Confused about west coast

DBrogden

Having sailed (very straightforwardly) from Tampa, Miami, and Pt. Canaveral, I am somewhat confused about the Port of Los Angeles. Where is it? I see references to Long Beach, San Pedro, and LA. This will be our first Mexican Riveria cruise with RC, Mar 27, 2005 (Easter). We are flying into LAX around 8 pm on Friday night prior to the Saturday departure (coming from N. Carolina). Should I book a hotel at LAX and then take a taxi on Saturday to the port, or stay at a hotel closer to the port? I get the impression that this taxi ride could be costly, right?

Advice is greatly appreciated.

Deb

Deb,

I would buy the transfer from the cruise line from LAX to the Cruise Terminal (and back after the cruise). I would then get a hotel "near" LAX - most hotels around LAX have a free shuttle to and from LAX.

I would then, sometime on Saturday (depending what time your cruise leaves) take the shuttle back to LAX and meet the cruise line people (you can check with the cruise line people and see where to meet them).

The taxi ride would probably be a little on expensive side - the cruise line transfers would be a lot cheaper.

I hope this helps.

Tom

Someone mentioned a transportation co called "Super Shuttle", going from LAX to hotels at the cruise ports, San Pedro, and Long Beach.

We will be departing from San Pedro on a Hawaii RT. Our plans now, are to fly in a day early to LAX, take the shuttle to a hotel in San Pedro. Then, the day of embarkation we are at the port. The hotel that many recommend is the Sheraton.

I do not know the cost of the Super Shuttle, possibly someone can answer?

san pedro is where they leave or long beach for carnival . and prime shuttle are the cheapeast we found from lax 2 san pedro $ 30 us . we rent a car at budget in lax drop it in long beach and they will take us 2 the pier and we will be stay at the hyatt in long beach , got it on priceline for 52 a night good deal i think

we will be on the ncl star oct 12

good luck

Is Super Shuttle the same as Prime Shuttle? I went to the Prime Shuttle web site, and it seems they only deal in Seattle.

Super Shuttle does not give any pricing on their web page, anyone know how much they paid if they used their service to the port?

I checked prices for both shuttle services last week. This was for six people, so we got a price on a private van, no waiting for other people or having to drive across town to let someone else off first. This price was from the pier in San Pedro to LAX, opposite of what you want, but would probably be the same. PrimeTime was $63+15%, and Super was $60 with no mention of the 15%. I believe that the lady said it would be $17 per person, if less than six. The desk clerk at the Holiday Inn in downtown San Pedro said a taxi from LAX to the hotel would be about $50, and they recommended Prime Time shuttle.

That's good information. I also was checking around the web for limo service from LAX to San Pedro. It seems that $55++ was the going rate. I would prefer a private car type service, so will also check into limo services. Anyone with a recommendation?

In the past, we have taken all sorts of transportation services. Prefer the more private type, vs a van load of people with luggage etc. (nothing against the people, it's just the hassle of going to different places).

Think a lot of people do get confused about these LA area ports. San Pedro IS the Port of Los Angeles and a totally different port from Long Beach. This is addressed on several other threads. Although they are not far apart one would probably wish to book a hotel nearer their port of departure. We're leaving from San Pedro on The Diamond Princess on October 16th and opted to stay at The Sheraton San Pedro because the rates were good, they provide a breakfast, parking if you need it, and a free shuttle to the cruise port the following morning.

Super Shuttle is great in Seattle but don't know about LA. If you've booked a hotel, check with them. If they don't provide an airport shuttle (most no longer do) ask for their recommendation. Good luck!

Hi Grace,

I booked directly with the hotel and they gave me a King room on the Club floor (key access only to that floor), evening hors d's, morning breakfast (which probably means major carbs) and etc. for $109. Saw that JLA got similar accommodations for $79 (he didn't say if it was two doubles or king room) so I jumped on the website and its just the difference between week nights and weekend nights. Our cruise leaves Saturday morning, so I pay Friday night rates. They are not stupid.

Re bidding for hotels...not certain how much you save but you could give it a try. Priceline doesn't allow you to specify a hotel I don't believe, someone posted to another message board that Hotwire.com would allow you to specify a particular hotel. I don't know. Guess I can't be bothered with the stress associated with perhaps a $25 saving I might receive. So good luck! You're not with us on the P Diamond on October 16th by any chance????

Cheers, Holly

Hey Grace,

Did the Summit last April. Usually a Celebrity person myself, but the new Diamond Princess seduced us for a look see. Hate to admit to it, but I am a foodie and Summit had the best food of all the Celebrity ships we've been on. (Century, Galaxy, Millennium and Constellation) Be sure to book the fee-based dining room (Is it 'Oceans' on Summit?). That was positively superb! Have a great time.

Cheers, Holly

Archived