Sydney Opera House

BillyMetz

I am needing information from anyone who has been to the Sydney Opera House and seen a show while there. I am going to be in Sydney and would like to see a show at the opera house while there. However I am wanting to play that by ear and not make a commitment to doing so until actually there. I don't know what else I may want to do and may have to pick and choose with the time I have available. I have two questions. How difficult is it to get tickets to a production the day of a performance or the day before? What is the usual attire worn by patrons seeing a show? Do people dress up? Should I bring along a suit just in case?

We went to an orchestra performance when we were there and were able to get tickets the day before we went. The only problem with this strategy is that you have no idea what is on or what you'd like to see (perhaps on a different day). But we didn't care, our goal was to just hear the acoustics and know we had been to a performance. So I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

Re: clothes, most people dressed nicely but my husband did not wear a suit, rather a nice shirt and slacks. I imagine it depends on the performance you attend.

Hope you have as wonderful an experience as we did. Also remember that tours of the Opera House are informative and interesting as well.

Yes people tend to dress up a bit for shows at the Opera House. But this is Sydney and you could wear jeans and nobody would really care (well maybe some would - but not too many)

The more upmarket the show the more people tend to dress up eg Sydney Symphony Orchestra. Plays tend to attract a very eclectic bunch.

How difficult is it to get tickets to a production the day of a performance or the day before? What is the usual attire worn by patrons seeing a show? Do people dress up? Should I bring along a suit just in case?
My impression is that there are many performances at the Opera House where there are still some tickets left on the day of the performance. But obviously this will inevitably vary according to what's on; there are always going to be some gigs which sell out well in advance.

Personally, I have never worried much about what to wear to go to shows there. As long as you're tidy, you won't feel out of place. A suit will almost certainly be unnecessary. If you see many people in suits there on a weekday evening, it'll simply because they've gone from work without going home first to change.

We saw Nutcracker and Not the Messiah - He's a Very Naughty Boy when we were in Sydney in November and December. We did book from London and both performances were full on the day. We were lucky enough to see and speak to Eric Idle at the airport on the way home which was an extra bonus! We noted that people were nicely dressed but not necessarily in suits - smart casual is fine.

Thanks. I usually depend greatly on this board in my planning for cruises. However this time I am using it in reference to a land based vacation. My wife and I, along with two other couples, are going on vacation to Sydney for the first two weeks of April. This will be our first time there and any additional information anyone would want to volunteer would be appreciated. I am already reading what all the what to see and do in Sydney threads. What should we expect the weather to be like then? How about exchanging money. Get a bunch before we leave LA or wait until we get to Sydney? How exhausting is that flight from LA to Sydney? We are starting our trip from Nashville in the evening and our connecting Quantas flight from LA leaves at 11:50 pm. We will be flying coach and I can't even imagine how tired we are going to be by the time we land in Sydney. I don't sleep very well on planes. Everyone says we are to stay up the day of arrival until normal bed time in Sydney. This will get our body clocks in line.

Anything and everything anyone want to share would be appreciated.

What should we expect the weather to be like then? How about exchanging money. Get a bunch before we leave LA or wait until we get to Sydney? How exhausting is that flight from LA to Sydney?
IME, early April in Sydney is usually nice. But living next to the ocean, anything can happen weather-wise.

For money, I always just use ATMs. I always have a small (sometimes not-so-small) float left over from last time, so I usually don't have to do this at the airport. But I did have to last time, and can vouch for the multiplicity of ATMs in the arrivals area.

As for the flight, the three main suggestions for dealing with it are sleep, sleep and sleep. Otherwise you will be exhausted when you get to Sydney, because as far as your body is concerned you'll have been up all night and then half way through the next day before you even start the day in Sydney.

BTW, you might want to remember that there is no "u" in Qantas! :D

Billy - I would recommend you check with the SOH's website to see what's playing while you are there. You can alway reserve your tickets so that you can pick them up at will call (although they call it something different). Check and make sure what their policy is though. Some theaters will not let you refund tickets(ours doesn't). At least you would know what shows will be on while you are there.

Dress really varies from theater to theater - going to an opera or ballet, you will see more dressier folks than going to a regular show. I don't think you need tux or gown, but you might want to try resort casual. I've seen folks there in shorts and tee shirts, so I am thinking that just about anything goes these days.

We did an evening flight to New Zealand and slept pretty much all the way there. I woke up for dinner and breakfast, but of course. once we arrived at Auckland, we adjusted our watches and did our best to convince ourselves that the new time was actual time. We walked around a bit as our hotel room wasn't ready, ate lunch took a short nap (with a wake up call to be safe), then walked a bit more had an early dinner and went to bed. Clocks were pretty much readjusted the next day. it was coming home that we had all the problems. It took nearly two weeks for me to get rescheduled. Boss sent me home twice because I was too tired to safely work on the rigging or load in. Would do it again in a heartbeat though!

How much time do you have in Sydney? If time allows, go on the Sydney Bridge Climb - it is incredible and you don't have to be in fabulous shape for it.

We got a bit of walking around money at our bank and then exchanged more once we hit town. ATMs hadn't really taken over at that point, so we just went to the hotel desk and exchanged there. Most of our big purchases we put on a card though and just got enough cash for a soda or the like.

