Planning family gathering on RCCL, advice?

skyw

HI

We are planning a family gathering for Jun of 2009. Can anyone offer any advice from experience. This is the plan so far.....use a TA, so I don't get stuck with most of the work. Use the "majority wins" philosophy. As in .....go with the time, ship and number of days that most of us want. I am a little bit hesitant to even spear head this whole thing. I have a great family but everyone has their own ideas etc. Anyone with some good/bad experiences with family and/or RCCL. (like getting seats together at dinner etc)

Thanks

Make sure your TA links everyone's reservation numbers together so you will be seated together (or at nearby tables if there are too many of you).

Check with the maitre d' as soon as you board so that you are sure that you all have the tables you need or want. :)

HI

We are planning a family gathering for Jun of 2009. Can anyone offer any advice from experience. This is the plan so far.....use a TA, so I don't get stuck with most of the work. Use the "majority wins" philosophy. As in .....go with the time, ship and number of days that most of us want. I am a little bit hesitant to even spear head this whole thing. I have a great family but everyone has their own ideas etc. Anyone with some good/bad experiences with family and/or RCCL. (like getting seats together at dinner etc)

Thanks

how many people? kids? ages?

We are going on a 'Family Cruise' to the W. Caribbean for 7 nights aboard the Mariner OTS the end of this month. We held an informal family meeting to discuss everyones desires then it was decided that I (being the PaPa) would decide on where and when which I did and all (3 adult children and spouses and our only grandson) agreed. I then contacted our TA and she handled the rest of it. We are now eagerly awaiting our departure date and have planned to fly down to Port Canaveral a day early and take in some sights as well as eliminate any possibilty of any 'Air' delays that could make us late for the ships departure on Sunday. So far it has been much fun for all of us planning the excursions--things to do onboard--etc. Our TA arranged for us all to sit together at the first seating for dinner. We will see how it all turns out and I will try to post a review when we return.

Above all............Go For It and HAVE FUN

glenn (buckeyeair)

As long as you have all agreed upon the exact cruise you'll be booking, I'd contact the TA, and then give her (or his) number to everyone else, and have THEM be responsible for their own arrangements. Then, once everyone has booked, you can start making more detailed plans. Basically, everyone should do their own thing for excursions, etc.... Plan on dinner together and maybe one or two "family events"--but that's it! Let everyone have their own space and schedule, or you'll all go crazy! If the active ones in the group have to spend time waiting on gimpy grandpa to catch-up, folks get a bit "testy"! So let everyone do their own thing!

Your on the right track!

Getting a TA is very important. But be sure that you get one that specializes in Cruises. Do not pick one just because of cost or gifts!! You want one that does not charge extra fees!! If RCI doesn't charge a fee, the TA shouldn't charge a fee.

Find out what everyone is looking for in a cruise. Activities, Islands/Ports, More/Less Sea Days, How many days to cruise 5, 7, 9, etc. Your TA may have a form that can be sent to each family to fill out. This will help with the final decision. Then the TA can help with organizing the cruise.

It great that you chose June '09, as you will a better choice of cabins. Cabins can accommodate 2, 3 or 4 guests. There are also family cabins on certain ships that can hold more. Of course your family can choose if they want an Inside cabin (least expensive) Oceanview cabin (with window) Balcony cabin or Suites.

I hope this has helped a little......Good Luck, it will be a blast planning your cruise.

I planned a three-day family reunion last spring (land-based) for 70 people, and the best advice I can give you is to talk to your family about their likes and dislikes, available free time, etc., then do extensive research regarding the ship, itinerary, and date and then pick the exact cruise YOURSELF based on the information you have gleaned. If you ask 20 people exactly what they want, you will potentially get 20 different opinions. Present the final product to the family as a well-thought out decision (which I know it is), and hope they will support it. If you "vote", someone may not be happy if their choice wasn't picked.

I encountered all kinds of opinions, both before and after I chose the hotel/city/date for the reunion. In the end, just about everybody showed up. The ones that didn't come probably wouldn't have come anyway, no matter what.

Also check with your TA about perks for large groups. I believe when you book a certain number of cabins, you get one free cruise passage. You can use this money for an onboard party for your family, or something similar.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

When you get on board arrange to have a family picture taken. I suggest the white back drop and everyone wearing jeans, and a white t-shirt:p .It looks great.
If you cannot get everyone to dress this way, ask the onboard photographer to switch the photograph to black and white (or sepia tones) -- instantly no more clashing colors!

Make sure the TA does a group booking. If you have at least 8 cabins and sixteen beds, you should be entitled to a free berth and ask to use it for YOU. That makes being the group co-ordinator worth it.

Make sure the group understands they don't have to spend 24 hours a day together - that they can all do whatever excursions they want and not have to feel they need to do everything together.

Good luck and have fun!

Archived