Granny's 2008 Adventure

GrannyLorr

Cruiseguy…..I know some people get upset by some things being a wee bit off topic at times, but it doesn’t bother me at all. Actually if anyone wants me to answer anything about anything, they had better ask in this thread as I don’t get to read much in the other threads at the moment. The internet is far too expensive on the ship to be able to “surf”. Sometimes if I seem to have a better connection then usual, I will copy and paste some of the threads, then read when I am off line, but in the last two months I haven’t been able to read much in the boards at all. Sooooooooooo ask away in here!

Martha, I haven’t seen the sheers open at all in the Restaurant. We have certainly seen the ocean at times though, as it was way over the portholes when we were further south. Not many waves in the Amazon though!

There is a crew member onboard now, who looks a lot like Karl. I asked him a couple of weeks ago if he was related to Karl, and he told me I wasn’t the first to ask him that, but no, he isn’t. Sorry but I haven’t been able to squint enough at his badge yet to see his name! Gee I wish Seabourn would make the crews name badges big enough for old eyes to read! Anyway, last night this man told me that Karl would be boarding in Barbados and will be on the Crossing….so that’s good news. Also Matthew Brown is boarding in Barbados…..Matthew was Asst. CD (him and Preston Coe) with Trevor Stephenson on our last cruise, so will be good to see him again. Had an email from Preston last week, with his “Facebook” details, but haven’t been able to look yet….that will have to wait till we get home.

Just returned from the Sky Bar and Nelson told us he is leaving on the 17th…….Ian is taking over his position.

Tomorrow is the last day for this leg of the cruise, we will then be in Manaus. We have been quite disappointed that in the last two legs there has been no Galley Lunch. I thought that happened every cruise? Spoke to Andreas a couple of days ago and he said something about people complain about too many buffets? One Galley lunch in the Restaurant each cruise can hardly be called “too many buffets”……does anyone know really what the reason for this would be? I have always thought it was a great way for all the Chefs to show off their specialties, and for us to know what each one did in that galley! Another thing we didn’t like about the Galley lunches we have had so far (actually I think we have only had one the entire cruise……its been so long I have forgotten…may have had two)……is that we just ate….then left the restaurant. Last cruise, at the end of the lunch, all the Chefs were brought out and introduced to us so we could applaud and thank them. We were also told what their specialty was and where they were from…….we were then introduced to some of the wait staff and bar staff. So far that hasn’t happened on the Pride……….

Now I am on to the negatives…….what has happened to the fries!!! Must ask Chef Markus next time I see him. The fries on Seabourn used to be as famous as the bread sticks….now they are just “ordinary”……cost cutting?

Tonight we were talking to our next door neighbour in the Sky Bar…..we were quite happy that she said we had been perfect neighbours, very quiet…….told her we just sleep all the time!! Her and her husband boarded in Valparaiso…..and haven’t had a Galley Lunch at all…..so I was right, we have only had one in 4 cruises!!

Yesterday we filled out the form for Carol Frey covering all our shore excursions until Fort Lauderdale. That really makes it look like our cruise is coming to an end. The time has gone so fast. It is over 2 months since we left home. Of course we still have the Crossing to look forward too, but that time will fly now too.

Most of our neighbours are leaving tomorrow. Tonight the luggage will be out in the hallways….gee I hate that! Will hate it a lot more when its mine!

The best lecturer we have had is also leaving tomorrow so that is a shame. We could listen to him all day. It’s Ronnie Sampson. Yesterday he did a talk on Devils Island, where we will be visiting after we leave the Amazon. Last week he also did a talk on “Pirates…Then and Now”. Ronnie was on the Spirit when the pirates attacked so was really good to hear a first hand report about the attack….instead of all the second hand reports we have heard. He did have some of Norms pics……

Tonight has been a disappointment….Beach BBQ cancelled…….rain, thunder and lightening…….Mother Nature is a pain at times!

Granny Lorr(aine)-You are very gracious indeed to welcome posts that may be a "wee bit" off topic. Unfortunately, some are more than mere bumps in the road for us readers; they are major detours. The off topic thread was specifically set up to "capture" these posts in one spot for those who might enjoying reading them. Nevertheless, I respect your inclusiveness.

>" Last cruise, at the end of the lunch, all the Chefs were brought out and introduced to us so we could applaud and thank them. We were also told what their specialty was and where they were from…….we were then introduced to some of the wait staff and bar staff. So far that hasn’t happened on the Pride………."

At least that was done by Markus at the end of the Deck Barbecue, although it was a bit difficult to hear each one.

