Motion Sickness Remedy for Toddlers

Kerry's Girls

Hi all -

We leave tomorrow out of L.A. and are having a bit of a storm, so I expect there to be more rocking & rolling the first night than we're used to. My girls have never had a problem with seasickness before, but I'm wondering if I should worry about it this time. I know that these things have to be given before the sickness sets in, and I hate to give them something if they're not going to need it. I'd love everyone's opinions and suggestions.

Thanks!

Best,

Mia

Since none actually say for toddlers I'd really recommend talking to your pediatrician for dosing. Sometimes Dr. Sears site has some information. My neighbor was going to give her 3 year old Bonine for children when they were cruising into the tropical storm in November but he was the only one who didn't get sick. As far as I know she didn't contact her pediatrician even though I told her to. She insisted the packaging said for 2 and over which I know it doesn't.

Since it's a chewable you could cut it in 1/2. You could also use benedryl. The issue is all these meds are really based on weight (even if they don't say so) and you really don't want to overdose your child while you are in the middle of the ocean.

Have a great cruise and I hope the seas aren't too rough.

Thanks - you're right of course, I have a call in to my pediatrician re: what to bring and how much to give, but I especially appreciate your note that your neighbor's child didn't get sick. I just know that others have also mentioned ginger, wrist bands, etc., which I never pay attention to because it's never an issue for us. I'd better get moving on a search of the boards.

Thanks!

Best,

Mia

Hi Mia,

How old are your girls? I was fortunate that my 4 year old son didn't have any motion sickness from our 11 day, sometimes rocky, cruise to Hawaii. So, this may not be an issue. Well, anyway, I am a pharmacist specializing in pediatrics and I wouldn't suggest using meclizine ( brand names:antivert, bonine, dramamine) in any children less than 12 years of age. I really wouldn't want to pre-medicate with benadryl for motion sickness. However, if by some chance it does occur the dose for benadryl in a 2 - 6 year old is 6.25 mg (2.5 ml = 1/2 teaspoon of 12.5 mg/5 ml solution) every 6 hours. An alcohol free, dye-free and sugar-free solution is available under the name of Benadryl Dye-Free Allergy or Genahist. Be aware that benadryl may have a paradoxical effect of causing hyperactivity and excitement.:p Have a great time on your cruise!!!:)

Hi Mia,

How old are your girls? I was fortunate that my 4 year old son didn't have any motion sickness from our 11 day, sometimes rocky, cruise to Hawaii. So, this may not be an issue. Well, anyway, I am a pharmacist specializing in pediatrics and I wouldn't suggest using meclizine ( brand names:antivert, bonine, dramamine) in any children less than 12 years of age. I really wouldn't want to pre-medicate with benadryl for motion sickness. However, if by some chance it does occur the dose for benadryl in a 2 - 6 year old is 6.25 mg (2.5 ml = 1/2 teaspoon of 12.5 mg/5 ml solution) every 6 hours. An alcohol free, dye-free and sugar-free solution is available under the name of Benadryl Dye-Free Allergy or Genahist. Be aware that benadryl may have a paradoxical effect of causing hyperactivity and excitement.:p Have a great time on your cruise!!!:)

I think, and I could be wrong, that the children's bonine has a different ingredient then the adult bonine which is recommended for children 12 and over. The children's bonine I believe is for 6 and over.

OK looked it up:

"Cyclizine Hydrochloride - Antiemetic

For Kids - The Product to Use at the Onset of Symptoms."

It is recommended for 6 years and up.

I have noticed that only some pharmacies sell the kids version of it.

It is nice of you to post the dosage of the benedryl because I think all moms worry about those really rough seas. I often wonder how my son would have been if the seas last month would have been like the seas we had in Dec 2006. Although in my case if he didn't get sea sick he would have been more black and blue then he got on the perfectly smooth seas we had.

My GP recommended infant Gravol suppositories for my son when he was 6 months old. Not a full suppository, just half. I will have to pull out the box and see what the dosing information is and decide what he will be able to take when he is on his cruise next month when he is 19 months.

Archived