Wonders of the world II

RosieD

We are traveling on the Seabourn Spirit leaving Rome on October 25, 2008 and ending in Singapore on December 20, 2008, 56 days in all. We are considering flying to Hong Kong for a few days and then flying to Khao Lok, renting a car and doing a little beach exploration, then heading home. We will probably not get a chance to see Thailand again, but wonder if doing all this after the 56 day trip will just be too much. We are 60 years old and walking a lot is difficult for us. We have also never done a trip of this length before and the longest we have cruised in the past is 2 weeks. Are we crazy or what, but we feel time is running out and want to see a lot. The other issue is luggage. Is it worth the money to send 2 bags to the ship and home from the ship? This would be our cruise clothes and things we would not need for the extra week should we go ahead with it. We are planning on getting to Rome 4 days ahead, stay at the Excelsior, and seeing the city. Any advice would be appreciated as we are very new at this. Is there anyone out there booked on this same trip?

Having had to cancel that itinerary for this year (Istanbul to HK), I can't comment on your plans.

However..

>" The other issue is luggage. Is it worth the money to send 2 bags to the ship and home from the ship?"

Yes, yes, yes!!!!!! Anita Mann at Seabourn is a real star and I rely on her expertise for every cruise. No matter what the expense!

We are traveling on the Seabourn Spirit leaving Rome on October 25, 2008 and ending in Singapore on December 20, 2008, 56 days in all. We are considering flying to Hong Kong for a few days and then flying to Khao Lok, renting a car and doing a little beach exploration, then heading home. We will probably not get a chance to see Thailand again, but wonder if doing all this after the 56 day trip will just be too much. We are 60 years old and walking a lot is difficult for us. We have also never done a trip of this length before and the longest we have cruised in the past is 2 weeks. Are we crazy or what, but we feel time is running out and want to see a lot. The other issue is luggage. Is it worth the money to send 2 bags to the ship and home from the ship? This would be our cruise clothes and things we would not need for the extra week should we go ahead with it. We are planning on getting to Rome 4 days ahead, stay at the Excelsior, and seeing the city. Any advice would be appreciated as we are very new at this. Is there anyone out there booked on this same trip?

Hi there, RosieD,

We're Steve and Chris from Melbourne, Australia, and we'll be joining you for the entire trip! We are incredibly excited about our first Seabourn experience and our longest cruise so far. Our longest previous cruises have both been 24 days.

We won't be with the same 200 people for 56 days, though, due to the cruise actually being 5 cruises added together. It will be interesting to see how many people are on board for the full 56 days. (Maybe 20 or 30?)

We usually choose cruises with lots of sea days so the first three weeks of this one will be interesting, with ports almost every day. I imagine we will really enjoy the 5 days at sea heading to Oman! All the ports look fascinating, though. We've already bought 'Insight' guides to most places and are furiously reading up on what we want to do at each port. (I've even started spending time on the treadmill, getting ready for all the walking we are going to do)

We spent a week in Rome in 2005 so will be flying in only a day or two early.

We're still contemplating what to do at the end of the trip. We might head straight home. After all the pampering on Seabourn, we might not be able to cope in the real world of independent travel! Hong Kong is fantastic! We spent four days there last March; well worth the visit. We haven't spent time in Thailand, so can't comment on that.

The luggage thing is a real dilemma, isn't it?

The above replies are politely circumspect about the cost of shipping luggage, but it certainly sounds like a possibility.

Cheers,

Steve (and Christopher)

• 4 months later...

Hi Rosie, We did the almost same cruise in reverse a couple of years ago. Ours was from Australia to Rome and only 55 days! :( We then added on a week in Rome and a week in Singapore as we flew back home......I wish we hadnt added those on. We caught a bug on the ship, and I couldnt get rid of mine, and would have LOVED to have gone straight home....however I had to "endure" another 2 weeks of "less than Seabourn" as it was already booked and paid for! I didnt enjoy Rome and I didnt enjoy Singapore....what a waste! Of course you probably wont catch any bug ...just my luck as they say! We have just done an 85 day cruise with a 4 day add on in Lisbon and neither of us got as much as a sniffle! Never can tell.