One other item of note was that when we were docked in Montevideo, the US ambassador came aboard and visited us at the SkyBar. He was kissing all the ladies. I could say that I had seen his 'mansion' and the office on my guided tour. IThe home looked very nice and he said they were using it a lot for entertaining. He hadn't been in the post very long. Still, it was a nice touch. I think he came because he had friends from SF onboard, but don't quote me on that.

And yes, there is a waiter who resembles Karl, and I foreget his name, too. He's been on the Pride for a while. Stop making me homesick!

….what has happened to the fries!!! Must ask Chef Markus next time I see him. The fries on Seabourn used to be as famous as the bread sticks….now they are just “ordinary”……cost cutting?

Granny,

Say it ain't so!:eek: I'm not sure how much cost-cutting can be done with a potato ... but, I'll bet the Chef will oversee a session of remedial spud training once he learns of your disappointment.

johnny

Granny said: please feel free to add any comments about the South America cruise to my thread.

Please let's not get into an argument in the midst of this great thread. However I agree that these posts should confine themselves to the South America cruise, not general cruising or changes in Seabourn's practices. Martita, I hope that Seabourn has the shears open during all its cruises so as to brighten the dining rooms. What a wonderful idea. However, it's not really part of the SA cruise.

JMHO

Thank you for your great review again Lorraine! It is always a pleasure reading your stories. I also admire the way you sometimes comment on any down sides of Seabourn. I'm sure your posts will be read and soon the chips will be good or better again. And hopefully you will be able to enjoy another Galley brunch while you're on board the Pride. I'm sure you will have one on the crossing!

I'm glad you don't mind Martha asking about the sheers. Of course we know she will be sailing with you soon on the crossing and she was just curious about it. I don't know why it would be a big deal to get carried away a little sometimes. If the poster I quoted above would know all the ins and outs of "us" Seabournites (being a first time poster on the Seabourn Board) she would know it will never be a problem to any of us if somebody asks a question that is somewhat off topic. Let alone be offended by it. Even in South America (to stay on topic)!

Lorraine, please keep on enjoying your self, don't get bored. Life is too short and so are cruises. Would you be so kind to give the warmest regards to our dear friend Nelson from René and Marja from Holland? Tell him our granddaughter that he once held in his arms when we visited the Pride in Amsterdam, turned 4 this week and wish him the very best with his family.

Marja

Cands…..glad to hear you are still reading all my rambling comments! To answer your question…….yes…..I am getting tired of all the food! What a horrible thing to say! The food is wonderful, and for a few weeks I enjoy every bite….but after a while you do wish for just what you are used too……ordinary, everyday food…….not 6 star gourmet stuff.

However what we think is “ordinary, everyday” food is not what the great Chefs here think…..so that will just have to wait until we get home. We can ask for whatever we want….but we don’t like to put the crew to any extra work, so we haven’t asked for any special meals.……a few weeks without wont do us any harm! We have had a lot of “roast meats”….chicken, duck, lamb, beef, turkey etc etc…..but roast veggies??? Nope not a sign……mashed potatoes and that’s about it….so what we think of as the “Sunday Roast” does not exist……occasionally we have the spuds baked in foil……but not baked in the pan with the meat like we are used too….

One of our first meals when we get home from a trip is always Leg of lamb, roast spuds, pumpkin, peas, beans, carrots and GRAVY……real roast meat gravy…….hope my son or our friends the Doyles are reading this!!!!

APRIL 5TH WE ARE HOME EVERYONE……….

I was speaking to one of our neighbours a couple of days ago…and she had ordered a special meal in her suite for lunch……curried egg sandwich……but as she is American, even something as simple as that isn’t what we are used to…….its “egg salad”……so Cands….if you want a true blue meal, you will have to really spell it out for the Chefs…..but it certainly is do able. On our last cruise we had Chef Markus educated in the way of egg and lettuce sandwiches for afternoon tea……but that hasn’t happened this time. Don’t like the sandwiches at all, at afternoon tea……….

I suppose I should start talking about the Amazon experience……..

We have now been in the Amazon for 4 days. 36 hours before we entered the Amazon, the water we were sailing in, in the Atlantic was that beautiful very dark blue……12 hours later the water in the Atlantic was the muddy brown of the Amazon. The water flows out into the Atlantic from the river, for about 100 miles before the waters mix…..

We had an announcement that although we would enter the Amazon in the middle of the night, at around 6am would be the nicest part to start seeing the River. Our inbuilt radar woke us in time to be up on Deck 8 at 6am. The “Early Risers” breakfast had been set up so plenty of fruit juice, tea and coffee, doughnuts, pastries, fruit and toast to keep us going until breakfast! We spent the next 12 hours in the Constellation Lounge with just a short break for breakfast. Lunch we got from the Sky Grill and ate in the Constellation….

