Info on Non-Caribbean Weddings at Sea?

NCFleur

Hello All:

First time poster, first time cruiser! Lots of questions! :)

Some general information about us: We're recently engaged and in our 40s. First marriage for him, third for me, neither of us have children. I've done the "big wedding" so that's not important to me and he is a very private person. We're just in the beginning stages of planning (and by "we" I mean "I"...his response to everything has been whatever you want is fine with me.) This will be a "bride and groom" experience. We don't foresee anyone traveling with us.

I'm thinking a "wedding at sea" would be perfect. It appears that Princess is one of the few lines that does an "at sea" wedding as opposed to an in-port land excursion wedding or pre-sailing wedding.

Most of the reviews I'm reading here seem to be about weddings taking place on Caribbean cruises. I'm not opposed to that, but when I looked at where the 3 Princess ships that allow at sea wedding (Grand, Golden, Star) travel I was wondering if we should consider other options. Plus I read the TWE and RR reviews with trepidation and if we go another route perhaps the wedding service would be better?

Anyone out there get married at sea on a cruise other than the Caribbean? Would love you to hear from you!

I'm sure I''ll have many more questions as we continue to make decisions. Thanks for reading!! :D

I had been told that weddings cannot be done "at sea" do to being in International waters and having no legal juristiction. Marriages would not be legal in the United States. Something you may want to check out as I could have been misinformed or that is just the case for the region we are traveling in.

Hi,

We're getting married at sea on Jan 14 - Golden Princess, Mexican Riviera out of LA.

If you want an 'at sea' wedding, Princess is your only option, and that also means you're stuck with TWE.

Good luck.. and ask away (everyone on here is pretty helpful!)

Princess is the only cruise line that can perform at-sea marriages. They are legal in the US. I know they have ships that go to Alaska -- but not sure which and if weddings are available on those ships. We are getting married in a few weeks and so far I have not had any problems with TWE. My travel agent was very helpful when it came to decisions regarding where to get married - perhaps that would work for you as well.

I had been told that weddings cannot be done "at sea" do to being in International waters and having no legal juristiction. Marriages would not be legal in the United States. Something you may want to check out as I could have been misinformed or that is just the case for the region we are traveling in.

Because their ships are registered in Bermuda and Bermuda has a maritime marriage law that allows captains of ships registered there to perform marriages, you can have a legal marriage at sea on Princess (can't be done on Carnival, RCCL, etc.). I'm getting married at sea on the Grand Princess on 4/6/08.

We are doing a Caribbean sailing because it was important to us that our family be there and it was easiest for them to do the Caribbean, but I believe the option is available on their other sailings. They sail almost everywhere (depending on the time of year) - Caribbean, Mexican Riviera, Alaska, Bermuda, Mediterranean, Northern Europe, Hawaii, Tahiti, Asia, etc. If you want to do an at sea wedding you have to go throgh The Wedding Experience. While there are definitely mixed reviews of them on this board, I have had a good experience with them. I would check with The Wedding Experience to see if there are any restrictions on specific itineraries for at sea weddings. Then check with your travel agent for sailing/itinerary options.

I believe only those 3 ships used to do at sea weddings but now the whole fleet does. So you can get married in Europe, Mexico, or whereever it sails. They will do st sea weddings though only at days at sea (makes sense) and limit the number per day so book early.

I just spoke to Princess today, there are currently only 3 ships that you cannot have a wedding on. Pacific Princess, Royal Princess and Ruby. Ruby will start doing weddings in 2009. I am hoping to get more information tomorrow (I was in shock - because my FI and I really had our sites on cruising Pacific Princess.)

Ok - Not seeing where to edit my last post, so will just put updated information here. Apparently, you now CAN do weddings on Pacific Princess. Just called TWE and supponsenly this is true (but a recent change).

Thanks to everyone for such great information. We seem to be leaning towards Alaska in May 09. Destination may change but at least right now, that seems to be the destination that's most interesting to both of us.

Thanks again to everyone! :)

Archived