Have you ever missed the ship when in port???

Will she be happy to see him......or mad? Let us know how the drama unfolds. That was good thinking to get the passport to him. We leave the original in the safe and carry copies with us, but I have read that copies are no good and you really need the originals. We are leaving in a week, and I am trying to decide what to do.

Each daily Cruise Compass lists (on the bottom in small print) the name, address, & phone number of the Agent in that particular port. It's a good thing to have with you when going ashore, for that contact information incase of an emergency.

Hopefully, you'll never need it though.

I thought I have read the compass from "cover to cover". It's nice to know that information is in there although I have never noticed it. I always carry my compass everywhere with me too.

Now that would be terrifying. We were so paranoid about being left behind that we came back so early, we had time to get back off the ship and explore some more.:eek:

My heart goes out to all involved. How horrible.

Please let us know he got home okay, if you can.[/quote]

Today is the day Dad should be meeting up with the ship and his wife and two friends. They should all be driving home together today and yes, I'll keep you all posted.

Will she be happy to see him......or mad? Let us know how the drama unfolds. That was good thinking to get the passport to him. We leave the original in the safe and carry copies with us, but I have read that copies are no good and you really need the originals. We are leaving in a week, and I am trying to decide what to do.

Dad has already said to DH that he's afraid of what his wife is going to say to him so he is kinda worried about that. I would be too if I put my DH through this ordeal.

MIL just called me from the ship with her cell phone. Just as I suspected, she was told to bring FIL's passport and wallet to the port agent by someone from the ship's crew. She explained to me that as the time grew closer to departure, about a half hour to go, she received a call in the cabin and they asked her if Dad was on board. That is when she realized he wasn't back on the ship. She was told at that point to bring his passport and wallet to the port agent.

The cruise lines have delt with this in the past and RCCL came through and was so helpful to them both. FIL said the port agent in Cozumel drove him to the airport. Such service!!!

If you see a grey haired gentleman dressed in a Voyager of the Seas T-shirt at the Galveston port today, it may be my FIL.

I can tell you from experience, that with a colored copy of your passport and I think $100 cash, you can ge a new temporary passport in 2 hours at the American Embassy in whatever country you are in. Of course if you get left back in St. Thomas you don't need a passport anyway as you are in a US territory, and do not need a passport to fly there.

So, assuming you come back to the ship an hour before the advised ETD (this seems to be the norm), what is likely to cause a change to the ETD drastic enough to make you miss your ship?:confused:

In this case with FIL, he thought the departure time was 4:00pm. There was a change in departure time and "all board" was at 11:00am. As I have said before in a previous post in this thread, Dad did not see the HUGE "all aboard" time sign. He knows now to make sure he looks at the sign anytime leaving a ship.

There was bad weather all week and the itinerary was practically changing on a daily basis. Departure and arrival times were being changed and they missed their last port all together and the last day became a sea day.

Needless to say, Dad was under the impression he was coming back to the ship five hours before departure time and watched the ship sail away when he got to the pier.

I hope she will be so happy to see him that she will give him a big kiss, and they will laugh about the adventure. This will be the one cruise they will always remember.

My FIL had such anticipation for this cruise because it was his first New Year's cruise and that's all he talked about. Yes, they will always remember this cruise for more reasons than one.

I'm hoping for the big kiss too!!!

I can tell you from experience, that with a colored copy of your passport and I think $100 cash, you can ge a new temporary passport in 2 hours at the American Embassy in whatever country you are in. Of course if you get left back in St. Thomas you don't need a passport anyway as you are in a US territory, and do not need a passport to fly there.

This is good to know.......just wondering......what was your experience?

MIL just called me from the ship with her cell phone. Just as I suspected, she was told to bring FIL's passport and wallet to the port agent by someone from the ship's crew. She explained to me that as the time grew closer to departure, about a half hour to go, she received a call in the cabin and they asked her if Dad was on board. That is when she realized he wasn't back on the ship. She was told at that point to bring his passport and wallet to the port agent.

The cruise lines have delt with this in the past and RCCL came through and was so helpful to them both. FIL said the port agent in Cozumel drove him to the airport. Such service!!!

If you see a grey haired gentleman dressed in a Voyager of the Seas T-shirt at the Galveston port today, it may be my FIL.

...the cruiselines and port agents are very nice and helpful in these situations. Certainly makes me feel more comfortable about going far away from home on a Royal Carribbean cruise ship.

I just spoke to FIL and he is waiting at the hotel in Galveston for his wife and two friends. He made the right decision to stay there because he doesn't have a cell phone and knew he would have a tough time finding them at the port. Good call, Dad!!! They should all be on their way home soon in the car. What an adventure for them.

I asked Dad what his wife's first words to him were. She said to him, "I'm so glad to hear your voice."

I just spoke to FIL and he is waiting at the hotel in Galveston for his wife and two friends. He made the right decision to stay there because he doesn't have a cell phone and knew he would have a tough time finding them at the port. Good call, Dad!!! They should all be on their way home soon in the car. What an adventure for them.

I asked Dad what his wife's first words to him were. She said to him, "I'm so glad to hear your voice."

So sweet, glad it has turned out well!:)

I find that hard to believe. Where did you hear that??? On this message board???

Don't find it hard to believe........the poster was on it and so was I. It did happen....we were only pulled away from the dock about 15 ft.

On my first cruise, I lost my purse in a cab in the Bahamas....I called the port and since I had used the only female cabby they knew who she was and found her. She brought my purse with all my ID,,,etc still intact...

What would happen if I couldn;t get passport or ID back? Would you have to live in another country til you could get new passport? and how could you do that without ID and money?

By the way, glad your FIL made out all right..

we always take copies of our passports & put them in different places. Never thought that it needed to be colored one tho as someone posted. Guess it's to kinkos I go to do that.

Each daily Cruise Compass lists (on the bottom in small print) the name, address, & phone number of the Agent in that particular port. It's a good thing to have with you when going ashore, for that contact information incase of an emergency.

Hopefully, you'll never need it though.

I never have noticesd that. will certainly be carrying a compass ashore from now on

I hear ya!!! DH was pickpocketed several years ago in Paris on a crowded bus and he is afraid that may happen again, and the passport may be the next thing to go. Also, some folks like to go in the water at the beach and don't feel comfortable leaving their passport on the beach unsupervised.

We"re going to carry a photocopies of our passports from now on at all times when in foreign ports. I can't believe we haven't done all along. How dumb is that???

me too. I have also always heard to NOT take your passport off the ship--too many folks wanting US passports or something.

I surely will be taking a copy with me tho.

Good ideas folks

So glad this had a great ending.

I bet with her attitude someone got sick of her butt and left her, so she automatically thinks thats what happened. Geez, what a nasty comment for her to make.

Perhaps :D

...are you sure she wasn't just kidding??

Have you looked at some of her other posts?

###

We were on the Mariner 12/23 and while standing in line for our rental car after the cruise, the gentleman in front of me was telling his story to the woman in front of him. His party of 10 people missed the ship in St. Maarten. 8 of the 10 flew back to Orlando. His oldest son and wife stayed behind because his son's passport was on the ship. He met the ship in Orlando, got their luggage and was somehow getting his son's passport to St. Maarten so his son and wife could fly home. I heard him say they got stuck in a traffic jam. That would be a huge bummer. They missed 3 nights of the cruise. And probably have huge travel bills from flying back. I was wondering who would pack their luggage? Their steward or do they let him on when the ship gets to port? I didn't want to ask. He was very calm while telling the story though. I don't know if I would have been.

Archived