This first part of the River was fantastic, we were in a very narrow area (the North Breves Narrows) so could view the rain forest close up on both sides of the ship. The rain forest was spectacular, lots of waterfront homes….a lot with satellite dishes! Then of course we also saw the timber mills……huge piles of timber cut from the rainforest…..large areas of devastation….but probably not as bad as I had been expecting. There were a few small towns, a few even smaller villages….and all along the river children and even adults paddled their canoes out to see us. There was a lot of things thrown overboard for the villagers…..clothing….food…..etc. We had a couple of hats that we had been given on a tour, so threw those overboard……also John had outgrown a T ****….so over it went!! On the return we will throw out our chocolates……and maybe Johns Tux?

It was a great day…….the Amazon is absolutely amazing……as we left the Narrows, the river got bigger and bigger. Could never have imagined just how big this river is.

The second day we arrived in Santarem……H Stern had shuttles arranged again in to the town, but we didn’t take advantage of that. Getting a bit tired of H Stern being right there wherever we go!! There were a few hand craft stalls set up on the pier, but nothing we would be able to take back in to Australia. Everything was made of timber, seeds, feathers, fish bones etc…….Australian Customs officers would lock us up as soon as we landed if we tried to take any of that stuff back home! Great masks, beads etc….and wonderful blow guns which were demonstrated to us……nope……not allowed for us….

We then had a tour in the afternoon to see “The Meeting of the Waters”….where the waters of the Amazon met with the waters of the Tapajos……the muddy brown water meeting with the darker water……quite amazing. The different colored water took some time before it mixed together……different temperatures etc causing this phenomenon.

There were quite a lot of passengers doing this trip so we had 4 riverboats……about 30 people to each boat. We then went into an area of very still water….similar to the Everglades and places we have seen in Australia….very quiet and peaceful. Saw lots of water buffalo, small cattle farms, lots of birdlife etc….then it was time for piranha fishing! Granny was the only passenger to catch a piranha on our boat! It was only a baby so after I took some pics and John kissed it….we threw it back to its mother! The guides caught a few BIG ones, all different colours…..so we think they had a tank of different varieties on the back of the boat…….seemed strange that they caught them so fast but no one else did? After the piranha fishing I told the guide that I hadn’t seen a sloth….so he found one for me. Took some photos……a brown lump at the top of the tree……at least I know it’s a sloth…..no one else would guess!

This was one of the best tours we have done….wish it could have lasted a lot longer. Even though the weather was so hot, the boat is all undercover and as we were sailing there was a lovely breeze……might do the same tour on the return journey……

Next day we just sailed the Amazon all day, then day after, we arrived in the Anavilhanas Archipelago…..(today) There were tours by native canoe and walks in the jungle but we opted not to go on these. That night we were supposed to be having a beach bbq, followed by canoe trips to see alligators.

The poor crew started transferring all the gear over to the beach at around 3pm……at around 5pm the heavens opened……the rain cleared for a while, but there was a lot of thunder and lightening still around….so the BBQ had to be cancelled. So much work and it didn’t happen. The alligator hunt wasn’t cancelled, but wasn’t starting till 9pm. so we chose to have an early night instead.

Tomorrow we arrive in Manaus….for two days….so I will write about that in a few days time. We have absolutely loved out Amazon Experience so far………

So until next time

Bye from Granny…..

>"Australian Customs officers would lock us up as soon as we landed if we tried to take any of that stuff back home! Great masks, beads etc….and wonderful blow guns which were demonstrated to us……nope……not allowed for us…."

If you send some bags home via DHL, you could probably send a few tiny souveniers back.

Thanks for the wonderful recounting of the Amazon journey. And a big hug to your 'bigger fish', the one with the beard and sun glasses.

>"If you send some bags home via DHL, you could probably send a few tiny souveniers back.

Hi Jane,

Im sure Granny won't mind if I chip in here.

Australian customs are amongst the strictest in the world. Anything organic must be declared and many items are banned. Almost every Australian who has travelled overseas has endured the heartbreak of surrendering that wonderful exotic knicknack from who knows where!

Unaccompanied baggage receives the same, or greater scrutiny upon arrival, and the penalties are severe.

I fully understand Lorraine's stance on this one. It's a lot easier to just not buy anything made of organic matter.

Having said that, we still buy a few things that we just 'have to have', declare them on arrival, and hope for the best.

Cheers,

Steve.