The luggage question? I WISH we could use the luggage service all the time, but for us its much too expensive. If expense is not a problem....go for it...it would be wonderful! We just could not possibly carry our luggage home from Lisbon after an 85 day cruise so sent two suitcases back to Australia.......cost was $800 USD which when translated into "our money" was well over $900 ONE WAY! :eek: Will just travel lighter in future!

We have taken many long cruises and, in the past, stayed in the disembarkation port for several days to a week. Each time, no matter how great the port, we have regretted it and just wanted to go home. You will be so spoiled on the ship that nothing will compare! Also, we have found that after a long cruise, we just simply want to go home (and, if I am completely honest, I want to see my kitties!) Now, no matter how enticing the disembarkation port, we always head straight home and have always been happy with our decision.

4kitties,

I agree with you. We are flying home the same day we arrive in Singapore. We have had mixed success with post-cruise touring so have decided to head straight for home.

After all it will only be 4 days until Christmas!

Steve.

Well I hope you dont have to cook Christmas Dinner!! I can see you falling asleep face first in the pudding! ;)

..... and I promised I would never do that again:rolleyes: .

BTW, we're going to pick up Christmas presents along the way so friends and families should be in for some unusual gifts. (but no stuffed camels;) )

..... and I promised I would never do that again:rolleyes: .

BTW, we're going to pick up Christmas presents along the way so friends and families should be in for some unusual gifts. (but no stuffed camels;) )

Good boy Cands, I see you take notice of Granny's advice! although I did see the exact same camels in a gift shop in WA last year!!

Hi Steve and Chris and all others who posted that they will be on the 56 days plus or minus Seabourn Wonders of the World II cruise. Thanks for all the advice that I never received until 5/7/08 as I could not figure out how to get back into the Cruise Critic link. Well, I think that being solved I am again trying to post have probably started this message at least once and lost it. As it stands now we will be coming into Rome 3 days before sailing and would appreciate any advice on what to do in Rome or great places to eat. We are booked at the Westin Excelsior. Then all of a sudden we needed to make a snap decision on our return and under the gun could not get back to Phuket, Thailand to spend that week post cruise so we opted to fly to Hong Kong (Heading at least toward New Jersey) get off and stay for 3 days there in HK and then proceed home. I so agree that after all that pampering, all else will be down hill. I keep reading the packing books and deleting more and more stuff. Bought some clothing from Travel Smith and was shocked how light and packable some of their items were. The luggage allowances keep going down and after being close to $1,000 overweight on a flight from Bora Bora, I am trying to learn from that lesson. Thanks for all advice on shipping luggage, as soon as I get all my clothes together, I will make that decision. Hope to chat with anyone else on this voyage. Is there anyone else out there that is booked with the Virtuoso Club that is making this sailing. Hope to hear from anyone out there and promise to keep an eye on all replies. Signed, Sandi.

Hi Steve and Chris and all others who posted that they will be on the 56 days plus or minus Seabourn Wonders of the World II cruise. Thanks for all the advice that I never received until 5/7/08 as I could not figure out how to get back into the Cruise Critic link. Well, I think that being solved I am again trying to post have probably started this message at least once and lost it. As it stands now we will be coming into Rome 3 days before sailing and would appreciate any advice on what to do in Rome or great places to eat. We are booked at the Westin Excelsior. Then all of a sudden we needed to make a snap decision on our return and under the gun could not get back to Phuket, Thailand to spend that week post cruise so we opted to fly to Hong Kong (Heading at least toward New Jersey) get off and stay for 3 days there in HK and then proceed home. I so agree that after all that pampering, all else will be down hill. I keep reading the packing books and deleting more and more stuff. Bought some clothing from Travel Smith and was shocked how light and packable some of their items were. The luggage allowances keep going down and after being close to $1,000 overweight on a flight from Bora Bora, I am trying to learn from that lesson. Thanks for all advice on shipping luggage, as soon as I get all my clothes together, I will make that decision. Hope to chat with anyone else on this voyage. Is there anyone else out there that is booked with the Virtuoso Club that is making this sailing. Hope to hear from anyone out there and promise to keep an eye on all replies. Signed, Sandi.

