Koalas, Wombats & Kangaroos OH MY

wblevin

I love the wildlife and want to get as up close and personal as many times as possible on our up coming cruise. Don't mind going to various zoos, sanctuaries and wildlife habitats - just would like to know where is the best place to see them:

It is a MUST to Hold a Koala (kodak moment definite) where is the best place to find one awake and photgenic??

Cuddle a wombat, feed the kangaroos, pet a tasmanian devil and view a platypus. I have the penguins and albatross covered in Dunedin. Please help particularly with holding the koalas and cuddling a wombat.

If you're coming to Sydney there is Koala Park where you can hold a koala and have your photo taken. Good luck trying to find one awake though. They also have kangaroo enclosures where you can pat them as well. I actually think its a horrible place - the animals look so bored and have no room. Its also about a 40 minute drive from the city.

http://www.koalaparksanctuary.com.au/

Have a look at www.featherdale.com.au for your koala encounter.

Do be aware that there has been a very successful campaign limiting contact with koalas because despite their dopey appearance, they get quite stressed when people play "pass the parcel" with them.

Taronga Zoo on Sydney Harbour is a terrific experience - you need a minimum of around four hours to make it worth your while. They have a particularly good Australian animal displays including the platypus tanks.

Back from Dec07 NZ/AU cruise. Saw both Featherdale outside Sydney and Healesville near Melbourne. Can't tell you it is the norm but sleeping koalas only during midday at Healesville (not even a twitch!), while Featherdale had very active koala eating and being handled around noon. Also had several other koala who were moving and certainly not asleep. Given a choice for sanctuaries, our family vote goes to Featherdale but both were enjoyable.

Thank you all! Can someone tell me if Featherdale is near Koala Park Sanctuary? Right now, have decided Featherdale is small but worth the while to make the trip out. Hoping Koala Park is in close proximity to Featherdale. Thinking renting a car for the day in Sydney is probably the best way to go - three short days in Sydney, not sure of how the jet lag will be :(

Also have Healesville on the itinerary in Melbourne - at this point am hoping I can get a guide on the pier to take 5 of us around comfortably for the day - going to pretty much do Jeanne's itinerary I think - hoping to get a quick tour of Melbourne as well. Pushing it - but again - so much to see and not enough time :D

Bonorong is also on the itinerary. Have elminated Orano from the itinerary based on timing and other more important things to do :cool:

wblevin,

If you leave for Healesville straight from the dock, you should be there just after 10am or even a bit before depending on what time you leave the port. From there you will be able to visit the Yarra Valley, have something to eat and then go via the Dandenongs back to the city arriving there around 3pm. The driver can then show you all the places of interest and even let you go for a walk before heading back to the ship. Remember, the dock is very close to the city, about a 15-20 minute drive in peak hour traffic, 5-8 minutes around the middle of the day. Enjoy.

Our koalas do sleep during the day due to the extreme hot weather we are having down here. Sydney doesn't get the extreme temps that we have over summer, therefore their koalas are probably more lively. The norm for a koala is to sleep during the day and go out at night. Remember, Healesville is not run for profit but for the safely and welfare of the animal so the koalas are in their natural habitat and are not for showing off and handling like at some of the wildlife places. Koalas are not normally held, they can really hurt if you are unlucky and get scratched. They look docile but they are to be treated with respect.

Jennie

wblevin,

Our koalas do sleep during the day due to the extreme hot weather we are having down here. Sydney doesn't get the extreme temps that we have over summer, therefore their koalas are probably more lively.

Jennie

And here I was thinking that Featherdale gave their koalas amphetamines;)

I take your point about the handling though. Thats why I don't like Koala Park very much. We used to live very close to it, so would often take visitors there. Plus one of my daughter's friends worked there part-time and didn't have very good things to say about it.

To the OP - if you're going to a wildlife sanctuary in one city I wouldn't bother doing it anywhere else as well. Its really a time management issue. Good luck driving around Sydney - I live here and avoid driving like the plague.

