considering a holland america cruise to Mexican Riveria

redsolsticelady

Since you asked for suggestions, permit me to offer one: If you would be more specific about what you want to know, people would find it easier to help you out. You might want to read some of the reviews of this cruise (look on the pages for member reviews of Oosterdam and Ryndam, which are the two ships that do this itinerary most of the time), and take a look at the information about the ships and the itinerary on HAL's website. That might give you a better sense of what specifically you need to know in order to make a good decision.

I haven't been on a Mexican Riviera cruise, so I can't comment on the ports. I also can't compare HAL with the cruise lines you have been on, per your signature. So I can't be very helpful there - sorry.

BUT, what I can say is that DH and I liked our first HAL cruise so much that we booked another one while still on board. The ship (Westerdam) was beautiful and well maintained; the cabin was large and very well appointed, with wonderfully comfortable beds; the food was generally tasty and satisfying; and the service was friendly, efficient, and thoughtful.

People who like glitzy entertainment, lots of activities, vibrant nightlife, or a "party" atmosphere are sometimes disappointed with HAL. But if you are looking for a low-key, elegant atmosphere and a quiet, relaxing vacation, I think you will find a HAL cruise to be just what you wanted.

Take the Oosterdam--fantastic ship!!! Love this cruise!

Agreed - if you're looking into the Mexican Riviera, take the Oosterdam without hesitation - fantastic ship and crew!! We're taking Princess this year just for variety, but we'd happily go back on the 'O' :)

We're also looking at Mexico in April, 12 nights on the Ryndam. We would only have to fly one way and we live about an hour from Vancouver. We did the Mexican Riveria on RC, but much prefer the Hal ships. So far I have only been on the Vista Class , so am looking forward to trying the Ryndam.

Ditto to OTB@C.... The only thing I would add is if you use a TA who has helped you in the past, you may want to ask him/her about HAL and if it is for you. Sometimes a good TA who knows your likes and dislikes can guide you to the proper line.

Barbara

Oosterdam is a beautiful ship. and Cabo is worth the trip, but Mazatlan is a disappointment and Puerto Vallarta is not much better. I you are interested in a great shipboard experience, the Mexican Riviera on Oosterdam is a good idea -- if you want enjoyable ports, try one of HAL's ships in the Eastern or Southern Caribbean (Cozumel, Cancun, Belize, and Roatan are not worth the fare).

I did the Oosterdam MR cruise last march, and I don't think you could go wrong. Plenty of time in each port (half a day in Cabo, but not a heck of lot to DO in Cabo, so that wasn't a problem for us). I'd go back again in a heartbeat! Plus, leaving from San Diego is nice if you can build in a few extra days on either end of your cruise. We spent 3 or 4 nights precruise at the Horton Grande in the Gaslamp district .... fantastic!

After moving back west after living in Florida for a few years, we can't wait to cruise the Mexican Riviera. We can't decide between Princess or HAL but think we'll probably just alternate - Princess one year and HAL the next or vice versa. :)

Archived