Have you ever missed the ship when in port???

I found out last evening that my 80 y/o FIL missed his ship, Voyager OTS in Cozumel and he was by himself. :eek: His wife, realizing he wasn't back to the ship in time, ran off the ship with his and passport and gave it to the port agent. Somehow my FIL met up with the port agent and was able to travel back to the US. He's just waiting for his wife to arrive at the ship's disembarkation port now. The bad weather and change of itinerary is what confused my FIL regarding the all aboard time.

DH is on the phone right now with my FIL. My FIL said he watched the ship as it pulled away from the dock. What a "sinking" feeling that must be expecially when you know you don't have a passport on you.

What have you done if you found yourself without your passport and/or wallet as the ship sailed away without you??? DH and I always keep our passports in the ship safe and don't carry them with us when we get off the ship while in port.

BTW, RCCL has been very good with this situation. They held the ship 30 minutes waiting for him and his wife said the crew has been very helpful in relaying messages to her.

progress.gif

Oh, how awful! I am glad he is safe and soon to meet up with his wife. I don't know if I could have left my spouse on the island though :confused: She was smart to get his passport to the port agent. Glad to see RCL has been so helpful in this situation.

I've been thinking, "What would I have done if I were in the same situation?" My FIL had no cell phone so there was no communication between him and his wife. Where would she meet him??? Would it be guaranteed she would meet up with him???

I can't answer these questions so I just don't know what I would have done in this situation. I guess I should discuss with DH what we should do if we were ever separated and one of us didn't make it back to the ship on time.

Bless his heart & hers.

Please keep us posted and let us know that they met back up ok at the return port.

Glad to hear that RCI help her in this matter and glad she was able to get his passport and I'm sure some cash to him to fly to the next port.

I would be scared at my age, I can't imagine being 80 & in Mexico alone. I'm so thankful the port agent found him.

Marcy

I've been thinking, "What would I have done if I were in the same situation?" My FIL had no cell phone so there was no communication between him and his wife. Where would she meet him??? Would it be guaranteed she would meet up with him???

I can't answer these questions so I just don't know what I would have done in this situation. I guess I should discuss with DH what we should do if we were ever separated and one of us didn't make it back to the ship on time.

We sailed the Mariner in June and I was so paranoid about staying together. We did an excursion in St. Martin and wanted to do some shopping afterwards. My 16 yr old DS had no interest as we had done enough shopping for him in St. Thomas:rolleyes: We went back to the ship, changed, let him stay on board and DH and I went shopping. I could only make it as far as the shops directly at the pier because I was afraid of missing the ship. Talk about paranoid :eek: :p

Your MIL is a strong woman. I hope she was able to enjoy the rest of her cruise once she found out he was safe and on his way:)

Instead of falling to pieces, she was thinking!

As for Grandpa, on a light hearted note since all has turned out well, one too many at Carlos N' Charlies? Met some pretty little Senorita? Got delayed negotiating at Diamonds International?

Seriously, glad it all worked out!

wow..What an adventure..

So...he flew all the way to IAH (Houstons international).,,,then made it back to Galveston...To spend two nights there waiting...

Do they have a vehicle in Galveston.?

Just curious,as I see you are from NJ...And wondering if they then have to make it back to Houston to fly home somewhere..Seems like he would have flown on home..

Oh,well of course he wants to be there when his wife gets off the ship...DUH...How sweet..I think mine would have gone home :D

I found out last evening that my 80 y/o FIL missed his ship, Voyager OTS in Cozumel and he was by himself. :eek: His wife, realizing he wasn't back to the ship in time, ran off the ship with his and passport and gave it to the port agent. Somehow my FIL met up with the port agent and was able to travel back to the US. He's just waiting for his wife to arrive at the ship's disembarkation port now. The bad weather and change of itinerary is what confused my FIL regarding the all aboard time.

DH is on the phone right now with my FIL. My FIL said he watched the ship as it pulled away from the dock. What a "sinking" feeling that must be expecially when you know you don't have a passport on you.

