Question about the Jewel

atlasali

On the Pearl, we really liked the monitors that displayed the availability at the restaurants. If you have to make reservations every day then how freestyle is freestyle dining? Are those monitors on the Jewel, too?

The monitors were on the Jewel and they were placed throughout the ship. If you want a reservation in one of the "pay" restaurants you better get up at about 6:45am the day before you want your reservation and get on the phone to make it. Also all the people in the suites and villas can book their reservations at the beginning of the cruise, so they get priority over your reservation. Book Tepanyaki Restaurant early on and you might stand a chance of getting in. Good luck.

I was on the Dawn (ship was full) in November and made reservations for Le Bistro twice. I NEVER had to stand in line in the morning. I made my reservations the day before at about 4pm. Granted there was just two of us and we ate a 6:30pm. I wasn't in a suite. I guess I was lucky :)

If you have to make reservations every day then how freestyle is freestyle dining? Are those monitors on the Jewel, too?

With four or more alternative restaurants to choose from on newer NCL ships, it's a lot more "free" than having no (or one) alternative restaurant for which you have to make a reservation. And, there are always two main dining rooms where you can walk in at any time without a reservation.

Although the monitors are a very good idea on paper, they are seldom up kept up to date and rarely reflect the actual occupancy of each restaurant.

For the specialty restaurants, you need reservations most of the time anyways, so looking at the monitors is basically useless. Regardless of what the screens say, if you do not have a reservation, you have very little chance of getting in.

For the two main dining rooms, simply show up like you would at any land restaurant and your chance of getting seated with very little wait are pretty good. You're on vacation for a week or more, waiting 10 to 15 minutes will not hurt.

It is a little bit different during the Christmas cruises. There are many large family groups changing the dynamics. We, a family of 3, were able to get in where we wanted without reservations for all but the last night of the cruise at La Cucina, the Italian themed restaurant. We were able to walk up to La Bistro and be seated instead.

Archived