Bummer...Waitlist?

bauermj

I'm kind of new at this and am wondering whats up...

I've been researching for a caribbean cruise in April. For the 4/19 Crown Princess sailing, there have been several different Balcony room rates BE, BD, BB, BA. Well today, it appears there are 0 balcony rooms. An online travel agent mentioned something about a waitlist. Whats up? Did they really sell out of balconies, especially when they had multiple types yesterday evening?

Thanks for the clarification! I was hoping this was the one :)

I checked on Princess.com and they are all showing as waitlisted now. There are 3 cabins left in the D category. They are Oceanview (no balcony) on the Plaza deck.

Cruises are filling up faster and faster now days. We've been booked for April 2009 for 2 months already.

Good luck!

I checked on Princess.com and they are all showing as waitlisted now. There are 3 cabins left in the D category. They are Oceanview (no balcony) on the Plaza deck.

Cruises are filling up faster and faster now days. We've been booked for April 2009 for 2 months already.

Good luck!

Well bummer, 1 day too late. We are going to consider the cruise 2 weeks prior with the same itinerary, or the weeks before & after with the less "cool" itinerary.

It's not enough to just check categories available, but when wanting to know what's remaining, you should also check the number of cabins SHOWING in each category.

I'm betting in your case at least the BE and BD were Guarantee only, and likely only a cabin or two in BB and BA. It's easy for a couple cabins to disappear in a day, and when those specific cabins are gone, so too go the Guarantees in the lower categories.

However, it's before final payment, so I'd go ahead and waitlist. Chances are good a balcony will open up in the next couple weeks.

Well, I'm wondering if they are really sold out of balcony cabins. Or maybe the passed a threshold and will release more at a different price point or point in time.
I would guess that they really are sold out. Many cruises sell out not only a year in advance -- but even earlier. Have a TA check availability and pricing for you. That'll be more accurate than a website.

If they say they are waitlisted, they mean it. They overbook every cruise, knowing that there are going to be cancellations and some TA's may have a couple in group space, but you would have to know who they are to get them, and Yield Management ain't gonna tell you, trust me (they won't even tell res agents). You have to book early to ensure that you get what you want (I never book less than 13-16 months out).

Archived