JaneBP…..sorry not to have answered the email you sent days and days ago…..but I only check that email about once a week, just to delete all the junk, so only found it today! I just use a hotmail email while I am traveling……saves time…..and dollars…..but anyway, sorry no, I didn’t take any pics of you……..

Decebal……as I said in my last post….THE RIVER IS HUGE…..I knew it was big, but it’s much more than that. The width of it at times is just amazing…..we are loving every minute of it. Bugs?.......well I went through all the pain and trauma of a yellow fever vaccine……have been swallowing anti malaria pills……been spraying with the most expensive bug spray sold in Australia……and haven’t spotted ONE mosquito yet! A friend got bitten by “something” a couple of days ago…didn’t see what it was, but I haven’t heard any other complaints. Nelson did have a humungous spider on him last night……but it was only plastic…..

Humidity of course is very high……most people seem to be coping very well (not me, I hate the heat) Lots still sitting in the sun all day (Skin Cancer clinics in the USA will be making huge profits very soon!) Most people still seem to enjoy having breakfast and lunch outdoors in the veranda……we stay inside with the airconditioning…..only time we dine outdoors is at night in the Sky Grill……there is usually a nice breeze by then.

We are now in Manaus, and all the disembarking passengers have gone, so we have had a tour of some of the “empty” suites on the “po folks deck”…..

I was particularly interested in seeing 101, as Martha has called it “a mini owners suite”.

We really like it too! Just snuk down there again and took some photos…..I will upload them when I get home. Of course it may be a wee bit bumpier down there in really rough weather, but we are in 106 so not much difference, I wouldn’t imagine. The window is quite a bit smaller, but overall I think it would suit us very well.

Our main problem with our suite is where the desk is……when I am sitting here using the computer, John can’t get past….he has to climb over the bed…….looks like the suites further forward than 106 have a much bigger space between the end of the bed and the desk……so for us even those would be preferable to what we have now. I had no idea they were different at all……taken me about 110 days to learn these facts! The couch in 101 is bigger than the other suites…..a 3 seater instead of a 2 seater, but from there you cant see the television….have to sit in the other chairs or in bed to see the TV……that would be the main downside….but as I hardly watch the TV at all, not a problem for me.

Move forward a couple of days……..

Last night I spoke to Chef Markus, and asked WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THE FRIES!!! He said there had been a problem with deliveries, but the “good” ones will be back in Barbados…….wont give me very long to make sure they are the “right” ones though!! I still think it’s been “cost cutting” as we didn’t have the good ones when we started from Fort Lauderdale……probably a good thing for me as I would have eaten too many! So a message to the purchasing officer for Seabourn….DONT MESS WITH OUR FRENCH FRIES OR BREADSTICKS!!! I can feel a mutiny coming on!

We have now left Manaus, but I will try to remember all the details of our 2 day stay there.

The first day we had a tour booked for the afternoon, so in the morning we just went up to the Cruise Terminal to try to change some money. We had docked quite a distance from the Terminal, so there was a shuttle bus to take us there and back. Again it was very annoying to go down the gangway and be annoyed by reps from H Stern and now also Amsterdam Sauer. They also annoyed us going back UP the gangway…… They keep offering free tours, free shuttles etc etc……as we all know nothing in this World is free!

Of course at the Terminal the only shops that were open were H Stern and Amsterdam Sauer…….plus a very small shop selling magazines etc….and a Bar…..no sign of a money changer.

Our tour for the afternoon was a boat trip, to see the Meeting of the Waters again. The riverboat picked us up right at the ship and the first part of the tour was along the waterfront with the guide explaining all the different areas etc. When we got to the meeting of the Rio Negro and the Amazon, the boat spent quite a bit of time there so we could all get as many photos as we wanted. The difference in the waters here was much more dramatic than at Santarem. I took a lot of photos and it’s quite amazing. Will post them when I get home. Next stop was at an area they called a “lake”. There was a restaurant, souvenir shop, and was also where we transferred to canoes for the trip through this area. Getting into the canoe was a bit of a challenge, but we all managed in the end. We didn’t have to paddle….they had outboards. Most of them even had outboards that actually worked……..that’s right….Granny’s outboard didn’t work….well it did until they got us out into the middle of the lake….then it didn’t work! Well that’s an easy problem to solve……they just brought another canoe out to us….and we had to climb from one canoe into the other!! Sounds easy? .......wish I had been onshore taking the photos! Of course it had only been a very short time ago, that we had been told that the piranhas in this area were not as big a problem as the parasite fish! We all made it without being attacked by either!

