southampton

sannibop

Having had a load of experience with them, If you're flying with flymaybe, I would really suggest going the morning of the day before, at least that way they can transfer you onto a later flight, or a flight the next day :)

That was exactly our thoughts too.

Eddie

• 2 weeks later...
Hi I am trying to work out what's the best way to travel from scotland, to meet our cruise in southampton, could anyone tell me how far southampton airport is from the port.

thanks in advance

Hi

we are travelling down to Southampton from Manchester in November,plan a was to use the train,but it will work out too expensive and nerve racking.We did this once before,and when we arrived at Piccadilly for our train we were told is was cancelled we then had to change trains three times and had one eye on the clock incase the ship sailed without us.The return journey took a spectacular 15hours from Southampton to Manchester involving,floods,buses,football matches, standing from Oxford to Birmingham then a stopping train to Stockport.

Plan B is the eastway bus,they look comfortable enough and according to their web site are the official Man U carriers.Although it will be a £15.00 taxi ride to their pick up point,I imagine there will be plenty of stops at some of the U.K's wonderful motorway service stations!But hey! we're going on our cruise time to chill.

Ben,

We have used Evesway many times and found them to be very very good.

Much better than the train in our opinion and much more relaxing.

Yes the last time we used them they had the official ManU Bus and it was great.

Ben,

We have used Evesway many times and found them to be very very good.

Much better than the train in our opinion and much more relaxing.

Yes the last time we used them they had the official ManU Bus and it was great.

We are going on the Ventura transatlantic in October and flying back into East Midlands. We have been thinking to using Evesway and its interesting to hear your experience of them. Getting to the Trowell motorway service area to pick up the coach could be interesting, I will be really worried about missing the coach. Shoud we go down the day before or can they be relied upon?

Derek,

Strange thing to say, why not travel via Narrow boat!!! I think the point is flying is faster and it allows them to join the ship at the point of embarkation ie. Southampton. Many people I know that live in Scotland, fly to Southampton or London to meet ships leaving from Southampton or Dover.

I take it you think that everyone living outside the UK to join a ship at Southampton should drive or use a train!!!

Why are you picking on Derek I dont think their is anything wrong with his helpful suggestion. I live in Scotland and I will be going on a cruise from Southhampton and I will be travel by train and coming down the night before and staying over night which believe it or not for me its a lot easier and cheaper than going by plane. Which might be faster but faster is not always the best way to go unfortunately.

Oh and why are you talking about living outside the UK when Derek is talking about travelling from Scotland the last time I heard we were still part of the United Kingdom unless no one told me about us being Granted independence from it

We are going on the Ventura transatlantic in October and flying back into East Midlands. We have been thinking to using Evesway and its interesting to hear your experience of them. Getting to the Trowell motorway service area to pick up the coach could be interesting, I will be really worried about missing the coach. Shoud we go down the day before or can they be relied upon?

The coaches can be relied upon because they are in touch with the port and if they are late the ship nows this and will wait. No need to go down the day before if you use the P & O Evesway coaches.

Hi all,

Last year we took the coach from Glasgow to Southampton (Eaveway Travel ... I believe, as mentioned earlier). Great company, excellent staff - a little 'pricey' for a coach journey considering some prices for airfares you can grab on the ole' t'internet these days. Although the time on the coach wassn't an issue, you are somewhat restricted, because your with a group.

This year we're hiring a car in Scotland (leaving at the same time the coach would) and just driving down ourselves. I never realised hire companies done this, but you can hire a car in your hometown and drop it off at your destination, with absolutely 'hee-haw' to worry about, which I thought is pretty neat.

Having done Manchester to Southampton (5 hours) 4 times

Manchester to Harwich( 6 hours) 3 times Manchester to Dover/Gatwick ( 7 hours) 3 times Manchester to Greenock ( interminable)via bus once ( returned to Liverpool) the split drive routine sounds the best idea.

Driving to Southampton can be stressful, the beloved always prefers an early( 0600 hours) start to ensure no hold ups. From Glasgow down the M6 through Birmingham could be a nightmare during the day. Besides an overnight stop near , say Stratford on Avon, would be interesting.

I'am using Eavesway Travel for my cruise on Ventura this june. Unless it's a flycruise where by you have to join the ship abroad, i wouldn't fly for a cruise departing anywhere with-in th UK.

To decide to go on a cruise is to be relaxed, but having to use any airport is an exercise in total stress. Flying wether short or long haul has become an event ion a par with having your teeth drilled.

Mark :D

I'am using Eavesway Travel for my cruise on Ventura this june. Unless it's a flycruise where by you have to join the ship abroad, i wouldn't fly for a cruise departing anywhere with-in th UK.

To decide to go on a cruise is to be relaxed, but having to use any airport is an exercise in total stress. Flying wether short or long haul, has become an event on a par with having your teeth drilled.

Mark :D

With regard to the fascinating array of advice above, my question is probably pretty simple. We're arriving Southampton and I've booked a hotel in Portsmouth for that night. I'd originally thought of taking the train, but it strikes me that hiring a car will give me the option to see some sights on the way, such as Stonehenge, before checking in in the evening.

Now, my preferred rental agency says the Southampton location is "Dock Gate 8". I have no idea where this is in relation to where the Aurora will dock. Will I have to wheel my baggage several kilometres, with my darling wife whining at my side? Take a taxi? Are buses or helicopters available?