What have you done if you found yourself without your passport and/or wallet as the ship sailed away without you??? DH and I always keep our passports in the ship safe and don't carry them with us when we get off the ship while in port.

BTW, RCCL has been very good with this situation. They held the ship 30 minutes waiting for him and his wife said the crew has been very helpful in relaying messages to her.

progress.gif

Bless their hearts! It must be scary to get left in port. I'm a big chicken at heart and usually stick with ship's tours to eliminate the possibility of standing on the dock watching my ship sail without me!

I didn't know the Voyager had an itinerary change and bad weather this week. It's good to hear RC has been so helpful to your FIL & MIL. It's a very nice day here so hopefully your FIL can enjoy Galveston today while he waits for the ship to arrive in the morning.

Good for her, She probably got sick of his butt and left him there on purpose. if it were me, i wouldnt have left my husband the passport. so he couldnt come back.

Ah, young love...:rolleyes:

I hope your FIL is a take charge person and keeps his wits about him. A lot of 80 year olds are confused and don't know what to do.

He probably had his watch set on Mexican time instead of ship time.

Good for her, She probably got sick of his butt and left him there on purpose. if it were me, i wouldnt have left my husband the passport. so he couldnt come back.

What a thing to say. I wish "stupidity" was painful. You would be walking around holding your head. I hope and pray everything works out okay.

I hope you just accidentally left off the smilies on that one.:)

Bless his heart & hers.

Please keep us posted and let us know that they met back up ok at the return port.

Glad to hear that RCI help her in this matter and glad she was able to get his passport and I'm sure some cash to him to fly to the next port.

I would be scared at my age, I can't imagine being 80 & in Mexico alone. I'm so thankful the port agent found him.

Marcy

The next port was cancelled due to weather so the ship is having an extra sea day. My FIL is waiting for the ship to come back to Galveston which is where he is now.

There was another RCCL ship in port, the Mariner, and he told someone there that he missed getting on the Voyager. They sent FIL to the port agent and everything rolled along very nicely from there. My FIL has traveled extensively all over the world all his adult life. This was not difficult for him.

We sailed the Mariner in June and I was so paranoid about staying together. We did an excursion in St. Martin and wanted to do some shopping afterwards. My 16 yr old DS had no interest as we had done enough shopping for him in St. Thomas:rolleyes: We went back to the ship, changed, let him stay on board and DH and I went shopping. I could only make it as far as the shops directly at the pier because I was afraid of missing the ship. Talk about paranoid :eek: :p

Your MIL is a strong woman. I hope she was able to enjoy the rest of her cruise once she found out he was safe and on his way:)

Dad's wife is on board with another couple they went on vacation with. I can't wait to talk to both of them together to get the whole scenerio.

wow..What an adventure..

So...he flew all the way to IAH (Houstons international).,,,then made it back to Galveston...To spend two nights there waiting...

Do they have a vehicle in Galveston.?

Just curious,as I see you are from NJ...And wondering if they then have to make it back to Houston to fly home somewhere..Seems like he would have flown on home..

Oh,well of course he wants to be there when his wife gets off the ship...DUH...How sweet..I think mine would have gone home :D

Yes, his car is in Galveston because they drove to Galveston to board the ship. Unfortunaltely, he doesn't have the keys to his car so he rented a car in Houston to drive to Galveston and used the rental car in Galveston.

Ah, young love...:rolleyes:

I hope your FIL is a take charge person and keeps his wits about him. A lot of 80 year olds are confused and don't know what to do.

He probably had his watch set on Mexican time instead of ship time.

FIL was under the impression the ship was leaving at 4:00pm. With the bad weather, RCCL had changed the departure time to 11:00am. He got back to the pier around noon, thinking the ship wasn't leaving for another four hours. They held the ship for 30 minutes and he arrived just in time to see the ship pulling away. I first thoughts were, "Oh, that ship looks like it's moving!!!"

Archived