Bag the Lifeboat Drill?

scorpiochic

The Me generation?

I find that as ignorant as missing the drill! where did that come from.. the ME generation.. I hope that isn't about us youngins.....I have a friend that went back to iraq 3 times even though he could have retired the military... well he is no longer with us due to heavy fighting in Fallujah ...may he rest in peace! He died there so no more of us will have to die here! I find it very offensive to say something like my generation isn't as good as yours!! I've been hearing for so long about the golden generation... Any time someone puts everyone into one stereotypical boat you can just as well forget what they have to say... I'd like you to tell my friends parents that he is from the lazy no good generation... careful what you say... you will depend on us for social security and legislation that protects seniors when they loose their voice... off my soap box....

but back to the topic... if it really kills you to wait for the drill... go after a few minutes so that they start shortly after youll arrive.this way your not standing there for 15 minutes before they start. I can feel the heat coming for even suggesting this..( oh but then i have to wait for you) .. true.. but what did you expect from the ME generation....Cruises are for fun... don't let others always negative views and comment disrupt your cruise... there are more of us then them anyway!

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. The op was probably not meaning to include everyone with their generalization of the "me generation" but you have to admit that their are young people out there who do think like that, you probably even know some of them. I know I know some people like that and it does get on my nerves at times. However why make everyone else wait when you could speed up the whole process by just following the rules.

Don't skip it, it takes more energy to 'hide' than to just go. It's not like you can't bring water/cocktails with you.

I love going, it's the most entertaining time to take photos of complete strangers. :p

When you are at the muster-drill, they check off your cabin number. If you miss the drill, you are required to go to a "make-up" session. You really don't gain anything by missing the drill, there is nothing to do but hear the alarm going off if you stay in your cabin.

That said, some ships have muster drills that are less painful than others. Sometimes you luck out and you need to report to an airconditioned area of the ship. . .instead of waiting in the 90 plus degree heat.

THERE IS NO PLACE YOU CAN HIDE...!

I will admit the wife and I were tardy getting out of the cabin... I think she felt the bright orange vest clashed with her blouse and was looking to change... :rolleyes:

Anyway, as we were leaving the cabin and headed down the hall, the steward and his crew were opening and inspecting EVERY cabin and shooing guests out that may have decided to "bag the lifeboat drill"...

Gat a couple of the "DOD's" and meet/greet your fellow travelers...:D

Acutually we had an aft corner bakcony cabin and they only opened the and we were around the corner sipping sparkeling wine.

• 9 months later...
NO. Muster drill is mandatory. Safety is important for everyone. Each ship and each cabin area on each ship has a different muster station. If there's an emergency, skipping muster drill could prove to be the worst decision you ever made.

and as they get your name and cabin number they KNOW who skipped. Those who missed are required to do a make up drill on the first sea day.

How many of you seasoned cruisers bag the standard lifeboat drill and stay in the room? Any rituals??????

Why would you not go? Its inplace for everyones safety incase of an emergency?! It takes 30 minutes at the most so why not go so you know what to do and where you need to go incase something ever does happen.

I have never skipped it in 24 cruises and I have heard that if your caught (they check cabin numbers attending) you are asked to a very special munster drill just for you guys at another time. So take your chances but it seems pointless to me since nothing is open or available bc everyone is at their station even the staff.

AS much as I hate them, espeically in terrible heat I would never avoid them. I have been on a cruise where the engine room did start on fire and it was 2am in the morning. We were dangling in lifeboats for several hours so it paid to know where to go. It was not a fun experience but I am glad I knew what to do..

When I evade the drill I may not be able to get to the proper station in a real emergency. So the crew will have to try to determine who is missing and someone will be dispatched to find me. Deciding to "bag the drill" means that I have made a decision for two lives, mine and the person who will be sent to locate me. But that's OK, I wasn't inconvenienced and managed to "put one over" on the crew on departure day.

Lets just go to the drill and don't try to be clever and "outfox" the procedure; it takes more effort to find a way to avoid it than it takes to do it.

When I get on an airplane I count the number of seat rows between me and the two nearest exits; when I get to a hotel I count the number of doors between me and the two nearest fire exits; when I get on a cruiseship I go the lifeboat drill. My life is worth something to me and a few minutes is little enough to invest in preserving it.

Going or not going to the drill is a lot like lying or telling the truth. Its easier to tell the truth, you don't have to remember what you lie you used last time. Just go to the drill, its for your own good and it might just save your life, and that of someone else, someday.

I'm sure someone will find a way to take umbrage at this but that's life.

John

Proud member of the Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas Plughole Society

Thank you John!! I couldn't have said that better....

PP Just do it, learn something.... who knows, you could make a friend on the way...... anyone for a cocktail?!??!?

When you are at the muster-drill, they check off your cabin number. If you miss the drill, you are required to go to a "make-up" session. .

For those who "missed' the first muster drill.... Their names should be announced over the entire ship, for all to hear. Notes placed on their doors for everyone to see 'how special they are'.

And the last ones to be allowed to go in the lifeboats if there is an emergency. Like on the Titanic.

For those who "missed' the first muster drill.... Their names should be announced over the entire ship, for all to hear. Notes placed on their doors for everyone to see 'how special they are'.

Yeah right! You can always tell the new cruisers from the seasoned ones bc they are always the ones with the whistles in their mouth blowing it for all to see and hear!? LOL:rolleyes:

We always laugh at the people blowing the whistles especially the little kids that don't know any better! I personally LOVE the drill! It's sooo funny to see everyone in bright orange life jackets and even better when your in port and see the boat next to you doing it! haha

A few years back when we got to our stateroom, I checked the lifejackets and there were none for the children. Being in a suite we called and asked for the butler to visit (also a way to meet him/her). A good hour or two went passed and still no visit. We went to the drill, got back and saw a note that read 'I called, but you were out!' - pray where did they think we were!!!

We always laugh at the people blowing the whistles especially the little kids that don't know any better! I personally LOVE the drill! It's sooo funny to see everyone in bright orange life jackets and even better when your in port and see the boat next to you doing it! haha

I remember that on the Disney Wonder. Across from us was Mariner of the Seas, also doing their drill. I liked that. Misery loves company-huh!

Of the six cruises I've been on, only attended one muster drill. Wife and I figure as long as you know where your station is, all the other info is going to be the same.

How do you manage that??????? they take down your stateroom number and name at the drill, on all the lines I have been on-so I do not see how you manage to skip it-there is a make up drill the first sea day.

I personally don't mind the drill. It is good information on where to be in case of an emergency. Plus the muster drill always indicates we are about to get underway and my cruise vacation has finally begun. I also like to people watch. I figure everyone looks equally silly so it may be the best time to make a new friend or two.

Archived