Soot problem on Brillance aft cabins??

39august

We recently had an aft cabin on deck 8 on Navigator and soot was definitely a problem as the balcony was littered with it every morning. This was an uncovered balcony. We were on Brilliance aft deck 7 last spring and experienced no soot and a covered balcony. Will that also be the case on aft deck 8 on Brilliance? If the deck 8 balconies are covered, it should not be a problem. The soot certainly did not keep us from going on the balcony, but the soot on the floor got all over our feet and shoes and tracked into the cabin. So, you more experienced Brilliance cruisers, should I keep my deck 8 aft cabin?

I'm in an aft cabin on Navigator next month. Is the problem worse in the morning or is it just that it accumulates overnight? If you're sitting on your balcony, do you feel the soot falling on you or is it lighter than that? This may be a stupid question, but does it affect breathing at all? (I have asthma)

I read about this problem on some ships and asked the same question when I booked my brilliance aft cabin. This was last feb, so I don't know where those threads are now. Anyway, I was told that the brilliance does not have the type of engines that put out soot so should not be a problem. I hope that is right as we too have an 8th floor aft cabin, 8170 on 1/14/05. What is yours & when are you going? If we go first, I'll let you know what we experience.

Wow! I guess we were lucky. We were in 1688 Aft balcony on deck 10 last week and never had one speck of soot! I was back there alot and never had any on the furniture or floor. The only thing we had was wetness from the automated window washers on the Windjammer windows each night. After the first night we made sure to move the chairs back against the cabin each night.

Hi! We were on that Brilliance cruise with you in April! We had cabin 8672 and had NO soot problems.

We are taking the same cruise again in March we loved it so much. This time we booked a Grand Suite since our 21 year old is coming with us. We are even thinking about doing Eli's again!

Lisa

We are booked on the April 8 cruise to Panama Canal. We unexpectedly were in Antigua on the 9 day Navigator cruise which left 8-28 and went behind hurricane Francis. We saw Eli when we were at Dickenson Beach, but weren't close enough to get his attention. We had a great beach day, but might should have waited at Eli's dock, as it was apparent that his boat was not full!! I thought that the aft balconies were covered on Brilliance, but wanted some input to be sure. Have a great cruise and leave her in great shape for us! We're booked for the Jewel on the 10 day out of Boston 9-12-05 to Labadee, St. Martin, Tortola and Bermuda. What a great intinerary!!

We cruised on the grandeur this summer in 8088 aft cabin and noticed soot on the balcony . This cabin was partially covered by the beauty shop above it. However one evening after dark we watched the smoke coming off the stack and saw burning embers with the smoke. I believe the embers and the soot is caused by the incineration of trash. It was late and the wind blew most of it out to sea.

We really enjoyed our aft balcony, a welcome surprise as an upgrade! :) :)

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the Brilliance was gas turbine powered - which shouldn't give any soot problems.

Serenade of the Seas is a Royal Caribbean International vessel and is the third in a series of four Radiance-class ships. Each ship features two GE LM2500+ gas turbine-generator sets in a COmbined Gas turbine and steam turbine integrated Electric drive system (COGES). Other Royal Caribbean ships in this class include Radiance of the Seas (April 2001), Brilliance of the Seas (July 2002) and Jewel of the Seas (second quarter 2004). Each of these ships feature the same LM2500+-powered COGES arrangement that fulfills both propulsion as well as all on-board power requirements.

jj........

Archived