One good thing about being motionless in the middle of the lake, was that it gave some of the local kids time to paddle out to us, in their canoes, with all their “pets” draped on them. Of course they also had their hands stretched out for money if you wanted to take a photo. I was over the moon!! Two of the kids had sloths…….one of the main reasons I came to South America was to see a sloth….. (good reason eh?) This was the first ever up close experience I have ever had with a sloth. I am going to trade the dog in and get one myself…..I got some good pics with both kids, handed over money to both….then John asked to hold one……when we think about that now, it was a rather silly idea…..rabies, tetanus, parasites etc etc. I have no idea what nasties a sloth can carry…….but who cares, we have dozens of doctors on board. It was so beautiful……and I got to pat it. Next canoe to come up had kids carrying Caymans, and one with a monkey….and finally one with an anaconda….or maybe a boa….didn’t stick around to find out!

We then set off on a trip around the area, looking for birds etc….heard a lot but didn’t see any. Also heard monkeys….but didn’t see any. The people in one of the boats saw a couple of toucans. It was a lovely peaceful trip, and we saw those huge water lilies, but there was only one flower and a few huge pads. Back to where we had to get back on the riverboat….and getting out of the canoe was a real struggle….thought I was going to either end up in the drink, or have something broken, but managed to crawl out onto the dock in the end. There was a very big souvenir shop here, with some really beautiful wooden products carved out of what we think was probably rosewood. I loved all the masks etc but still nothing here we could take back to Oz. Too many seeds, feathers, plant material etc. Maybe I should have gone to H Stern after all!

On the way back to the ship, we saw the famous pink dolphins…not much of them, but did see the odd bump stick out of the water.

We really enjoyed this tour…….the meeting of the waters here was much better than at Santarem…..but the still water area we preferred at Santarem, with the piranha fishing…..so its probably a good idea to do both these tours if you are in this area.

The next day we did the other tour offered in Manaus, which was the City tour. Can’t say we liked Manaus as a city very much…….pretty well the same as any other Brazilian city we have seen….dirty, run down, graffiti covered, abandoned broken down buildings……If it wasn’t for the Amazon I don’t see much reason for anyone to come to Brazil! First stop was the zoo. This is part of the Army training area and all the animals are supposed to have been “rescued” while the soldiers were out in the jungle for whatever reasons…….the reason for visiting the zoo was to see all the endangered animals. There was one toucan in a cage….3 mackaws……a couple of caymans in dirty green ponds……a jaguar in a dirty concrete bunker etc etc. The monkeys actually had a nice new looking area, except for the “smallest monkey in the World”. He was just in a cage. I did know the name of this monkey until one of the guests called it a “mini monkey” and now the real name has gone right out of my head! All I can think of is “mini monkey”.

Next stop was the Opera House. This building was lovely and well worth seeing and last stop was one of the Rubber Barons former homes, which is now an art gallery. The house was beautiful, but the area around it wasn’t!

That afternoon was supposed to be a life drill for all the new guests, so all us oldies gathered in the Sky Bar to “watch”. Then the heavens opened, and the drill was transferred to the Magellan Lounge….missed out again! My last chance will be in Fort Lauderdale…..so far I think there will only be 6 of us in the Sky Bar that day!

A few people had told us they wouldn’t bother doing the “Meeting of the waters” tour, as the ship would sail right over the area on our way out and they would see it for nothing……well yes we did sail right over it…….but it was dark!! So anyone doing this cruise in the future….if you want to see this phenomenon……spend the $50!!

Last night we had dinner on a hosted table with the Bridge instructors. Very nice people from Canada…..actually all the bridge instructors we have met on both our cruises have been really nice….*waves to Judith and Ivor* (we don’t play Bridge)….one lady sitting down the opposite end to me, and next to John mentioned something about Martha and CC…….so John told her that I also write in CC…..she looked at me and said “oh are you GrannyLorr”……wow, I am famous! She did tell me her name in CC but its just letters, so sorry cant remember now after a nights sleep! She also told me she had bought John and I some “St Patricks” decorations….so isn’t that wonderful? Now we will certainly be recognized in the Sky Bar on the 17th!

After dinner our whole table went up to the show, which was a new comedian on board. He had arrived in Manaus on Saturday….and his luggage arrived Sunday. He had his suitcase at the show, as he said he wasn’t letting it out of his sight again. He was very lucky……can’t think where it would have caught up with him between here and Devils Island!!

Well that is about all for now

So until next time

Bye from Granny

Granny,

As usual and excellent narrative. We did the Amazon last year.After Manuas we stayed 4 nights in a jungle lodge and then 4 nights on the Amazon Clipper. Wildlife surreal and fascinating.