Jennie - Do you think I will have a problem getting a mini van tour from the dock? Would prefer not to drive this tour. I was also thinking of doing the Puffing Billy train one way - have the driver meet us at one of the stops further up - you think that is worth it? Interesting you said to do Healesville first - would have thought we do that on the way back, but you are definitely right - cooler morning, animals may be more active and also may avoid any cruise ship crowds. I know weather can turn very quickly (was 13 F here the other nite and we are now looking at 63ish tomorrow - go figure) but you mentioned a heat wave - how hot is hot?

Mochuck - can you give me an idea how far Featherdale is from the Koala Park? Traffic isn't too much of a problem for us - we live 25 minutes from New York City, so I drive in there all the time - not too many places worse than that, although, the other side of the road may be more of a challenge :eek: I would like to devote one day entirely to the animals of Australia. For me, I have dreamed of getting up close and personal to a koala for years - this will be a highlight of my life - like swimming with the dolphins. Have a pic of my dad from the 80s holding a koala (think it was from kangaroo island) - would love my own pic - but I guess the best I will get will be petting one - which is fine, I do totally respect and favor the animal rights laws :o particularly after visiting a zoo in China (early 90s) to see the pandas, was appalled to see a little Pekinese dog in a small cement cage with nothing but a bowl of water - OMG!

Anyway - thank you both so much for your help!

We found the best location to get close to the Koala was the Featherdale Zoo. Also in Melbourne we went on the Gold Rush and Wildlife tour and there the Zoo guide carried one around and you could get right close to it. They did allow you to hold them, that was Nov/Dec. of 2006 though.

Boards - was that the Healesville zoo or yet another one? So disappointed we don't have enough time to go out to the Phillip Island Penguin parade - I understand they also have a nice koala sanctuary out there. Guess that will be the next visit that will take in much more of Australia!

We found the best location to get close to the Koala was the Featherdale Zoo. Also in Melbourne we went on the Gold Rush and Wildlife tour and there the Zoo guide carried one around and you could get right close to it. They did allow you to hold them, that was Nov/Dec. of 2006 though.

GREAT_GREAT!!!! we have this in the morning on 19th before our Blue Mts--(sounds like I made the right choice here) I am hoping to at least get my face & Koala's in the same picture..:D down to single days now before we leave!!! WHOPPIE!!!!

Jennie - Do you think I will have a problem getting a mini van tour from the dock? Would prefer not to drive this tour. I was also thinking of doing the Puffing Billy train one way - have the driver meet us at one of the stops further up - you think that is worth it? Interesting you said to do Healesville first - would have thought we do that on the way back, but you are definitely right - cooler morning, animals may be more active and also may avoid any cruise ship crowds. I know weather can turn very quickly (was 13 F here the other nite and we are now looking at 63ish tomorrow - go figure) but you mentioned a heat wave - how hot is hot? !

I would try and arrange a mini van or limousine before you leave home. I am not sure if there are any waiting at the dock as cars are not allowed to wait there. The Port authorities are very strict here in Melbourne. I will post some links and hopefully they may help.

http://www.viator.com/Melbourne/d384/yarra-valley-wine-tours

http://www.1300pickup.com.au/

http://www.chauffeursdirectory.com/melbourne_bus.html

If you do Puffing Billy, I would definitely ask the driver to drop you off either in Belgrave where it commences or in Emerald where it finishes. One way is enough. There are no stops in between.

I don't know which month you are coming but at the moment we are having temperatures in the high 30's -40C. That is over 100F and it is extremely hot. Today is cooler and will be about 24C which is ideal for sightseeing being just on 80F but it is going to warm up again and by Wednesday it is going to be 33C. Usually February is hotter but this year January seems to be the hot month. I cannot imagine it will be any hotter than this in Feb. We do have dry heat though and it is not sticky and humid.

I suggested you go to Healesville first for two reasons. One is that it will be the coolest time of the day and therefore the animals will be out and about and secondly it is the furtherest distance from the ship and that means that each place you visit after that is closer to the Port and that you have less chance of missing the ship if anything goes wrong.

Jennie

You should probably be alright driving. Make sure you get a car with a GPS though. Its OK once you get out of the city itself. Where are you planning on staying in Sydney?

