes. It's quite fun.......

• 2 weeks later...

I just received a large order (250 prints) from Snapfish and they look great. The price, at least for now, is 9 cents per print. Usually I use our local Ritz and am in there often enough to know everyone. But with an order as large as this, I decided to use Snapfish. Ritz would have been around 25 cents a print -- quite a difference.

While I use Webshots to share our photos with friends and family, my wife does print some for her cruise album. We've used all the large stores and camera shops, and have actually been surprised with the quality of the photos from our local drug store, and Wal Mart. It seems everyone has a photo kiosk now, and there are numerous places to try..................

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 4x6 photo printer that I use to print a snapshot or two. It is an older dye sub printer. Makes very nice prints but they are around $.40 each in supplies cost. When I have a large quantity of prints I generally go to a local store like Walgreen's or Sam's Club to get them done, where they are sometimes below $0.10 each.

But having the printer at home is really nice for doing an occasional print to carry around, stick on the wall or give to relatives.

Archived