New Orleans as a port of call?

DarthGrady

When we went on Sensation in 1999 out of Tampa, she went to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and New Orleans on a seven day run. That was an awesome itinerary, and we had a great time, espescially in New Orleans.

I haven't seen New Orleans as a port of call in a long time. I know the Fantasy leaves out of there, but I would rather cruise there from Florida. We had a great time, and I want to go back. Does anyone know if Carnival will ever start offering cruises to New Orleans again? I figured they just stopped because of Katrina.

Since Katrina, New Orleans has a lot of unresolved issues. Some of these include elevated crime, infrastructure and a general perception that the city isn't safe for tourism. Much of the city affected by Katrina remains in the same condition as it was just after the storm. Progress is being made, but it is very slow.

Not sure you want to go to NO any time soon. We were there in January '07. The city has a long way to go. My guess is it would not be the NO you remember. It certainly wasn't for me. :(

When we were there last, they were still short on staff. How many times have you seen a Hard Rock Cafe empty of staff and people? On a weekend?

Not sure you want to go to NO any time soon. We were there in January '07. The city has a long way to go. My guess is it would not be the NO you remember. It certainly wasn't for me. :(

When we were there last, they were still short on staff. How many times have you seen a Hard Rock Cafe empty of staff and people? On a weekend?

Been there lately?;)

We were there yesterday and spend a great amount of our free time there. New Orleans is back better and cleaner than ever. The "crime" reported in association with the NYE festivities involved a bar fight outside the French Quarter and little else. There were thousands upon thousands of people there for New Years and the Sugar Bowl. Next weekend there will be a huge crowd there for the BCS championship game. Soon after, the 2008 Mardi Gras season begins which will bring in an estimated 900,000-1,000,000 visitors. New Orleans can handle crowds like no other place in the country and there is always a very large and visible law-enforcement presence. Some businesses are still under-staffed but get better by the week.We rode the streetcars down St. Charles and wandered all over the Garden District, French Quarter and CBD with no problems. Yes, there are still areas that are damaged or destroyed but unless you go there for a specific reason such as a tour, you will never see them. The majority of the crime that is reported is in areas that were crime-ridden before Katrina and involve drugs. The national media, imo, is to blame for the perception that New Orleans is not ready for prime-time.:rolleyes:

FYI, our balcony was actually across the street from the Hard Rock and it was packed.

Selucrey, We were in NO a year prior to Katrina for our first visit. We

stayed in a bed and breakfast called The House of the Rising Sun across

the river from Harrahs ( near a Madi Gras mask/costume? storage bldg I

beleive). Stayed in NO 3 days and then toured your state for another 3.

Waiting for Carnival to start another 7 day cruise from there and We Will

Be Back.:)

Been there lately?;)

We were there yesterday and spend a great amount of our free time there. New Orleans is back better and cleaner than ever. The "crime" reported in association with the NYE festivities involved a bar fight outside the French Quarter and little else. There were thousands upon thousands of people there for New Years and the Sugar Bowl. Next weekend there will be a huge crowd there for the BCS championship game. Soon after, the 2008 Mardi Gras season begins which will bring in an estimated 900,000-1,000,000 visitors. New Orleans can handle crowds like no other place in the country and there is always a very large and visible law-enforcement presence. Some businesses are still under-staffed but get better by the week.We rode the streetcars down St. Charles and wandered all over the Garden District, French Quarter and CBD with no problems. Yes, there are still areas that are damaged or destroyed but unless you go there for a specific reason such as a tour, you will never see them. The majority of the crime that is reported is in areas that were crime-ridden before Katrina and involve drugs. The national media, imo, is to blame for the perception that New Orleans is not ready for prime-time.:rolleyes:

FYI, our balcony was actually across the street from the Hard Rock and it was packed.

I agree with "selucrey"....we were there a few weeks ago and the downtown and French Quarter are up and running. Most of the "tourist" spots are alive and well and we walked freely throughout without any concern of our safety. One of the interesting tours we took was a bus ride through the Katrina area...which we actually found very informative. Its a shame that the city is so slow to recover but when you see it first hand you can really apprecaite the issues the residents faced. It was a Gray Line tour and was very tastefully done (much to my surprise!). But I think the city could use our support and is ready for some tourists....just my opinion.

