fly to miami or Ft. Lauderdale

FenwayFan33

We're looking at flights and trying to decide if it's worth flying into Ft. Lauderdale if we're sailing from Miami. The flights a little less expensive, but I don't want a hassle of finding a shuttle and driving to Miami.

Any experiences to share with this?

By the way, we are flying in the day before.

We flew into MIA last year and are flying into FLL this year, both for cruises out of Miami. As you said flights were cheaper to FLL. Either way you need to get a shuttle or cab. We rent a car after the cruise and spend a few extra days in Florida, and taking a car back to MIA is a pain in the a$$. Also the MIA airport itself is a busy, old, pit. We're hoping that flying into smaller FLL will be nicer.

It is very easy to fly into Ft Lauderdale and catch the shuttle to Miami. They are located just outside the baggage claim. I booked a town car with them ahead of time, but I gave the wrong flight info and my reservation got mixed up. Ft Lauderdale shuttle immediately found another town car for me and off we went to the Intercontinental in Miami. It was about a 25-30 minute drive. We also flew in the day before. Their link for info is http://www.fortlauderdale-airportshuttle.com/ . Hope this helps. Kim

We're looking at flights and trying to decide if it's worth flying into Ft. Lauderdale if we're sailing from Miami. The flights a little less expensive, but I don't want a hassle of finding a shuttle and driving to Miami.

Any experiences to share with this?

By the way, we are flying in the day before.

Our last (and, only cruise out of Miami) we flew

FRONTIER (from DEN) to FLL. We stayed a night

in FLL, and, joined up with 4 others in FLL.

We arranged to have a limo pick us all up with the luggage

and, haul us to the pier at the Miami port. ~ When we

returned the same driver met us, and, hauled us to FLL,

to catch our flights back..

It cost, but, divided up, was not bad...but,very convienent.

Still we came out over flying some other airline to MIA..

Then, you still have some fare to the port of Miami.

You are right about MIA. FLL is a wonderful airport.

I flew out of MIA too long when I was working...

I lost nothing there...and, certainly nothing

there I want to see again. :rolleyes:

If your fare works for you, go for FLL and, enjoy

that area for a day or so before your cruise.

As long as you are flying in the day before it shouldn,t be a problem. I was on a flight out of DFW that was suppose to land in FLL @ 11:30am didn't get in till 5:30pm due to weather. We sat on the runway in DFW for so long that the pilot said that we didn't have enough fuel to make and that we had 2 choices, 1 - take off and find some place to refuel 2 - go back to the gate and we didn't know when we could get out. We decided to take off and were able to stop in San Antonio to refuel. People got off the plane because they wern't going to make their cruise in Miami. Needless to say we always fly in the day before.

We did this 2 weeks ago. the drive from FLL to Miami was a little less than 45 minutes and cost us 80 bucks in a private taxi for 3 people and 4 suitcases. I would do it again in a heartbeat. We didn't reserve ahead of time-just got off one ship into a taxi to take us to another.

We fly into FLL the day before and rent a car. That provides us with the freedom to get around town that evening and the next day before boarding. We have stayed overnight in both Miami and FLL. If you rent a car from Hertz and stay in Miami they have an easy drop off in downtown. We just hopped in a cab and headed to the port. ($6) We took the RCCL transfer back to FLL after the cruise. It was $25 pp, but for the 2 of us it is cheaper than a cab.

Hubby has had flight problems and had to fly to FLL when his car was at MIA (and vice versa). He says it's a $70 cab ride between the two, possibly slightly more for more people/luggage. Someone else mentioned that it cost them $80 and that seems about right.

It's about half an hour between the two, but allow 45 minutes to an hour because there is usually traffic getting into the port in Miami.

For the day b4. Hertz has a drop off across from the port w/ a free shuttle. If you're just looking for transport back to the airport on your return it might be slightly cheaper to do the shuttle.

Also, if you're looking at Airtran, you do not necessarily have to take the same airport in/out to get the best price. Rather than hitting round trip, do a multi city inbound to FLL and outbound from MIA.

We have done it both ways (flown into FLL for a cruise out of Miami and into Miami for a cruise out of Port Everglades) Neither was exceptionally difficult to do, so I would recommend that you compare flight schedules and prices (remember to factor in the cost of your shuttle) and then decide which flights work best for you. Frankly I found it a bit easier to fly into FLL than Miami but I really disliked our experience at FLL when we completed our cruise and had to fly home from there.:rolleyes:

We have done it both ways (flown into FLL for a cruise out of Miami and into Miami for a cruise out of Port Everglades) Neither was exceptionally difficult to do, so I would recommend that you compare flight schedules and prices (remember to factor in the cost of your shuttle) and then decide which flights work best for you. Frankly I found it a bit easier to fly into FLL than Miami but I really disliked our experience at FLL when we completed our cruise and had to fly home from there.:rolleyes:

What did you dislike about flying out of FLL after your cruise? Just curious.......we will be flying into and out of FLL in March.....our 1st time at this airport.

Archived