nasau straw market

bill jacobs

We were there in last January and it's right beside the port. You'll be able to see your ship from it. Now as far as "the best place to shop goes", you will get better deals than the stores nearby. I've never been farther than that for shopping. Also if you're claustrophobic(sp), you won't want to venture too far in.

This will probably be moved to the Ports of Call board.

The straw market is just down from the pier. You can't miss it, really. It's visible from on deck. Big, white tent.

Lots and lots of counterfit purses. Lots of cheapo jewelry. That's about it!

If you want "real" shopping, there are dozens of jewelry stores and some clothing stores on Bay Street (a block from the pier).

Again, check the Bahamas board under the Ports of Call board.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r125/carm225/HoneymoonPictures013.jpg

It's right by where the ship docks. I didn't like the straw market at all....it was so crowded and hard to move around in! It seemed like you could go to the first three vendors or so and they had the same stuff as all the other vendors there.

Hope the picture worked...

Apparently I forgot how to post a picture! The link works though, and you can see a picture of the straw market there.

I have read that the straw market in nassau is the best shopping area on the island, has any one been there and confirm what i have read. where is it located and how far from the cruise ship docks is it ?

It is a 5 minute walk from the ship, just follow the dock around u can't miss it. As far as the best shopping? well it is pretty much a tourist trinket mart. Lots of various stands all have about the same stuff, t shirts, souveneirs etc. One near the dock out front sells various wood carvings. Remember to dicker with the prices to get the best deals.

it was a dive and totally disgusting and disappointing. It was close to the ship though

It's a straw market! I don't know what you were expecting, but it was exactly what I expect from a straw market.

I rarely buy anything, but I love wandering through it. DD always finds some cheap earrings. You just say "just looking" or "no thanks" and keep walking. Don't waste the vendor's time if you aren't purchasing.

A dive? Disgusting? Disappointing? :confused:

That's one place that I'm not going back to. Very crowded. The paths through the place are very narrow, like maybe 3' or less at times. It's open, no a/c. The vendors are all over you, wanting you to buy. Once I got inside, I couldn't wait to get out of there. Get this - in the middle of the place they had a cigar stand, and there was some smoking - extreme fire hazard (remember, the first straw market burned down). There were a lot of local ladies there weaving baskets and such, loads of t-shirts (in piles). I can find other places to spend money. The only thing I bought that day were two pairs of socks from a mens store on the main shopping street (I goofed and left all my colored socks at home, major snafu), and a soda. Needless to say, I don't recommend the straw market to anyone.

Ken

I thoroughly dislike the Straw Market. As stated above, it is hot, humid, and definitely not for those with any type of claustrophobia.

Although I was very friendly and polite, they were unwilling to negotiate on price. One visit there was more than enough for me, and I did not visit them in subsequent trips to Nassau.

Just my opinion, nothing more, nothing less :)

Cindy

Wow! I have to agree with the previous posters. I wouldn't be caught dead in the Straw Market again. We went in and couldn't get out. All the aisles were congested or blocked. All I could think about was if there was a fire, we were literally "toast". I am claustrophobic and almost made my own exit!

I found the stores on the main street to be much better. Lots of perfume and jewelry to choose from and I found perfumes not available on the Fantasy. Not sure how great the bargains were, but still much cheaper than in the US.

I have read that the straw market in nassau is the best shopping area on the island, has any one been there and confirm what i have read. where is it located and how far from the cruise ship docks is it ?

If going to Nassau to buy junk made in China gives you a thrill, you'll have a great time. Actual bargains are found on the internet these days.

Dan

We were in Nassau on December 17.

Unfortunately, I agree with everyone else as well. I also don't like tight spaces, and I am not a haggler, so the Straw Market was not for me. I was into the Market 2 stalls, and couldn't get out fast enough.

There are a lot of stores along Bay Street that have the same stuff as the Market. The clerks don't hassle you, there is plenty of room to move through the stores, and the stores are neat and tidy.

I agree, the straw market is not a repeat for us. I can see where someone who needs to take something back might get a good deal. However, I found the best deals in town. Yes, you have to haggle with them to get the price down, but if you are stern and are willing to walk away, you will get incredible deals. (Also, keep in mind, a deal to you may not be such a great deal to someone else...it all depends on what you are looking for and what you are willing to spend on it.):)

Having been to Nassau twice, we only made the mistake of going into the Straw Market the first trip. It's closed in, crowded and you get "deals" made by every vendor you walk by. The knockoff purses they sell are a huge amount of their incomes, but they are cheap imitations and I think it's actually illegal to bring them back into the US. There have also been reports of pickpockets in the Straw Market as it's pretty cramped and easy to get "bumped" into so someone can take something without your realizing it. We stick with the legitimate businesses in town to purchase gifts and souvenirs.

Its been about 12 years since I been there. But we picked up some nice

hats which were made from Panama stray. Its some of the smoothest straw

I have ever seen. I don't remember what we paid but was a great price. We

still use these hats some 12 years later.

But it can be hot and lots of people. But its a experience you never forget. I

been to lots of ports and never seen anything like it.

Have fun mon.

I often wonder if anyone perished in the fire when the joint burned down the first time. That place could probably be totally involved in fire, from one end to the other, in 10 minutes or less.

Ken

I think it started in the after everything closed. That is what my "mature" brain cells are telling me. If not, someone will correct me.:D

I personally would not walk into the Straw market, IMO it looked unsafe. DH and I walked over to it and looked inside and turned around and went back to the ship.

From what I could see it was just a bunch of stuff that I could purchase at my local flea market.

years ago i bought the best straw tote for the best price at the straw market. that was before the fire. i was back there 3 years ago and it was crowded and hot and i didnt see much that i would want to buy except for the same straw totes. the one i bought 3years ago was similar to a Capelli that you pay 30 - 40 dollars for in a dept store at the beginning of the summer season. I paid 12.00 .. a very good deal. my dh found a great straw hat. we have bought t shirts there as well, but some of the stores on bay street give you similar deals on tee shirts. as far as jewelry and perfume...forget it...you dont know what you are buying. go to the shopping talk on the ship or watch it on your tv in your cabin and you will get some good ideas on where to shop. I have found that the stores the ship recommends are very good.

Hopefully I can pick a suitable cruise that dont go to Nassau again. Didnt see anything there desirable and the straw market was the most undesirable place in Nassau. I agree with the other poster, Bay St is a much better place to shop.

Archived