Can I ask-is Judith and Ivor still on board?

Thanks.

Snowing here in the Peak District !

Kind regards,

Tony

Hi Tony,

So nice to inquire about us. Ivor and I left the ship in Buenos Aires--a fabulous city--our second time there. Spent two days there, three days in Iguazu Falls (the Brazilian side is a MUST) and back to B.A. where we spent another two days.

We had been in Buenos Aires in 2001 and stayed at a charming, family run hotel in Recoleta. The location was excellent, the staff were helpful and spoke English, and the owner's son drove us around for a nominal fee. "Why not stay there again" thought I. I googled the hotel name and booked a room. When we arrived, however, it looked totally different. I kept on inquiring whether the lobby had been redesigned lately, where was Manuelo and Sebastyn, etc. Everyone stared at me--in part because they didn't speak English. Luckily, I speak some Spanish. "No, the lobby had looked this way for at least 20 years" "Manuelo?" Sebastyn? Of course! We were at the wrong hotel!

This turned out to be a find, however. We were right behind The Cemetery, and both Freddo's and Volta"s ice cream parlors were a half block away in either direction. (If you're an ice cream freak, a stop here is a must. ) The afternoon staff did speak some English and couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.

We're now back in the U.S. for a short time. On March 27 we fly to Lisbon for a few days before re boarding on March 30. Granny--a wave to you and a hug to John in Lisbon.

This is our last Seabourn trip for 2008, but in 2009 we are on the Spirit in January--Hong Kong to Singapore and back. Anybody joining us there?

I don't post a lot, but I lurk. Love reading your posts, Lorraine. Keep them coming.

AA

Grannylorr

As to your desk/vanity inconvenience....did you exchange your vanity chair for the coffee table barrel stool? I think this makes a huge difference as to the room between the vanity and the bed. Try it :D

Slide the chair under the coffee table ~~the end toward the window.

Thanks for your update! Are there only 6 guests aboard now scheduled to Cross with us?

Martita B.

Sorry Granny

I didn't mean to hijack your thread with my long post. Hope you're having a fantastic time. I couldn't climb up the hill to the prison on Devil's Island. I understand it's worth seeing. If you can't climb, send John with the camera.

:)

Grannylorr

As to your desk/vanity inconvenience....did you exchange your vanity chair for the coffee table barrel stool? I think this makes a huge difference as to the room between the vanity and the bed. Try it :D

Slide the chair under the coffee table ~~the end toward the window.

Thanks for your update! Are there only 6 guests aboard now scheduled to Cross with us?

Martita B.

Martha,Have you tried ripping the bed from the wall and putting it by the window? :)

Tuesday 4th March

We are now on our way back down the Amazon and at the moment are back in Santarem. We were supposed to be going to Alter do Chao but there was some “domestic problem” again….so here we are! Seabourn had arranged a shuttle service to Alter do Chao though, so we took that this morning. It was a one hour drive there and one hour back….we didn’t stay as there was a two hour wait for the next shuttle. After a quick glance around we couldn’t see what we could do to fill in 2 hours. The bus was a rough old rattler and of course no airconditioning, so it was good that it wasn’t a terribly hot day today. With the windows all open there was a nice cool breeze as we hurtled along at break neck speeds on very rough roads! As there had been some rain and the roads were wet and slippery, I was quite relieved when we pulled back into the safety of the Port!

This was our last chance to buy anything, and we had 10 Reals left….so bought a timber thing at the stalls in the Port area…….probably have it taken off us by Customs…..

Last night we had our “Exclusive Seabourn” excursion at Parintins. What a great night it was! We were told to assemble in the Magellan Lounge, as is usual when tendering ashore….but this time we were being picked up by riverboat….so back down the stairs, past the “po folks deck” and on into the Restaurant……..we all filed through the Restaurant, then out the back door, and through a “Crew” area to the “pilots door”. Never seen this part of the ship before so maybe that was our “Seabourn Experience”…..

The riverboat was supposed to be able to take 200…..but after 100 had boarded they decided they had better make 2 runs…….we were at the tail end of the queue, so got to sit in airconditioned comfort in the Restaurant while we waited for the boat to come back for us. Captain Andersen joined us…..dressed in civvies!! Peaked cap on backwards and all! It was just a short walk to the arena where we were to see a performance of Boi Bumba…..This is the local version of Carnival and they perform a percentage of their show for the tourists. We were told the Princendam was here the night before, and it poured with rain….we had perfect weather! When we were all seated the show began. Beautiful costumes, stage sets, music and dancing……these kids had so much energy they wore me out! All through the show we were served local foods and those terrible Brazilian drinks, which I can never spell or pronounce until I have had at least 5! It was a really good night and I think probably about 90% of the guests attended, because as we approached the ship on our return, the crew from the Veranda were leaning over the rails looking for customers, and the Restaurant was almost empty…..poor crew all looked bored without us all there for them to run after!

