Butlers

hairdog

We just finished our 5th cruise with butlers. They are, in my opinion, an enhancement to our cruising experience. They are usually your first line of contact for anything your might want or need. They are an invaluable source of information and service. We use ours to serve breakfast in the suite every morning (we cruise with children, its just easier). They have served us dinner on evenings we just didn't feel like getting ready to go to the dining room. They have added little special touches for my two boys (age 7 and 10). We expressed our dislike for the small canapes, and ours brought us sushi or shrimp cocktails every evening. They handle our laundry, act as a go between for us and the room steward, they just always seem to be where I/we need them to be. They just become like a member of the family for the time we travel. We are always sad to leave the ship without them!

I, too, would say that the butlers do enhance the cruise. I have now experienced 3 different butlers and our last, Rikki, was the consumate butler. He has spoiled us forever. Yes, a butler will run interference if there is a problem. They are wonderful.

The first time we had a butler was years ago on Royal Cruise Lines (now out of business) and we had been upgraded to a suite at no charge! I wondered what I would do with a butler--but I found out--they are PRICELESS. On that cruise my husband forgot to bring a lot of slacks and he spilled stuff on the one pair he brought--the butler took it down and had them cleaned and brought them right back.

In later years we never go without a room that has a butler. They make sure you have reservations for any alternate restaurant. We too have had Ricky--I think on the Constellation--I forget. He is the consummate wonder man. I told him I liked shrimp and by the end of the cruise the refrigerator in the butler's pantry in our suite was full of shrimp. He took care of just everything.

Wonderful experience--go for it!

We experienced our first butler on our last trip on the Summit in November. We had the good fortune of having Darrell as our butler. He took such good care of us, bringing us shrimp and veggie trays instead of canapes (without asking). He was such a welcome addition to our cabin crew and worked wonderfully with our room steward. A great experience that just added to our excellent cruise.

Archived