Novice needs help

UF G8R

My husband and I have only been on three short caribbean cruises and we are now headed to Alsaka on the Coral Princess on 6/2. We are flying into Anchorage two days before and I need some advice.

Hotel suggestions? I have read about the Diamond center somethingorother that sounds interesting some places and sound like it is in the middle of a Walmart parking lot in others.

How is the best way to get from Anchorage to Whittier?

With such a short time in Acnchorage, what should we plan to do?

Do we need a rental car?

Thanks in advance. I enjoy reading all the posts.

I really can't help with the nice downtown hotel choices as we stay at the Super 8... and it's well... a Super 8...:), and not the best one we've stayed at. And isn't within walking distance of much, but with a rental, it is fine. We do like the shuttle they offer for the airport and to the train station.

I really think you need a rental. There is so much you can see and do in two days that you'd be very limited in otherwise. I don't think you'd have time to do Denali area justice, but Anchorage and outlying areas offer plenty. Seward could also be an option. You can rent the car in town in order to avoid extra airport taxes.

I suggest you return the rental while in Anchorage and utilize the Alaska Railroad for the transfer from Anchorage to Whittier. Your luggage will be checked in at the depot and you will not see it again until you board the ship, leaving you free to enjoy the afternoon. The train timetable allows perfect timing to enjoy an afternoon cruise of Prince William Sound and some up close glacier viewing, prior to boarding your ship.

Will you have 2 full days?

Another option some will recommend is a one-way car rental. Pick-up in Anchorage, drop in Whittier. It is expensive, but can make wise use of your short time. Balanced against train tickets it may not be a huge difference anyway.

Personally, I simply enjoy the Alaska Railroad experience. It leaves around 10am from Anchorage, arriving a little after 12pm. This gives you plenty of time to book an afternoon of glacier sailing prior to boarding your ship. You will sail PWS the following morning, but it will not be from such an 'upclose and personal' perspective.

Here are some links to the railroad and to a few of the glacier cruise companies.

http://www.akrr.com/arrc8.html

http://www.26glaciers.com/

http://www.majormarine.com/alaska-day-cruises/prince-william-sound-glacier-cruise/

http://www.alaskaheritagetours.com/4.cfm

The last link also shows one of the Kenai Fjords National Park cruises offered should you decide to spend some time in Seward if you choose to rent a car.

Definately consider a car rental.

I agree, look at a costly one way Avis Anchorage/Whittier rental. You then can include Seward and some of the excellent activities available there, with my top choice Kenai Fjords boat tours- excellent for varied wildlife- do NOT expect much from the cruise ship, and close up glacier viewing, again, nothing compared to the cruise ship. You can also include Seavey's Sled dogs, Exit Glacier etc. You could also include a Prince William sound boat tour out of Whittier, a stop at the Portage Glacier visitor center.

Do your homework and determine what your priority is, I would not be in any rush to get on the ship, there is so much more of Alaska to experience.

Archived