Internet TA, bricks&mortar TA, or do-it-yourself?

NCFleur

Hey Everyone:

I'm a do-it-yourself kind of gal and I've always booked travel and vacations myself via the internet. I've never used a TA for anything! So far, doing it myself has always been a positive experience. However, we're talking about my wedding (!) so I want to make the best decisions I can to ensure it will go well. It's going to be a very simple kind of wedding--just bride and groom. We'd prefer to do it "at sea" but realize this limits us to Princess cruises so the "at sea" idea may change as we do more research.

Can someone help me with terminology? What's the difference between an online Travel Agent and a travel website? Or are they the same thing?

My boss and his partner cruise frequently and use an internet site to book their cruises. The site has an 800 number and I know they call them all the time to discuss/plan their cruises. (So I'm guessing this is an internet TA?) They always rave about the low prices and they always have a fabulous time. I think they sail on the Holland America line. I've checked the site and it does seem to offer good deals on many lines. I've seen discounts there well over 50% but most of the higher discounts apply to cruises that are sailing within 90 days. Even considering the possible savings, I don't think I'd be comfortable waiting that close to the date to book since we're getting married on the cruise.

I know we aren't allowed to give specific recommendations on this site so I'm not asking for anyone to break the rules here. I'm just looking for any guidance/advice on booking a wedding cruise since it does involve a bit more than just booking the trip. Should I: 1) just pick a cruise line and work with them directly 2) find an internet site and book it myself or 3) find a local TA and work with them?

Obviously, anything that can save us $ is a plus. Is there a price advantage for one of these options over the other?

Sorry for being so wordy but I've just got so many questions!! :eek: :confused:

I would definitely work with a travel agent! We have quite a few people sailing with us and having a travel agent has been great. I don't have to remind people of payment dates, etc. The agent is handling all of that. Sometimes travel agents can get lower prices, sometimes not, but their expertise is so helpful. As far as online vs. local agents go, personally I'd go with a local agent where I could deal with the same people all the time. If you have specific contacts at the online agency that could make it kind of like a local TA. It's really a matter of what you're comfortable with.

I believe that if you are planning to get married on the ship you have to go through the ships agents. I am not 100% positive, but I believe that is what I've heard. Good luck picking a place and a destination. There are so many wonderful options out there.

I am getting married on the ship and we used our local travel agent. She just booked the cruise and handled all the cruise related issues for those traveling with us. The wedding had to be booked through TWE directly. Our TA called TWE to make sure the date we wanted was available for the wedding and since it was she then booked the cruise!

Have fun!

i too usually do my own travel but for my daughters wedding we used a local travel agent. I did not want the hassel of collecting money etc and also wanted an actualperson to call with any problems.

Well I am just like you, I ALWAYS do it myself, but being that Im getting married in a couple weeks we went with the local TA.

If you read the boards you will see that I had MAJOR problems with mine, as she was not doing her job and I went to a reputable person who told me she had done this many times.

It all ended up working out in the end, but you have to stay on top of everything just like you would if you were doing it yourself. And make sure you get all the perks that are coming to you, mine seemed to not inform me of things I was entitled too.

I can tell you that the only good thing about a TA is that if you do end up going with a larger group they can get you some nice perks but I bet you would get the same thing by going through the cruise line.

THe worst part is once you do use an agent, forget about calling the cruise line itself and asking for help, that was my problem, I tried calling directly and they basically told me they couldnt help me because I had a travel agent. Of course once I talked about my problem on this site I was immediately contacted by a person who greatly helped me with all my problems.

If I had to do it again, I'd go through the cruise line direct, why use a middle person, but again thats just my opinion. And once you decide what line your using they send you a welcome packet with someone you can contact directly with questions.

Congrats on getting Married, I cant wait for mine!

Archived