Have an incredible time!

Charlie

Thanks Spikesgirl for the good info. We are going to be in Sydney almost two weeks. We will arrive the morning of April 1st and our departure flight is on Thursday April 10th. We should have plenty of time to hopefully see all we can while there. We for sure have the bridge climb in mind. Last March we did a cruise on the RCC Freedom of the Seas and the cruise director at that time is from Sydney. I can not remember his name now. I talked to him about going to his hometown and he also recommended the bridge climb. We are completely wide open as to what to see and do while there. I think I would like to see the Great Barrier Reef but from what I can tell it would be rather expensive to fly up there from Sydney, and take a lot of time. So we are not sure if we will spend the entire time in Sydney with maybe a day trip venture to somewhere outside the city, or maybe take a couple days go somewhere else. Still in the planning.

Sydney has SO much to see - we wish we had had a lot more time. However, we spent one day in the Blue Mountains. It was an absolutely fabulous day. We didn't take a guided tour but went by ourselves from Circular Quay to Central and then the train to Katoomba. The ticket we bought included all the train travel and the hop on/hop off bus which meets the train, and a guide book. Would seriously suggest this as you have a reasonable amount of time in Sydney - and I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Have a great holiday.

I think I would like to see the Great Barrier Reef but from what I can tell it would be rather expensive to fly up there from Sydney, and take a lot of time.
I would agree with your caution. If you basically have nine days in Sydney, I wouldn't even think of trying to get to the reef. Realistically, that will take you a minimum of three days, two of them just travelling.

Plenty of other things to do in and around Sydney, as you have seen from other threads!

What was an eye opener for me was just how big Australia is. I mean, I've seen it on maps, but nothing prepares you for the immensity of the country in person. It would have taken two days just to walk the botannical gardens behind our hotel! It broke my heart that we didn't have time for the GBR, but it is quite the journey to and from. We will go back just for that one day soon.

One thing - incredible, incredible people! We fell in love with them! Warm funny and always there to answer questions about their country.

Charlie

What was an eye opener for me was just how big Australia is. I mean, I've seen it on maps, but nothing prepares you for the immensity of the country in person.
It's basically the size of the US - that is, the contiguous 48.

So when people ask something like "Can we do a day trip from Sydney to Cairns?", it's almost exactly the same as asking "Can we do a day trip from Miami to Boston?".

Answer: Yes, sort of. But it's something you'd have to be pretty mad to try!

Billy, a day trip to the Blue Mountains makes for a great day out and using the train is a really good way of doing it. Be warned though, a day trip will likely leave you wanting more! To taste all that the Katoomba/Luera area has to offer (spectacular mountain scenery, bushwalks and even art galleries and tea houses) is probably too much for one day, but one day certainly gives you a chance to appreciate the highlights.

What tomtal did was travel on an interurban train from Sydney to the Blue Mountains (see www.cityrail.info/fares/link_tickets.jsp) and then use the Blue Mountains Explorer hop-on hop-off bus to get around the various attractions (see www.explorerbus.com.au for full details of the service and the area's attractions, plus links to other sites). The train trip takes about 2 hours, so to maximise your time at Katoomba, I suggest catching an early train (there is one a little before 7:30am from Sydney Central to Katoomba that links with the first explorer bus of the day), and then return on a late afternoon train.

Cheers

Bob

I agree with Globaliser that you would need 3 days if you want to go to the GBR. However, it's an easy flight from Sydney to Cairns and the highspot of our whole time in Australia was our day in the rain forest and at the GBR. We booked through Viator.com a trip called Cairns in a Day which included Kuranda Scenic Railway, Skyrail over the rain forest, a helicopter flight over the reef (Hastings Reef) which landed on a pontoon before taking us to their high speed vessel for snorkelling, diving, swimming or glass bottom boat viewing. This was an expensive trip but

No. 1 as far as we were concerned. Accommodation in Cairns, incidentally, is not that expensive. We had 6 days in Sydney which was not enough. If you are considering going back to Australia, then spend it in Sydney and surrounds but, if not, don't put the Great Barrier Reef to the side as, in my opinion, it's a 'must'.

Hi BillyMetz

I held a subscription for the Australian Ballet for about 10 years and always dressed those evenings - not formal, but above smart casual - it's just part of the fun. It is a fantastic venue.

The Opera House website is www.sydneyoperahouse.com - go to the "What's On" page and enter your dates for April.

There is one show there that may really be of interest - Didgeridoo meets Orchestra.

It's basically the size of the US - that is, the contiguous 48.

So when people ask something like "Can we do a day trip from Sydney to Cairns?", it's almost exactly the same as asking "Can we do a day trip from Miami to Boston?".

Answer: Yes, sort of. But it's something you'd have to be pretty mad to try!

You're cracking me up:D :D

Billy - something else to think about in Sydney is a tour of the Opera House. Highly recommend a backstage tour - if you get a good guide, it can be a real eye-opening experience. They usually run on Wednesday and Sunday or at least those were the times when we were there.

Won't go too much into detail, but I work in theater as a stage manager and when we were through, they offered me an application...it was very flattering. It was a great way to see the 'working elements' of the theater and I think would enhance any performance you see. We were even able to watch part of a rehearsal.

Charlie

Archived