When we left the show, they must have decided that they could fit us all on one riverboat after all……so on we filed. Then the fun began………”someone” had left the lights on in the boat while we were at the show…..and the batteries were flat! No way was that engine going to start. I suggested a swimming race back to the ship….but no one would join me….bet the piranhas are only baby ones here! The “drummers” and a few of the dancers had come on the boat with us, so they started performing again. We were also served with more food and drinks, so were well looked after while we waited. The generator had to be started to recharge the batteries…..it was just such a short distance back to the ship! Well of course we all got back eventually, some wearing weird and wonderful headgear, which they continued to wear throughout dinner….what a shame it wasn’t “Formal night”….those feathers were quite spectacular!

We had all been given beads and woven head gear, but of course we wont be able to keep ours.

Once again, after spraying huge amounts of bug spray, we didn’t see one bug….

Tonight we are going to try to stay up late! As long as the weather stays clear, we are having “Movies Under the Stars”……after over 100 days on Seabourn we have never done this so are looking forward to it. The movie tonight is “Papillon”….getting us in the mood for our next stop at Devils Island!

Yesterday we decided to once again play Trivia…..this would be our last chance. Our team is called The Vacuum….and we WON! No more bookmarks….we got sun visors. Good old Granny was the only one in the whole room who got the Bonus question right! It was purely a guess….but a good guess! Three weird names were read out and we were asked “who they were”…….my guess was the three wise monkeys…..probably wont get another one right the entire competition! There are 2 of us CC’ers on the team! Don’t think we will play on the Crossing……will be much too serious then!

Now to answer some questions…….well don’t need to answer Tony and Trevors, Judith has done that……seems I am not the only one who books into the “wrong” hotels?? LOL

Jane…..as Cands said, Aussie Customs is really really strict and we know what we can and can’t take in. Sometimes we do take something that we aren’t sure about, and that is fine as long as you declare it….if you don’t you are in big heaps of trouble! If we ship a bag home, as we hope to do from Lisbon, it won’t be delivered to our home; it will go to the Airport and go through the same inspections as everything else. Last trip I bought a great little camel in Dubai, it was a reclining camel with its legs flat out, and had a pained expression on its face…..it reminded me of the one that John had just climbed off….so I just had to have it. As I didn’t know what it was made of, I declared it……Customs took it off me saying it was what they were stuffed with that wasn’t allowed….so poor camel was cremated….I am still in mourning! I would have loved to buy a piranha…….

Martha, moving the chair and replacing it with the stool wont work, as its only when I am sitting at the desk that it is a problem………I don’t want to sit on a stool while I am typing for hours, so John will just have to keep climbing over the bed!

As far as who will be doing the Crossing…..when I said 6….I forgot about Miss A!!! So that’s 7. There is an Austrian couple, she speaks reasonably good English, but he, very little at all, so I haven’t said anything to them about the “parties”. We had breakfast with them this morning, so I did mention the “goodbye” to the Pride at the pier in Lisbon. (They are staying in Lisbon a couple of days)…she was also wearing a plaid shirt this morning! I believe there is also an English couple, but haven’t met them yet……haven’t heard of anyone else.

Our suite looks like a flower shop! A couple of days ago the Housekeeper brought us a beautiful arrangement…the same ones they are using for the main Dining tables…..must have bought too many! That was a lovely surprise…..then when we got back to our suite that night, we also had a big vase of more flowers!

I only have about 1.5 hours left of Internet……..but there shouldn’t be much to report for the next few days anyway. The trip is almost over! After planning and dreaming about it for almost two years, it’s hard to believe it is very quickly coming to an end.

>"Three weird names were read out and we were asked “who they were”…….my guess was the three wise monkeys….."

I was waiting for that question, even told my teammates about it when I left in Ushuaia!

Sunday 9th March

It is so good to be back out into the Ocean again, as Captain Andersen says “the motion of the ocean”. I am sleeping much better than I did in the Amazon….I love the rocking….John??? not so much…….and he has run out of sea sick pills….think he will be looking for a Pharmacy when we get to Barbados tomorrow! There were actually quite a lot of “green” people yesterday and the day before……just as well they weren’t here when we were down at the bottom!!

