Have you ever...

pantherstud

I'm fresh off of the Ecstasy's 12/29 sailing, which stops at Cozumel and Progresso. Our ship was able to stop at Cozumel, but at Progresso, we didn't dock because the weather was "going to" get bad later on. A cold front with strong waves was supposed to come in at around 1:00 PM that afternoon. We docked at 7:30 and were going to leave by 3:30. I don't really see what the difference a couple of hours was going to make. The funny thing was when the capitan made the announcement, it was sunny and warm :rolleyes: . Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience because weather was "going to" get worse.

With a cold front comes wind. A couple hours worth of strong winds creates huges swells. It could have been difficult, if not impossible, for the ship to get away from the pier.

I doubt that the Captain just tossed a coin and elected to skip Progreso. Decisions like that have many implications.

The waters off of the north coast of the Yucatan peninsula are very shallow. That is why the pier extends over five miles from shore. Even at that distance the channel is narrow. High winds or strong currents pose a threat to shipping.

I noticed that y'all didn't dock in Progreso. I was assuming weather.

It does happen. Seems I recall Ecstasy getting stuck there not that long ago due to winds. Add Costa Maya to the list of ports that wind can effect docking. Of course no problems there now.

BTW-the other ship scheduled that day didn't dock either so it was a bigger decision than the Ecstasy Cap't.

There's no doubt in my mind that the Capitan made the right decision not to port at Progresso, but again, it's always kind of a bummer when you have to skip a port due to weather. I was just wondering if anybody else had a similar experience. Now I'm sitting here thinking that I could've taken a 3 night cruise with 1 port instead of a 5 night cruise with 1 port for a lot less money. Oh well, I guess hindsight is 20/20.

On our first cruise ever -Oceanic, 24 yrs ago- we were in Bermuda on Horshoe Bay Beach with our best friends- both couples celebrating our 1 year wedding anniversary. Our ship wasn't supposed to leave for a few more hours. We heard the ship's horn blasting around 5x. Didn't know what it meant. One of the guys walking the beach came over to us and said "I saw your towels (the ship's very distinct stripped ones) You'd better get back RIGHT NOW - the ship is leaving!!":eek: Well, we literally RAN back to the ship and made it as they were pulling up the gangplank. Found out they had changed the ship's departure from Bermuda due to a fast-approaching hurricane. (It was June) They made the decision to leave about 2 hours AFTER we had left the ship to explore the island. We still talk about our close "miss" to this day - we were young then, and would have absolutely panicked if we had missed the ship. (heck - I'm older now, and would STILL absolutely panic if I missed the ship - lol) So yes, they do change port times due to weather for the safety of their guests.

Archived