Pete, in the dark

Now, my preferred rental agency says the Southampton location is "Dock Gate 8". I have no idea where this is in relation to where the Aurora will dock. Will I have to wheel my baggage several kilometres, with my darling wife whining at my side? Take a taxi? Are buses or helicopters available?
Do you know where Aurora will dock? This is the first thing you need to find out.

If she's in the Western Docks, that's where Dock Gate 8 is - see this page, this PDF file (re Dock Gate 8) and this PDF file (re Dock Gate 10).

You could always drop off your darling wife and the luggage at the terminal and then drive back to the car rental location on your own. That would mean just a short walk for one person.

But if Aurora is docking in the Eastern Docks that day, then it's a fair way away - see this PDF file (re Dock Gate 4). You might want to contact the car rental location to see whether they would take the car off you at the terminal instead of you having to go to the location itself - that would be the most elegant solution. Or they may have a shuttle bus in which they could give you a lift to the terminal from the location.

Pete, in the dark

P&O always berth at the Mayflower Terminal, berth 106, unless there are two P&O ships in on the same day, when one will dock at the QE2 terminal. Gate 8 is some distance from the terminal but I am sure the hire company will have some way of ferrying you to the terminal. This overall port map may help

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/files/pos.pdf

This link will tell which ship is berthed where once it is updated in early Feb with cruise ship schedules. It also links to more detailed maps

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/cruise_ship.asp

Brian

Car Hire:

Check with the company. Certainly drive to the ship as your luggae will be taken straight from the car to sceurity to your cabin. Then when you drop the car off they may then be able to drive you back to the ship.

Travel:

The old adage is 'time to spare, go by air'.

Going to London or Dover against a timetable is fraught with trouble. We allowed 2 hours extra and arrived one hour after our target time (still time in hand)at Dover. All you need is the M25 and that is that.

Flying in to LHR several passengers for Dover made it by the skin of their teeth, some by taxi from LHR because of poor Cruise/TA advice.

The A34 to Soton has its moments. Our first time we B&Bd in Portsmouth.

Pax flying in from Belfast were on a Cunard organised transfer. The ship was in touch with the travellers who arrived one hour after the svcheduled departure time - made the sail away a bit chilly.

If you can afford the time you MUST get within striking distance of the ship the night before departure.

Hotels:

We booked a post-flight overnight at the Travel Lodge at Gatwick. It was a disaster. Hard to find (my fault) but undergoing renovation. No central heating in our room in JANUARY! and workmen hammering thepipes and setting up their tools at 7am. We had only got to bed at 3am. :mad:

Thanks for the advice. I guess I won't know until the day where the ship is actually docking. I'll see if I can get the hire company to meet us as we stagger off with our bags, or at least provide information on how to get to their depot, so we can collect our car.

I guess I won't know until the day where the ship is actually docking.
You should find out sooner than that. At the latest, this should come with your cruise tickets or pre-departure information. But you may well be able to get the information earlier than that from the port's website.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I won't know until the day where the ship is actually docking. I'll see if I can get the hire company to meet us as we stagger off with our bags, or at least provide information on how to get to their depot, so we can collect our car.

The port schedule for the year is now published, so if you are arriving on Aurora on 28 March, you will be docking on berth 106, which is the Mayflower terminal

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/cruise_ship.asp

Brian

After checking the port schedule, I have discovered the our Oceana cruise is leaving from the QE2 Terminal and returning to the City Cruise Terminal. Just wondering if the car parks have transport between terminals. We have never driven to the port before so havn't a clue.

After checking the port schedule, I have discovered the our Oceana cruise is leaving from the QE2 Terminal and returning to the City Cruise Terminal. Just wondering if the car parks have transport between terminals. We have never driven to the port before so havn't a clue.

We were on Oceana on the same day as the Arcadia maiden voyage and thus we sailed from the QEII terminal and returned to the Mayflower terminal. Our car was at the Mayfower terminal when we returned.

When you arrive at the QEII terminal, you just drive in, as directed, to the drop off area, which is like a big shed. Someone will take your luggage off you and someone will take your car away and park it, (after giving you a receipt) so you then just walk into the check in with your hand baggage. Just make sure you have all your luggage labels on before you arrive. Your car will be waiting for you at whichever terminal you return to. Its a very well organised system and works very well. See this map on QEII terminal location

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/files/qeii.pdf

Brian

Hi Elaine,

Yes, this is one part of the system which works well. Wherever you leave from your car will be waiting at the terminal you return to.

Have a wonderful cruise on Oceana she is a lovely ship.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Having cruised from Southampton numerous times from the North-west(Manchester & Liverpool),I've tried most forms of transport.My Dad used to drive down in the day but it was an early start and usually gave him a migraine!We then used the train but there are so few direct trains now changing trains (sometimes twice) was too stressful with all the luggage and sometimes having to stand up.

Last year we flew with Flybe.With only being on a weeks' cruise we found the luggage allowance fine.Flybe were ok on the way but we were delayed on the way back by an hour.

However,that was much more relaxed I felt and we travelled the day before and had a pleasant stay in the Holiday Inn which is handy for the cruise terminals and the shopping arcade.It was nice to see something of Southampton and not to be panicking about delays when travelling on the day itself.It was also handy to be able to buy things we found we had forgotten which always seems to happen to us!

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived