WDW first then down to Miami

Plibster

Hi, we are going to Disney World for 3 days before our LOS cruise in May. Our cruise starts on Saturday, so we are planning to drive down to Miami early that morning. How long of a drive is it? I want to be on the ship by 12:30-1:00. Has anyone else done this? Thanks!

From Disney to Miami is supposed to take just under 4 hours, but if there is an accident it can take longer. You can take the Turnpike most of the way, and the traffic there can move really well.

One of the women I work with drove back from South Florida to our area (20 minutes south of Port Canaveral) this morning. She left at 6:30 and was in the office at 8:45 ... not too shabby!

I personally find it scary to drive in South Florida, but my DH has no problems with it. The traffic can be heavy.

Actual distance is about 250 miles. Obviously, any stops and traffic can cause the trip to be longer which is why I said 5-6 hours. You may do it between 4 and 5 hours but again depends on traffic, stops and what speed you travel at.

It took us 45 minutes to go about 5 miles from our Hotel in Miami this past January to the cruise ship terminal so that is something that is unpredictable. If you make it in lots less time that's wonderful.

Keith

I live in Orlando and frequently sail out of Miami. Take the turnpike and it shldn't take longer then 3 1/2 hours from Disney. Of course there is always a chance of bad traffic but that's anywhere. The hotel can direct you to our newest expressway, connecting to I-4 and then the turnpike. A lot of people save 25 bucks or so by taking I 95, which runs parallel to the turnpike but that is always backed up and can take much longer. We generally leave home around noon and arrive in planty of time! The crowds board early but after 3 you can just walk right up, check in, go make dinner reservations and then go unpack. We have great luck w/luggage delivery as well. We have often heard the earlybirds c/o not receiving their's until a later time. Happy sailing!:D

I drove Lauderdale to Orlando after our cruise last month. The scariest thing about the trip was the tolls.:eek: There's a big uproar in New York State about the Thruway Authority raising tolls 10%. If they raised them to those tolls in Florida, there'd be mobs burning the state capitol. The Pike also had about the highest speed limits I've run into...70 or 75 with people going a lot faster than that. Nothing scarier than a car moving at 90 mph with the driver looking through the steering wheel:D .

Archived