capilano suspension bridge/grouse mountain

lilli

My family of 5--2 teenagers, a grandma, and parents--will be in Vancouver for about 1 and a half days prior to a cruise on Serenade in July of 08. We are staying at Times Square Suites and arrive at noon on a Thursday. I would like to incorporate a trip to see the bridge and Grouse mountain into our stay but had a couple questions.

How much time do we need to see these areas? I had read somewhere about having dinner on Grouse Mountain and thought that heading over to that area on Friday afternoon might be good.

Also, what is the best way to get there? I read about taking the Seabus and then a bus, but I wanted to get a feel for how "labor intensive" that will be. My family is up for anything but my mom is in her 70's and not quite so active! Can you just take a taxi there or would that be crazy expensive? I don't think I want to do an organized tour there as they seem to leave at 1100 and may be more restrictive with their schedule.

We also plan to spend time in Stanley Park on Thursday and perhaps Gastown and Chinatown on the morning of Friday.

Thanks for any input! lilli

This the best afternoon/evening!

The capilano Suspension bridge is just down the road from Grouse Mountain sky ride so you can easily hit both attractions in the same afternoon

I would take a cab from downtown to the Bridge first....from the description you give of the family I think it would be best for everyone. Spend a couple of hours at the Bridge....Mom might have some trouble with the bridge itself....the ends are very steep and it does sway a little...but you can make that decision when you see it. In any event if she cannot navigate the bridge there is a lot of other interesting things to do in the park.

When you done there....walk across the street and get a public transit bus up the rest of the way to Grouse Mountain....it will stop just out side the lower station. Then ride the gondolo up the mountain and enjoy all it has to offer.

Your idea for dinner on the mountain is a good one....as I recall there are three pretty good restaurants up there as well as lots of things to see and do....including heliopter tours over the city and the mountains.

Whenever friends come to town that have never been here before we take them to the bridge and the mountain to WOW!!!! them.

Thanks for the info! I found the transit site and was looking at the trip with seabus and bus, etc.--It looks doable and my mom is pretty game for most stuff, but it may be easier to do the taxi.

I am sure my mom will not get on that bridge--she is afraid of heights and that would probably put her over the proverbial edge!

Any thoughts on the restaurants? it looks like if you have a reservation at the high end restaurant, ?observatory, you get complimentary lift tickets?

That may offset the higher prices in the restaurant?

Yes these 2 attaractions are definitely doable via public transit. My Dad who travels with us all the time would have no trouble doing this via bus to the Seabus terminal and then bus on the other side up Capilano Road to first the Capilano Bridge - check it out at http://www.capbridge.com

Allow yourself about 1.5 hours to enjoy the Capilano Bridge.

Then exit the bridge and cross the street to reboard the city bus to carry on your trip up to Grouse Mountain.

On Grouse Mountain there is lots to do and see from Grizzley Bears to Wolves - to carved wooden statues to a loggers show to a bird of prey show - 2 movies lots of trails for walking - as well as unending views. Allow yourself at least a half day for Grouse Mountain. Thus I would head out in the morning for Capilano and enjoy that then continue on to Grouse Mountain spending the balance of the day there. check it out at http://www.grousemountain.com

Yes I would go with the high end restaurant for dinner on top of the mountian before ending your day.

When you board the bus in the morning buy yourselves a day pass each for $9. - that allows you to ride all day on both the buses and the Seabus.

Hope this helped.

When

Yes a 3 year old can do the bridge - the sides are very high thus making it very safe. The 3 year old is probably likely to be less scared than Mom & Dad. Also they have lots of info set up for the younger set on the Forest life - you will find all this stuff on the far side of the bridge where the Tree Top Walk is. Kids also get a passport that they stamp at various stations as they walk thru the park.

My family of 5--2 teenagers, a grandma, and parents--will be in Vancouver for about 1 and a half days prior to a cruise on Serenade in July of 08. We are staying at Times Square Suites and arrive at noon on a Thursday. I would like to incorporate a trip to see the bridge and Grouse mountain into our stay but had a couple questions.

How much time do we need to see these areas? I had read somewhere about having dinner on Grouse Mountain and thought that heading over to that area on Friday afternoon might be good.

Also, what is the best way to get there? I read about taking the Seabus and then a bus, but I wanted to get a feel for how "labor intensive" that will be. My family is up for anything but my mom is in her 70's and not quite so active! Can you just take a taxi there or would that be crazy expensive? I don't think I want to do an organized tour there as they seem to leave at 1100 and may be more restrictive with their schedule.

We also plan to spend time in Stanley Park on Thursday and perhaps Gastown and Chinatown on the morning of Friday.

Thanks for any input! lilli

Public Transit. $3.75/ea (2 zones). It's fun for the adventure, something like Seabus is something you've probably never done before, and gives you a great view of the harbour. Plus, it's only takes 31 minutes. The Vancouver transit system is very very good, and completely integrated (your bus ticket is good on busses, seabus and the Skytrain elevated trains).

Example trip plan:

Depart: 9:46a - WATERFRONT STN SEABUS NORTHBOUND

On route: "SEABUS NORTHBOUND"

Arrive: 9:58a - LONSDALE QUAY

bus Transfer: 10:02a - LONSDALE QUAY BAY 8

On route: "236 GROUSE MOUNTAIN"

Arrive: 10:17a - NORTHBOUND CAPILANO RD AT SUSPENSION BRIDGE

We have rented a car. Is there parking at both places? If we left around 1030 in the am, how long before we would get back to Vancouver.

We only have one day there and are trying to decide what to do without stressing ourselves out. We will be staying in a hotel downtown somewhere.

Is there some kind of hop on hop off tourist bus?

Yes there is a hop on hop off tourist bus for the downtown area.

If you only have 1 day my top picks would be

1) Stanley Park (allow about 1 hour to drive around the park stopping at the view points for photos)

2) Capilano Suspension Bridge (allow yourselves about 1.5 hours here)

3) Grouse Mountain (allow yourselves a minimum of 4 hours here and you will probably spend way longer)

None of the above times include time for lunch or dinner - all the above attractions have food outlets. Capilano Suspension Bridge it is like quick food take out however both Grouse Mountain and Stanley Park have several different food outlets ranging from gourmet dinning to fast food.

If you are driving I would head norht on Georgia street and take the entrance into Stanley Park driving half way around the park then just before Prospect Point get back on Georgia Street and cross over the Lions Gate Bridge to North Vancouver. At the north end of the bridge (make sure you are in the right lane) take the very first exit off the bridge to your right. This will put you on Marine Drive headed east. Fo to the first set of traffic lights which will be Capilano Road and turn left. Now just follow Capilano Road until you come to the CApilaon Suspension Bridge. The parking lot will be on your right and you then walk accross Capilano Road to the Bridge. When you have finished enjoying your time at the bridge get back in your car and exit the parking lot back onto Capilano Road turning to your right and continue on up Capilano Road to the end wihich is the parking lot for Grouse Mountain Air Tram.

There are 2 other attractions which you will pass on your way up CApilano Road being 1 - the Cleveland DAm & 2 - the Capilano River Fish Hachery and Fish Ladder however if you only have the day I would skip both of these as you will not have time.

Then when you are headed back to your hotel after your day out when you cross the Lions Gate Bridge take the first exit/ entrance into Stanley Park and finish your tour around the park before returning ot your hotel.

Good luck and enjoy Vancouver.

Hope this helps

Archived