Arts & Crafts Classes On Board

I've been to some of the scrapbook classes. Other than going for the diecuts, it was pretty pitiful.

During husband's nap one day I went to one where we made little tealight holders out of round cross-cuts of wood pieces and shells. It was pretty much like camp crafts when I was a kid. I wouldn't have taken the finished product home and given it to anyone. But had I been doing it with a child, it would have made a terrific memory and I would have taken it home and used it proudly. As it was, it was a nice relaxing way to sit and enjoy the company of others.

My husband actually participated in one that was taking place in a venue that he wanted to do the next activity in. Similar to the scrapbook classes we made cards. Ours looked kind of like we had made them at camp again. But the gal across from us, using the same supplies we were, made some that looked absolutely fabulous. I guess it really depends on what talents you bring into it with you.

Although it was hardly a teaching class, I went to it twice, and got some very good items for my daughter who is an avid scrapbooker. We had time to make many punches of various symbols and they gave out cruise themed items- like ship, words, etc. It was a fun break since we also discussed the use of the equipment with others that are scrapbookers.

In past cruises, I have attended the napkin folding class- where one of my friends got ideas for her daughter's wedding reception!

Looks like the responders are all from Delmarva so far! I am dreaming of warmer weather with this 20 degree weather today.

I have attended painting classes which were very good, napkin folding classes, scrapbook classes, towel folding classes, cooking classes, and lots of others including mask making. It was fun at the time, but not a lot learned.

I've gone to classes and learned to make gift bags so I've used that pattern for making all sizes of bags to hold gifts - very useful. I learned to make origami gift boxes which are nice for decorating to hold your cruise treasures like seashells, etc. Some of the other things we did were bookmarks and cards which made a nice addition to my cruise scrapbook. We had a great teacher on Empress last October. She and her husband made the craft classes a lot of fun. The scrapbooking is the same things on most of the ships but again, it makes a special page for the scrapbook for each cruise.

I will be on the Jewel of the Seas in March. Does anyone know what kinds of classes are held there? I am an avid crafter - even a simple presentation/class can be a begining place for a great craft project. I do craft shows throughout the year, and am always looking for ideas that I can adapt and make my own. Thanks.

I attended a few classes on the Jewel. They were probably excellent if you happened to be in pre-school. We made a tassel, glued 3 puzzle pieces together for a pin or magnet, strung buttons to make a necklace, etc.

On Freedom OTS, on a C&A member's cruise, we had a bead-stringing class that was really good. They had a wide selection of quality beads (not sterling, but some good natural stones and shells) to choose from. The class signup sheet filled up very fast; I barely got a space, and I signed up the day of boarding.

I really enjoyed it; it was fun seeing what everyone came up with, and I still wear the necklace I made.

I imagine, though, that this was a special class only available on a member's cruise; haven't seen anything like it on any other ship.

Jan

Archived