Hi Sandi,

The hotel you booked in Rome looks fantastic! Will this be your first time in Rome?

The weather will be nice (well at least cool) at the end of October.

Hong Kong is a great place to spend a few days after the cruise. We spent 4 days there after disembarking Crystal Symphony last year and really enjoyed it. It is so vibrant and alive and the food is just fantastic! (I imagine after 56 days of eating on the ship we will all be looking for something different in style to eat).

We've pretty much decided to send at least one bag home at the end of the cruise.

As we are not flying to or from the USA, we are restricted to 30kg (66lb) each (Business Class) on the flight to Rome. We should just about be able to manage this. (Perhaps pushing the boundaries a little).

We are going to some amazing places and don't want to have to think about not buying things because of flight weight restrictions, hence the idea of shipping a case (or two) home.

Cheers,

Steve.

• 3 weeks later...

I just have to add our experiences to all the comments.

Packing: Paul and I returned in April from the Legend transatlantic cruise, our first with Seabourn. I spent months trying to decide how much to pack, what to wear for formal nights and even clothing for during the day. We had two huge bags for checking and two pretty large carry ons. I brought lots of jewelry to have fun with at night also. In the end, we just didn't need so much. During the day, we enjoyed bridge and I spent several days out on the deck lounging in a bathing suit and coverup. One of the formal nights, I ate in the restaurant and Paul went to the Veranda with new friends. I will never! pack that many clothes again. You can dress very nicely and not carry so much.

Visiting cities: We spent an extra two weeks visiting other places after our Seabourn experience. We certainly missed the Seabourn pampering, but we were extremely happy with our holiday. We spent a lovely five days in Lisbon, a first for me. Then we flew Brussels Air to France. Loved Brussels Air and will do that again. We were surprised at the low cost. France was incredible and we took a wine tour through the Medoc region. We flew on to Ireland, renting a car and driving from one coast to the other through little tiny towns, enjoying the beauty of the simple countryside. Incredible. And flying out of Shannon to the states was really easy. Not such a huge airport.

2009: We have already booked the Legend for its transatlantic cruises in April and November. We won't stay as long for our city visits, but we'll do it again. With the great rates on Brussels Air (hopefully they will remain low), we'll fly from Lisbon to Prague or Oslo or Greece and spend a week before flying home in April. Lots of choices for places to visit. And in November, we'll find a flight from the states to another city and again fly Brussels Air to Lisbon for our wonderful cruise home.

This idea isn't for everyone. But for those who enjoy land travel and have the energy, it's a lovely way to spend a holiday in addition to the fabulous Seabourn cruises.

Happy cruising!

Ginger

• 1 month later...

Less than 4 months to go now!

We have now paid the balance of the fare and so are 100% committed.

It's hard to believe we are really going to do this.

When can I expect some 'goodies' from Seabourn?

Steve (and Chris)

Dancing around the table.

Stop dancing Steve and start PACKING!! :eek: what date do you leave Oz exactly? (just wondering if we are going to be here when you actually leave....we have just booked a River cruise for November)....any chance of a email during your trip? Dont think I can wait till Xmas to hear all about it!

Stop dancing Steve and start PACKING!! :eek: what date do you leave Oz exactly? (just wondering if we are going to be here when you actually leave....we have just booked a River cruise for November)....any chance of a email during your trip? Dont think I can wait till Xmas to hear all about it!

Packing!!! A bit of a problem for me. I promised I would lose 10kg and have new clothes for the trip. My total loss so far is 2kg.

