?

triciaminkc

We are planning our excursions while in Alaska. Many of the ones that are offered by the cruiseline my kids are not old enough for. After reading this board it seems that many go with outside tour groups with much success. We are planning on doing this. My mom keeps freaking out and telling the rest of our group that this is not a good idea because if your on a tour that is offered by the cruiseline and you get back late they will wait for you but if your on an your own they won't. Is there a big risk of not getting back on time from the other tours? Seems like it is not that big of a deal as long as you plan well! Any thoughts?

Sorry but your mother's concern is NOT valid with proper planning. Tour operators aren't the cause of people missing ships, cruiser's poor planning and loss of time is.

There are many fantastic independent vendors to consider, you need to fully disclose your port time and ship you are on. Then go with their recommendations for time.

However, if you kids are too young for the ship tours you are considering, this is most likely standard and for good reasons.

When you are considering an independent excursion, security and convenience are always valid considerations. While most independent operators are very aware of sailing times and exert their utmost efforts to get you back to the ship on time, nevertheless the ship can and WILL sail without you. On a ship's excursion, normally that will not happen. With small children, this becomes an important consideration. The risk is not large, but it is there.

OTOH, if your kids are not able to go on the ship's excursions, you may be left with Hobson's choice. I am not sure which excursions you have in mind that exclude kids, and can be matched by independent excursions which accept kids. A possibility you may have to consider is choosing other excursions that do accept kids.

On many ships, the kid's club is open when the ship is in port and it is possible to leave your kids there while you go ashore. You could have your TA check on this possibility.

>>When you are considering an independent excursion, security and convenience are always valid considerations.<<

Maybe in the Caribbean that's true - in Alaska it's nonsense. The independents are every bit as reliable as the ship operators, and often give you better service because you're dealing with the operator instead of an agent, and the groups are smaller. The only time I ever book through the ship is if there's no choice - evening orca viewing in Victoria, for example.

Murray

>>When you are considering an independent excursion, security and convenience are always valid considerations.<<

Maybe in the Caribbean that's true - in Alaska it's nonsense. The independents are every bit as reliable as the ship operators, and often give you better service because you're dealing with the operator instead of an agent, and the groups are smaller. The only time I ever book through the ship is if there's no choice - evening orca viewing in Victoria, for example.

Murray

Well, Murray -- IMHO it is not a wise idea to make big general blanket statements. There are indeed many well established independent operators in Alaska. Those that are frequently recommended on this board are probably all very reliable.

NEVERTHELESS it is an important and valid consideration in ANY port to compare the safety and security and convenience of the ship's tours to those offered by independent operators. Neither you nor I have any idea who is going to be standing on the pier in Alaska offering tours next summer, nor how reliable they may be. To suggest that EVERY ONE of them is as safe and reliable as the ship's tour operators is, IMHO, not a wise idea.

We had a wonderful time with Teckk tours in ISP, for example. Keith is well recommended on this board. BUT -- what if he had had a broken axle, way out on one of those logging roads? Was there an infrastructure in place for rescue, and time for it to operate? Honestly, I don't know. It was a risk. We chose to take the risk.

To a parent traveling with children, these are even more important considerations. The level of risk involved, small or large, is something they must consider. For first time cruisers, with kids, they may be happier with the most secure options.

My children are 14, 12, 10 and 7. We wanted to go horseback riding but they are not all old enough on the cruiseline tour. We found one called Emerald Lake Ranch that they can all go. It seems to be well known. It is thought Southwest Tours.

I agree about being safe. I am not worried about that with this tour. Some I would be. But not this one. My oldest wanted Ziplining and he was the only one old enough. that I am sure has to do with harness size ect.

Thanks for your imput!

I have YET to hear of someone missing the ship from being on an independent tour in AK - more likely lost track of time shopping. Mike, I'd appreciate it if you'd inform me of any??

I can't let this comment slide by...why would you have heard of it if it had happened? And even if it hasn't happened, that doesn't mean it couldn't or won't. We're a land of few roads, often with only one way to or from someplace. Just a car wreck could stop traffic long enough to cause someone to miss the cruise. If you're one person traveling alone and miss the ship because of a choice you made, it's not the end of the world. However, 6 people trying to get to the next port on their own? Ouch! Personally, I would recommend independent excursions, but I sure wouldn't guarantee that nothing would hamper a timely return to the cruise ship. Although I frequently disagree with Mike, this is one time we are on the same wavelength.