I can’t believe this cruise is so close to ending…..Granny will need therapy soon, but at least we still have the Crossing to look forward too. A 72 day cruise isn’t as long as you would think!

We had our second “Crossing the Equator” ceremony a couple of days ago. After all the pollywogs had been punished John and another Australian (of course) started up a chant….so into the drink went Captain Andersen, then the Hot Man, then Chef Markus……at least the shellbacks had a good time! No idea what we were drinking, but they were green….think they were Rum punch……might have to have those for St Paddys Day!

Did I mention before that one of our latest passengers, who reads CC and sometimes writes there, brought me a bag of St Paddys goodies? So I have some extra “decorations” for people who haven’t got any.

Now onto Trivia…..we are so brilliant…..won two days in a row. First day Granny got the bonus question….second day John got the bonus question…..we just won’t mention Day 3……..Today is Day 4. I told our team last time “no drinking and no sex” before competition……do you think they took me seriously? We will know in an hour!!

We have also had another “Club Cocktail Reception” and this time John and I received our 100 day pins…..BUT they had run out of 100 days….so we got the 200 days!! Oh well who is counting!

Yesterday we were at Devils Island. What a beautiful island it is now…..doesn’t look anything like what we saw in “Papillon”. While we were waiting for the pilot, we saw a few sharks swimming around, but they were only babies…not much bigger than my piranha! I kept looking for mummy and daddy but couldn’t see them. Luckily it was quite calm; otherwise I might have felt a bit nervous climbing in and out of the tender boat! To see the main part of Devils Island, it is quite a long steep climb to the top….so of course Granny had to do it……Granny shouldn’t have done it……it was also very hot. Anyway I made it there and back…no idea how. Gets a bit embarrassing when Captain Andersen almost runs past you….then Chef Markus……we had plenty of time though so we didn’t need to run! We saw a couple of monkeys, lots of iguanas, some huge rodent things that I forget the name of, also a huge turtle while waiting for the tender. We heard later that there was a monkey throwing coconuts at some of the crew! Wonder if they know something we don’t?

One of our waiters this morning told us he was convinced that the lady running the shop on Devils Island was the direct descendant of one of the convicts. He bought a t shirt, a fridge magnet and some post cards, think there may have been one other thing…..and the bill came to $88….but then he found it wasn’t actually “dollars”…it was Euros!! John was very lucky that I wasn’t feeling 100% by the time we got to the shop, so I just had a quick look but wasn’t in the mood for shopping! He had told me that because I made it all the way up there I could have anything I wanted….but later he told me he only said that because he thought he would be able to sell it again by the end of the day! I won’t be doing a hike like that again!

Now an observation we have made recently, which I think you might all give some thought too. Now we know we can have our rooms cleaned any time we want to on Seabourn…..we can sleep all day if we want….or get out of bed late….or whatever…. We usually go to breakfast around 8am….and at that time the Stewardess’ are already in the hallways waiting to clean our suite. We have noticed lately a lot of “Do Not Disturb” signs on the doors all morning, then around 1pm to 1.30pm the “Please Make up Suite” signs. To us this seems a bit unfair to the girls. If we wanted to sleep in, we would tell the Stewardess we didn’t need our room cleaned that day……as we often do if we aren’t going out for dinner…….she doesn’t need to come in and clean the bathroom a second time or turn down our bed, we can manage that much ourselves….she always brings our chocolates though! If the girls still have a lot of rooms to clean in the afternoons, it means they miss any chance of going onshore…….we just don’t think that is fair. Some of them may never get back to these Ports so a brief visit for them would be great. Even if we are not in a Port, having your room cleaned in the afternoon is also eating into their little bit of leisure or rest time…….just keep it in mind next time you cruise.

Oh I think I forgot to tell you, that we have weakened and booked another cruise! We hadn’t intended booking another at the moment, as we have things happening at home soon, which will make it a bit more difficult to plan trips for a while. In a nutshell, we have sold our property to “Developers” and we could be made to move any time in the next 3 years…with just three months notice. We need to find a new home and get all our junk collected over 30 years moved before the bulldozers run over us! Then we thought, that it’s not likely to happen next year…..so we can get in one more cruise first…we hope! Anyway, it’s the Baltic next year…..August/September. Copenhagen back to London. I will just get unpacked from this trip and have to start packing for the next!

This will be our shortest cruise, think its 29 days.

Tony and Trevor, I passed on your message to Crina, so hopefully you have had an answer by now. She said she had answered you, but must be in cyber space somewhere. She was going to use her own laptop to see if it would work better.

Well I think Granny has run out of news again

So until next time

Bye from Granny!

Archived