Liquid vs. pencil eye liners??

kiraryker

I have always used the pencil eye liner with the sponge at the other end for smudging - but by the end of the day it is always gone from my eyes.

So I decided to buy liquid liner - so how do you apply this? Do you start from the front of your upper & lower lids and go to the end? Then do you apply your eye shadow over this?? Confused.:confused:

I put it on top of the shadow. Have you tried cake eyeliner? I find it much easier to use, and I like that I can wash the brush daily. Clinique just brought theirs back to the market. They had discontinued it, and there was such an outcry from customers that they brought it back.

I don't think there's a right way or wrong way. Whatever works for you and the shape of your eye and where you want the thickest part of the line to be.

My eyes are large and almond shaped, and I have a long, narrow face, so I want the thickest part of the line to be on the outer corner. So I start at the outer corner first and bring the brush in towards the center.

But a few things that are universally agreed upon is to never stretch the lid, this will only cause wrinkling. And always make sure the liner is applied on the skin that's closest to the lashes. It's terrible looking when there's a "bald spot" and the liner is above that. I've seen this on many women and it's ridiculous looking.

Also, put shadow on first, liner afterwards. The shadow will soften and/or dull the look if you put it on afterwards. (unless, of course, you want that look!)

I have taught several people how to do liquid and what usually works best is to apply your eyeliner with the pencil and go over it with the liquid until you can get the hang of it. After a while, its natural to apply. And apply your eyeshadow first.

Thanks!! That make sense I tried it last night on a bare eye and it looked terrible!!! I will try shadow first.

What is cake liner?

Cake liner is liner that's in a solid "cake" that is much denser than eyeshadow. To use, wet your brush and swirl it around on the cake. I prefer cake liner to the liquid stuff that comes in a tube because:

1. I prefer to use a brush that I've selected that works best for me as opposed to having to use the brush that comes in the tube. (which is usually too thin and not angeled for me personally)

2. I find it easier to control the amount of product put on the brush

3. I sometimes like to mix colors. I use black, but for daytime, soften it a little by mixing a little brown in it for my upper lid. For my lower lid, I use dark brown, not black.

However, the liquid liner in a tube is easier for travel and if you like the color, the brush and the amount of product on the brush, then use that. It's less steps.

I use a waterproof eyeliner pencil, usually Chanel Aqua Crayon or Lancome Le Stylo pencil. I draw the thinnest line I can, then go over it with an angled eyeliner brush dipped into my eyeshadow. My eyeliner lasts until I take it off with makeup remover formulated for waterproof mascara.

It even lasted through crying at a movie yesterday.

I don't think there's a right way or wrong way. Whatever works for you and the shape of your eye and where you want the thickest part of the line to be.

My eyes are large and almond shaped, and I have a long, narrow face, so I want the thickest part of the line to be on the outer corner. So I start at the outer corner first and bring the brush in towards the center.

But a few things that are universally agreed upon is to never stretch the lid, this will only cause wrinkling. And always make sure the liner is applied on the skin that's closest to the lashes. It's terrible looking when there's a "bald spot" and the liner is above that. I've seen this on many women and it's ridiculous looking.

Also, put shadow on first, liner afterwards. The shadow will soften and/or dull the look if you put it on afterwards. (unless, of course, you want that look!)

Your answers scare me sometimes when they are so similar to what I do.

Exactly ditto the above.

I have always used liquid liner and i only use it on the lower lids. I think it is easier to use than the pencil in my opinion. I apply it before i put on any other makeup whether it is foundation or mascara.

Michele

P.S the only time i really do not wear it is if i am wearing my contacts.

OK, now that I'm logged in as me instead of my husband, I can respond:p I use liquid liner--I cannot use a pencil, so I don't "go over" the pencil with the liquid. I line my upper lid only (starting at the outside moving in) and I usually draw a line like an impressionist (connect small dots made as close to the lash line as possible) Liner goes on first; shadow last, and I don't wear mascara. If I put the liner on over shadow, I feel it doesn't last as long.

Spend a weekend trying a bunch of different things and see what works best for you!

Archived