NCL Jewell/FOOD

jdiane

So can anyone tell me how the food REALLY is on NCL? I have done alot of reading and I haven't heard alot of good things about the food being served. I have only been on Celebrity before AND the food was wonderful with good quality. Leaving on Feb 10 for western cruise, hope we won't be sorry we did not choose a different line. First time cruise for other passenger, don't want it to be the trip they will NEVER forget!

If you choose to go into an event suspect of the results, you will be looking for faults..From your post, I think you might adjust your additude to positive from suspect and you'll have a good time...I've been on 4 celebrity cruises and they aint perfect either....don't worry, be happy

Food really is relative to everyone....so you'll get plenty of opinions. I have had great meals and not so great meals...none have ruined my holiday. The bottom line is I haven't had to cook it, serve it or clean up after it....

I was on the Jewel in April and enjoyed everything I had....

So can anyone tell me how the food REALLY is on NCL? I have done alot of reading and I haven't heard alot of good things about the food being served. I have only been on Celebrity before AND the food was wonderful with good quality. Leaving on Feb 10 for western cruise, hope we won't be sorry we did not choose a different line. First time cruise for other passenger, don't want it to be the trip they will NEVER forget!

You will never get a straight answer to this question because food tastes are so very different from person to person.

What are your food expectations? Do you expect a 5 star dining experience? You need to set your own expectations and not let others set them for you.

We have been on many NCL cruises and more specifically on the Jewel twice. We found the food to be very good as with all of the other lines we have sailed. I would suggest to just go and make up your own mind.

PE

IMHO, NCL food ranges from good to excellent in the past. You may be in luck however...NCL has announced "Freestyle 2.0" upgrades which are being implemented starting immediately and will be complete on all ships within a few months. Here is the link...(note the upgrades regarding the food).

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20071219006036&newsLang=en

Since this is your first time on NCL you will find some things you don't like nearly as well as on Celebrity BUT there are also some things that NCL does much better than other lines. It is just a matter of getting used to what each one does best and enjoying it. As far as food goes NCL is very comparable to most other cruise lines. Try Mama's kitchen for some good Italian food at no extra cost. Also enjoy the complimentary espresso and cappicino in the dining room (some lines charge extra for this). There are also auto espresso machines in the buffet which do a fantastic job. They are not at all like the convenience store machines. Also be aware that there are food items available that are not on the menu. You can get a steak any evening.

We have been on the Jewel twice and consider it great ship. We have also sailed other NCL ships as well as Celebrity, RCCL, HAL, Princess, and Carnival. Enjoyed every one of them.

golly, I hope this is my imagination, but sounds like you have already prepared yourself for bad food and not enjoying your cruise. That is too bad. As for the food, all lines (yes, Celebrity as well) have cut back on quality and quantity. I don't know when you did your Celebrity cruise. Is the food on the Jewel good, yes, very good but don't expect 5 star, no line gives you that. We have cruised Celebrity twice, with the exception of top quality meats, I have not found their food any better than any other line.

I would recommend you try the specialty dining rooms at least once. BTW, is this a 5 day or longer cruise? I ask, because the shorter the cruise the less the quality of food, or this has been our experience. The worst Lobster we have ever had was on a 5 day Celebrity cruise. In fact, that cruise was the last short cruise we will ever take. We had tried several 4 and 5 dayers, just not the same as 7 day or longer.

Now go and enjoy your cruise. Will you find yourselves comparing the two lines? Of course, this is natural and the first one or two cruises are the ones that will always be the best, or should be, that being said, the Jewel is a fun and beautiful ship. If you do not have a good time, it is because you have prepared yourselves not to. The Jewel, normally gets great reviews.

We are about to cruise Princess for the first time. Every other mass marketed line we have cruise more than one. I have read some not to positive things about the ship we have chosen and some good things. I am not expecting to not like the ship or have a bad experiecne. I enjoy cruising, know each line has pros and cons and I am looking forward to meeting all the neat people from our Meet and Greet. We will love our cruise cause we expect to have a good time.

Nita

Suggest you go to cruisingbob's blog, personally I think he gives an honest prospective with all the fancy hoopla.Judge for yourself

http://www.*****/2007/12/ncl-jewel-9-day-caribbean-review.html

some of what he said;

"The other 7 nights I ate in the Tsar’s dining room because it had a nicer view – huge picture windows where you could see the sunset and twinkling lights of the ports as we departed. I found the food and service to be excellent - I would not hesitate to recommend eating in the main dining room every night; save your money for other things! After/between normal dinner dining hours there is a very nice (and free) small restaurant/snack area called the Blue Lagoon (a waiter will take your order and you order from a limited menu) – they serve great hot wings and fresh fish & chips. During dinner hours they serve the Tapas menu. Additionally, the Blue Lagoon is also a great secret for a quiet breakfast. Even though the breakfast menu is limited, I found it to be the perfect setting, never crowded and chaotic like the buffet. The buffet on deck 11 was excellent – the selection of food for every meal was great. For breakfast they have waffle and omelet stations as well as a variety of breakfast items, excellent lox and Eggs Benedict that some members of my party swore by. For lunch they had a variety of hot items, a sandwich bar, salad bar, make-your-own soup and stir fry stations, make-your-own pasta station, pizza and calzones, burgers and fries and sushi. Soft serve ice cream with toppings is also available and free daily – a nice touch".

Archived