Mayor Nagin says he wants to keep New Orleans "A chocolate city."

I will respect his wishes and not go to New Orleans. :D

There are plenty of other places to go where I am welcome.

I agree that Ray Nagin is about as worthless as,,,,,well, I can't say it on CC. But thats not gonna stop me from going back to that great city should it ever be a port option again. I don't think his sentiments are those of the NO residents. I found everyone there to be mostly friendly and accepting of tourists. I'm not gonna drive 10 hours to visit just yet, but I'll certainly let Carnival sail me there.

Sad to see there is still so much ignorance out there. Unless you are a gang banger looking for trouble, you will be unlikely to find any.

New Orleans is still a great city. More restaurants are open now than before Katrina. There is no better food on the planet. The people are genuinely friendly.

The new media has done a real disservice to New Orleans.

New Orleans has never done anything very quickly, but it does move. The French Quarter and other tourist areas are fine (and safe) and the residential areas will recover (including the 9th ward).

The first cruise ship stopped in New Orleans New Years Eve 2005 - just 4 months after Katrina and a number of others (mostly P&O but also Cunard) have stopped there.

A second cruise port is being built which may help attract cruise lines adding New Orleans as a port of call.

NCL Spirit is home ported in New Orleans part of the year. There are some river cruises that include New Orleans:

http://www.majesticamericaline.com/

http://www.riverbarge.com/

I agree that Ray Nagin is about as worthless as,,,,,well, I can't say it on CC. But thats not gonna stop me from going back to that great city should it ever be a port option again. I don't think his sentiments are those of the NO residents. I found everyone there to be mostly friendly and accepting of tourists. I'm not gonna drive 10 hours to visit just yet, but I'll certainly let Carnival sail me there.

The residents of NO re-elected him.

Sad to see there is still so much ignorance out there. Unless you are a gang banger looking for trouble, you will be unlikely to find any.

New Orleans is still a great city. More restaurants are open now than before Katrina. There is no better food on the planet. The people are genuinely friendly.

The new media has done a real disservice to New Orleans.

New Orleans has never done anything very quickly, but it does move. The French Quarter and other tourist areas are fine (and safe) and the residential areas will recover (including the 9th ward).

The first cruise ship stopped in New Orleans New Years Eve 2005 - just 4 months after Katrina and a number of others (mostly P&O but also Cunard) have stopped there.

A second cruise port is being built which may help attract cruise lines adding New Orleans as a port of call.

NCL Spirit is home ported in New Orleans part of the year. There are some river cruises that include New Orleans:

http://www.majesticamericaline.com/

http://www.riverbarge.com/

Nola, Is the riverwalk mall still there at the cruise pier?

Its my money honey.

I heard those words come out of the mayors mouth.

I have a choice where I spend my money.

If you dont like it too bad.

I will not tolerate racism in ANY FORM.

So you will punish a whole city for one guys words??

I'm sure there is a lot of other people who talk about other races in every city.. Are you going to stop going everywhere?

So you will punish a whole city for one guys words??

I'm sure there is a lot of other people who talk about other races in every city.. Are you going to stop going everywhere?

You are damn right I will.

The mayor made that comment before election time.

The people of NO chose to elect a racist.

So obviously they feel the same way.

If the mayor was white and said he wanted to keep NO white I would feel the same way.

My tax dollars are going toward some rebuilding efforts, thats enough for me.

I WILL NOT TOLERATE RACISM. GET IT?

And yes I will not go anywhere else I am not wanted.

I am gay. I am not going to step foot in Jamaica or any other place that tolerates the murder of homosexuals either.

MY MONEY! MY CHOICE!

BOYCOTTING WORKS!

Read up on some history and you might find that out.

The mayor is well known for speaking without thinking. Kind of like George W.

Most people know better than to judge a city based on words out of ignorant mayor. Or poster.

And most people wouldnt be so ignorant as to elect a man to represent their city who has such tounge.

Talk about ignorant.

Archived