So am I or am I not going to lose 8 kg in less than 4 months? So, one week before we leave is when the clothes shopping starts. Packing probably only 3 days before.

I fly out on the afternoon of October 22 (if Qantas has its act together by then) to Singapore, switch to BA for the flight to London, then have to change to terminal 5 for the flight to Rome, arriving just before lunch on the 23rd.

Chris has a much better deal, flying Malaysia Airlines to KL and then direct to Rome. He leaves Melbourne on the 23rd and arrives in Rome at 5am on the 24th.

I'll put you on my mailing list for our email 'postcards' to friends and family.

I've just got a new whizzbang (for me) laptop. The wireless functionality is really easy to use.

We now have a wireless network at home.

I think I'll bring the laptop with me and buy a chunk of internet time on the ship.

I really want to keep a journal of the cruise, so emailing it or posting on cruisecritic should be a relatively easy extra step.

That's the plan, anyway.

Where are you off to on a river cruise?

Steve.

If you manage to lose the 8kgs before you leave, dont buy new clothes...take your old ones as even if they are a wee bit loose to start, they wont be at the end!! :D I PUT ON 8kgs on the last cruise....and not one ounce has disappeared since!! (we have started walking every day now though....even the dog needs it!! :eek: )

River cruise is from Amsterdam to Budapest with a couple of days in Bangkok on the way over.......its my --th. Birthday prezzie! Just a quick trip......

Granny Lorr,

Is your river cruise on Viking by any chance? Our T/A and her husband just returned frim that trip and had a grand time. They found Budapest a bit tired

( she jokingly said she almost wished it had been bombed) , loved Bratislava and was very moved by the many World War II sites they visited ( especially Ann Frank's house).

Happy Birthday!

Chairsin, thanks for the Birthday greetings, but i still have almost a month before I am really old!! ;)

The river cruise company we are going with is Scenic.....an Australian company...well known for land tours, but fairly new to river cruises. They have brand new boats and are ~almost~ all inclusive. Tours are included, tipping is included ( a real plus for Aussies!!) and drinks at dinner are included....will write a report on it if I can get wi fi....

GrannyLorr,

Please do post a review -- eventhough many of us are loyal Seabournites some of us travel to places where Seabourn does not go and appreciate the feedback from likeminded travelers.

• 4 weeks later...

We paid in full over three weeks ago and the cruise begins in three months from tomorrow.

We haven't received anything from Seabourn yet. Should we be expecting something soon?

Steve.

Steve,

Our initial package from Seabourn ( with registration form, tour info, etc.) arrived about a month ago for our trip in late September. I am not sure if there is a little delay when the package is sent " down under." And ours was sent to our TA first then she forwarded it on. So yours should be to you shortly. If you don't get it soon contact your TA. It is usually our final package( with tickets, luggage tags, etc.) that arrives much too close to our departure -- sometimes causing much nail biting.Many times in the past our TA has had to FED Ex it to us -- with it arriving a couple of days before departure. Sometimes seems to me that Seabourn does not take into account that many passengers such as ourselves leave almost a week before the cruise to spend time in our departure city.

Steve,

Our initial package from Seabourn ( with registration form, tour info, etc.) arrived about a month ago for our trip in late September. I am not sure if there is a little delay when the package is sent " down under." And ours was sent to our TA first then she forwarded it on. So yours should be to you shortly. If you don't get it soon contact your TA. It is usually our final package( with tickets, luggage tags, etc.) that arrives much too close to our departure -- sometimes causing much nail biting.Many times in the past our TA has had to FED Ex it to us -- with it arriving a couple of days before departure. Sometimes seems to me that Seabourn does not take into account that many passengers such as ourselves leave almost a week before the cruise to spend time in our departure city.

Thanks for that. I guess the documents are not 'late' yet. I just want them now!!!

We'll wait a couple of weeks before we start to panic. (I am anxious to find out if they will give us any visa information).

Cheers,

Steve.

Archived