Featherdale is about 22km (approx 14 miles) from Koala Park. I did a get directions search (attached below) which says it should take about 20 mins. Those searches never allow for traffic, so I think it would be more like 30 to 40 minutes.

http://www.whereis.com/whereis/getDirections.do?nref=homeDir

Just as aside here - we did our 'animal time' in Tasmania and I was really surprised at how coarse a koala's hair was )and how strong the eucalyptus smell - a 'duh' moment) and how soft a tasmanian devil was. We were allowed to pet one because it was young and the keeper was its mum *his words*. Then he put it down and fed it - yup, not getting close to them now. Also got 'mugged' by a wallaby (had some feed in my pocket and he...(she?) just about crawl into it to get the grain. Loved my time with the animals and so will you. It was and still is a highlight of our time there.

Charlie

Ohhh Charlie - was that at the Bonorong Zoo? That is on our schedule too! Please let me know. That sounds like the perfect place to go!

Mochuck - seems that that site has an expiration timeout - and I am not sure what territory each of the directions you put in was. But - knowing it is only about 22 km away, it certainly should be doable in the same day. Thanks for your help! Now thinking we probably will do better with a cab or driver for the day.

We are staying at the Marriott on Hyde Park - arriving Saturday 1/19 8am.

Jennie - thank you so much for the melbourne tour suggestions. I have had several discussions now with 1300 pick up - he has a car and says he will go whereever we want for the day, but wants me to plan from place to place - except I am confused with the directions and distances. I know my itinerary is doable, as Viator (your first suggestion actually) does the tour, but cannot guarantee we will be back to the ship by sailing time :eek: Haven't heard back from chauffers yet, and hoping that we will be able to work out a schedule with 1300 - thank you sooooooo much! If you are ever in the New York City area, please contact me - would be happy to help you with any and all planning around here!

Jennie - If you are ever in the New York City area, please contact me - would be happy to help you with any and all planning around here!

We love your city. We had the best time there back in July, 2005. We were there for a week and I wished it had of been two weeks. We walked and walked, used the subway and just had a wonderful time. It is such an exciting place to be even though we were there the day after the London subway was bombed.

We particularly enjoyed Ellis Island, so full of history. We would love to return one day but there is so much to see in this world, we may not get there in a hurry.

Jennie

No, actually I think it was the Tasmanian Devil Park. It's near Port Arthur on the Arthur Highway. I'm sure the zoo will also offer the opportunity to get up close and personal with a devil.

Charlie - I did a search and now have added the Tasmanian Devil Park onto my day's itinerary - yikes - too much to do and not enough time. But I did not see from their site that they have wombats and koalas. It was actually very interesting reading about the cancer that appears to be wiping out these poor little guys! I did come across another zoo the Trowunna that sounded wonderful, but is way too far away - could that have been the zoo you were thinking of? In either case, this does sound very good, although I gather it is under some major renovations as we speak.

Don't miss the Taronga Zoo it was really beautiful and there are plenty of Kaola's there. The best part of visiting the Zoo is the fact you just jump on a ferry at Circular Quay and get a great view of the city and opera house from the harbour. When you get off the ferry walk to the bottom of the cable car which is near the ferry dock and take the trip over the zoo to the entrance rather than taking the shutlle bus to the zoo entrance.

The Darling Harbour Aquarium is also worth seeing, there is a good underwater viewing area where you can the sharks up close. They also have a great barrier reef exhibit with tropical fish and a great place to see Platypus.

* I did come across another zoo the Trowunna that sounded wonderful, but is way too far away - could that have been the zoo you were thinking of? In either case, this does sound very good, although I gather it is under some major renovations as we speak.*

Gosh it might have been. Our cruise was seven years ago and I'd have to find my documentation. I do know it was a refuge and it was being updated while we were there, but like I said many years ago. My note taking wasn't as exact a science as it is now. The problems is remembering where I put everything!

Here's hoping that you have a wonderful time visiting with our furry buddies Down Under. The trip made me a cofirmed devil fan!

Charlie

Archived