>>Neither you nor I have any idea who is going to be standing on the pier in Alaska offering tours next summer, nor how reliable they may be.<<

Point taken - anyone who books tours that way is playing with fire. Do your research and book ahead - or at least know who you're going to call when you arrive.

I can't let this comment slide by...why would you have heard of it if it had happened? And even if it hasn't happened, that doesn't mean it couldn't or won't.

Working in the tourist industry and closely aligned with the ships for 17 years, I would have heard about it. I've heard of the odd near-miss, all of them caused by people shopping. So it hasn't happened yet, and if it hasn't happened in how many million excursions, I'm going for quality, which means independent. If I start worrying about one-in-a-million chances, I'll be afraid to get out of bed - or stay in it in case a plane crashes on my house.

Murray

Working in the tourist industry and closely aligned with the ships for 17 years, I would have heard about it. I've heard of the odd near-miss, all of them caused by people shopping. So it hasn't happened yet, and if it hasn't happened in how many million excursions, I'm going for quality, which means independent. If I start worrying about one-in-a-million chances, I'll be afraid to get out of bed - or stay in it in case a plane crashes on my house.

Murray

While I agree that you would be in a likely position to know, you weren't who posted the comment.

I just want to jump in here as I cannot say enough about the independent tours. I have booked them in Europe, the Med, the caribbean, and Alaska. All the tours I have used have been excellent but I did do my homework before I booked. I only booked one ship's tour as that was the only way off the ship in the Panama Canal. The tour operators are VERY in tune with the ship and sailing times. They would not be in business very long if their clients missed the ship. Having said all of that, watch me miss the ship during the tours in Alaska in July. But I will still stick with the independents. On almost all you will save $$$ and have a wonderful personal tour.

I wish I had booked the ship's tour in Icy Strait Point last summer. I would have seen whales, unlike an independent excursion that didn't work out.

The best advice is as has been stated - do your homework, know the risks and go for it.

( I am just a newbie) but if you are on an independant trip and the axle breaks, or car accident prevents you getting back to port would your travel insurance cover your travel to the next port to rejoin the ship. Obviously if you are shopping and forget the time you are on your own, but a genuine accident that prevents your return to port?

( I am just a newbie) but if you are on an independant trip and the axle breaks, or car accident prevents you getting back to port would your travel insurance cover your travel to the next port to rejoin the ship. Obviously if you are shopping and forget the time you are on your own, but a genuine accident that prevents your return to port?

Insurance is a very tricky thing. Policies differ vastly. I don't think typical policies would cover this, but there may be some that do.

This brings up the important point that you have to consider getting to the next port as part of the risk in booking tours. If you miss the ship in Ketchikan and it is in Skagway next day, you are going to have to spend some bucks with a bush pilot but probably will make the connection. If you miss the ship in its last port before heading off to Hubbard Glacier and then College Fjord, and have to meet it in Seward, then you are out about three days of your cruise. This is another factor that must be paid attention to. Admittedly, in Alaska it is less important than in, say, the Med. Getting left behind in Turkey while the ship and your passport are on the way to Israel could be really bad news. (It happens we took that chance, booked independently in Turkey, and loved it. Doesn't mean that everybody should.)

My children are 14, 12, 10 and 7. We wanted to go horseback riding but they are not all old enough on the cruiseline tour. We found one called Emerald Lake Ranch that they can all go. It seems to be well known. It is thought Southwest Tours.

I agree about being safe. I am not worried about that with this tour. Some I would be. But not this one. My oldest wanted Ziplining and he was the only one old enough. that I am sure has to do with harness size ect.

Thanks for your imput!

We took our friends' 7-year old to ride with Joni at emerald lake ranch. He had a great time. You can email Joni directly to book with her if you are planning to go there by rental car.

Have been on this board planning for two of my last Alaska cruises, I have yet heard anyone posting a story about missing ship due to independent tour (those who opt for indepent tour most likely got the idea of going indepent from this board :)). Of course, there is always a chance for something to happen. I risked against the advice from the board to get a car from sourdough in Skagway. The car could break down in the middle of nowhere. But we took a calculated risk as many cruisers had warned us about the car condition. And luckily, it didn't happen.

Whoops - excuse me for stating my opinion!!!!

