Alaska Land Tour Suggestions? - Pre Cruise

tcnjkid

My wife and I will be taking a cruise out of Seward, AK on Sunday, 8/31. The cruise leaves Seward at 8pm, but I think check in starts at 1:30pm.

We will be flying into Anchorage on Wednesday, 8/27 and arriving at 1pm.

We definitely would like to visit Denali. How do you think we should plan our days?

I was thinking of renting a car driving to Denali after we get into ANC on 8/27. Spending entire day on 8/28 at Denali and taking the shuttle bus to Wonder Lake. Spend the morning of Friday, 8/29 at Denali near the Visitor Center, and then driving back to Anchorage Friday afternoon/evening and dropping off rental car.

Take the train to Seward, Saturday morning on 8/30, and if the weather is good, take a 11:30 Kenai Fjord cruise, otherwise spend the day in Seward and then try to take the 8am Kenai Fjord cruise on Sunday before heading to the cruise ship.

Any suggestions or modifications? Any lodging suggestions?

Thanks!

I don't know where you live, but driving to Denali after arriving in Anchorage makes for a very tiring day. I would probably spend Wednesday night in Anchorage, or drive no farther than Talkeetna. Then 2 nights near Denali, back to Anchorage Saturday, then on Sunday take the train to Seward/Kenai Fjords cruise/board your ship at 5:30.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Last July I did what you want to do but I would not recommend it. I have been to Alaska several times before so stopping en route was not as big of a deal (it helped that it was raining since if it were nice weather and Mt. McKinley were viewable, I probably would have stopped anyway!). I didn't get to Denali until 9pm!

But you need to do some shopping for food in Anchorage or Wasilla since you get no food on the shuttle bus and anything near the park entrance is convenience store prices and hard to find anyway.

I wholeheartedly agree with NancyIL - spend the night that you arrive in Anchorage or perhaps Talkeetna, especially if you want to go flightseeing.

Then on Thursday get to Denali, see the sleddogs, visitor center, films and/or do some light hiking/walking near the park entrance (ranger-led hikes are great and easy near the park entrance).

Friday take the shuttle bus to Wonder Lake. That is a great time to go to Denali with the fall colors in full bloom.

Saturday perhaps do anything near the park entrance that you missed or get an early start back toward Anchorage, stopping at Hatcher Pass, Eagle River, Matsu Valley area, etc. Get to bed early and take the 6am or so train to Seward on Sunday. The Kenai Fjords tour operator will pick you up at the train station, hold your luggage and get you to the ship after the tour. Great use of your time before boarding.

If you really want to keep your schedule, you won't really have a choice of dates for the Kenai Fjords tour - if you don't cancel in advance you lose your entire payment. If the operator cnacels due to rough seas, then you get a refund. But just for rain or for what you consider bad weather, you won't get a refund.

John

I agree with the above. I would not spend 2 days in Seward with your short timeframe. Don't be in a rush to get on your ship and enjoy your full day in Seward. You really need the extra day in Denali park and unless you are flying in from Seattle, Los Angles etc and have a 3-4 nonstop flight, you are underestimating time and distance getting to Denali park, along with any time differences.

Use the time to see Anchorage if this is the case.

As for lodging, what are you looking for???

Thanks for the all great information. I think we'll definitely spend the extra time at Denali.

Any suggestions for budget to moderate hotels by Denali and for Anchorage after we drop off our rental car by the airport. We'll need to catch the train to Seward, early the next day.

Thanks.

Thanks for the all great information. I think we'll definitely spend the extra time at Denali.

Any suggestions for budget to moderate hotels by Denali and for Anchorage after we drop off our rental car by the airport. We'll need to catch the train to Seward, early the next day.

Thanks.

I have used McKinley Creekside Cabins in the past and they are reasonably priced near Denali (about 14 miles south of the park entrance). BQ has mentioned Denali Park Hotel as another budget option.

Re: Anchorage - do you really want a hotel near the airport if you are leaving by train to Seward the next morning? I would look at trying to drop the car off downtown if possible and if not, at least staying downtown. Extended Stay Deluxe is often offered on hotwire and priceline for a good price but you never know when it will be offered. Comfort Suites is right across from the train station but $$$$.

The Ramada on Muldoon offers shuttles to both the airport and depot. This is outside of downtown, but closer to the depot than the airport. They also have a laundry that is handy. :)

I stayed here two years ago and it was great. As BQ mentioned, the laundry was handy as well, for me, the free wireless internet. This hotel gets mixed reviews sometimes (everyone has their own experience/subjective opinion) but I would stay there again.

John

Archived