Ensenada?

Hello, cannot find a port of call thread for Ensenada. Looking at a Hawaiian cruise on RCL, which goes out of there. Just wondering what air transportation would be an option? Going into San Diego? If so, what's the transfer like?

My info is a little old. We sailed into Ensenada in 2000. We disembarked before sunrise and boarded regular buses that took us accross the border to San Diego. At the border we had to get out of the buses and go through customs and then reboard the buses which took us to the airport. hope this helps, and hope this is still relevant.

The airport to use is San Diego. This is one time where RCCL transfers come highly recommended.

For questions on Ensenada, you can ask about what to do in Ensenada on the Mexican Riviera ports of call board. For departures/arrivals into or out of Ensenada, you might also ask questions on the West Coast Departures board.

What airlines serve Tijuana and Ensenada?:confused:

Last year when I was in Ensenada I was on a tour and the tour guide told as we passed a Mexican military base that this was the only airfield in the area. He also said Ensenada did not have any airlines that served teh area.

San Diego, Tijuana, and Ensenada airports are your options.

I should have quoted the original responder. Your response is not well thought out, because there are no airports in either Tijuana or Ensenada. This is a common question about the Hawaii cruises.

I was on a back to back from Galveston to Hawaii on the Rhapsody and our friends met us in Ensenada. They flew to San Deigo and did the RCCL transfer, be prepared, they said it was a nightmare from the time they got off of the plane until they arrived in Ensenada. Long lines to get on the bus and a terrible ride. But it's bearable...look what is waiting for in Ensenada!!! If you can fly Southwest, be sure and try for tickets there first, they had really good prices.

Tijuana actually does have an airport. It is right along the US-Mexico border. There is actually a proposal on the table to move San Diego International Airport down to the border, and that way they can share the runways with Tijuana International. The airport code for Tijuana is TIJ. The problem though is any flights from Tijuana are going to require you to make a connection through Mexico City to get back to the US. You'd spend more time flying and connecting than the bus ride from Ensenada to San Diego.

As to the RCCL transfers, yes there is a wait for the buses to board (like with transfers in any other port). And yes it can be a long ride, Ensenada is 70 miles and a border crossing (very busy and congested) south of San Diego. BUT, you can't get your own rental car and drive it (rental cars are not allowed to be driven into Mexico) and there aren't that many reliable private car services that will do the drive.

Archived