I can see that explaining myself will only dig the hole deeper..but Murray I was not disparaging either your opinion or your facts. Please accept my apologies for writing a comment that was not precise in its meaning, and appeared to be sarcastic towards you.

I am not a bit worried taking independent excursions in Alaska. Especially those I have researched here or elsewhere. The company the OP mentioned has been doing tours (though I haven't personally used them) for some time, and I am sure that we would've seen posts had someone missed the ship using their company.

The reputable companies want to stay in business, and in order to do so, they must be reliable.

We have taken a tour with a driver who had an incident previously at the US border coming back toward Skagway. While it was funny to hear her tell it, I'm more than certain that it wasn't funny to the passengers involved at the time. However, the company she drove for DID have precautions against unforseen circumstances and put their plan into play immediately, getting the passengers back to the ship in a timely manner.

I am not opposed to ship excursions, however, incidents happen on those as well... while the ship may wait, the tours themselves aren't always safe, either.

I am not a bit worried taking independent excursions in Alaska. Especially those I have researched here or elsewhere. The company the OP mentioned has been doing tours (though I haven't personally used them) for some time, and I am sure that we would've seen posts had someone missed the ship using their company.

The reputable companies want to stay in business, and in order to do so, they must be reliable.

We have taken a tour with a driver who had an incident previously at the US border coming back toward Skagway. While it was funny to hear her tell it, I'm more than certain that it wasn't funny to the passengers involved at the time. However, the company she drove for DID have precautions against unforseen circumstances and put their plan into play immediately, getting the passengers back to the ship in a timely manner.

I am not opposed to ship excursions, however, incidents happen on those as well... while the ship may wait, the tours themselves aren't always safe, either.

I also enjoy booking independent tours in Alaska. No one should be frightened by the scare tactics used by one poster in relating about missing Glacier Bay and College Fjord. Could it happen - sure, but you could be hit by a moose or be carried away by a herd of Alaskan rabbits! The cruise tour business is a huge money maker for cruise lines and TA's and in Alaska is not necessary to book cruise tours. Most tour companies are very reliable but you do have to do your home work. Sure some one could miss the boat for a variety of reasons but that would never stop me from going on my own or with independent tour operators. The tours are usually better and they are usually much cheaper than what the cruise lines offer.

Well, Murray -- IMHO it is not a wise idea to make big general blanket statements. There are indeed many well established independent operators in Alaska. Those that are frequently recommended on this board are probably all very reliable.

NEVERTHELESS it is an important and valid consideration in ANY port to compare the safety and security and convenience of the ship's tours to those offered by independent operators. Neither you nor I have any idea who is going to be standing on the pier in Alaska offering tours next summer, nor how reliable they may be. To suggest that EVERY ONE of them is as safe and reliable as the ship's tour operators is, IMHO, not a wise idea.

We had a wonderful time with Teckk tours in ISP, for example. Keith is well recommended on this board. BUT -- what if he had had a broken axle, way out on one of those logging roads? Was there an infrastructure in place for rescue, and time for it to operate? Honestly, I don't know. It was a risk. We chose to take the risk.

To a parent traveling with children, these are even more important considerations. The level of risk involved, small or large, is something they must consider. For first time cruisers, with kids, they may be happier with the most secure options.

Hoonah is a great little town and I know that Keith's wife Edna keeps her eye on the time and their phone near by, and if she doesn't hear from Keith then another car is on it's way to find him. The first year of opperation ISP had a fishing boat that broke down a couple of times and someone was always there to get the passengers. I guess the biggest advantage is that there is only one ship at a time in port and the people there truely do look out for one another!

Hoonah is a great little town and I know that Keith's wife Edna keeps her eye on the time and their phone near by, and if she doesn't hear from Keith then another car is on it's way to find him. The first year of opperation ISP had a fishing boat that broke down a couple of times and someone was always there to get the passengers. I guess the biggest advantage is that there is only one ship at a time in port and the people there truely do look out for one another!

That's a great contingency plan!

... No one should be frightened by the scare tactics used by one poster in relating about missing Glacier Bay and College Fjord. Could it happen - sure, but you could be hit by a moose or be carried away by a herd of Alaskan rabbits! ...

You know, discussion does not have to be labeled "scare tactics" or disparaged. Several people have stated their opinions here, which is what the board is for. I think that all of the reasonable opinions, stated without name calling, have been worthwhile and contributed to the discussion.

And watch out for those rabbits -- they are almost as big as the mosquitoes!

Archived