How to bring liquor home

par5n3

We used bubble wrap last year and one of the bottles broke in the luggage. For our upcoming cruise we decided to try something new and in addition to the bubble wrap we purchased bottle shippers from our local Christmas store at Christmas time. These are thick cardboard single, double or triple liquor bottle holders. We purchased several singles so as to make it easier to pack in our luggage.

I'll report back if they work or not.

We have not bought any liquor since the change went into effect.

We're going on a cruise out of San Juan soon and know they have duty free stores AFTER airport security that sell liquor you can carry on board the planes. This will work for us since we have a direct flight home. I guess it would also work for connections as long as one doesn't have to go through security in the connecting airport.

We wrap each bottle in bubble wrap and then put a few bottles in the jumbo ziplock bags. This "package" gets cushioned by our dirty laundry. We have done this two or three times, with no problems. Just remember to leave enough room for the bottles when you pack for the trip and don't forget that they will add some significant weight to the bag.

Bubble wrap as others have suggested works great, however, also tighten the cap as best you can as I had a couple leak. FYI the cork tops can leak also and there is no way to prevent that but ziplock bags would keep the mess contained.

And for what its worth...... Customs nailed me at 13 litres over but let me through at 11. :)

Don't laugh, everybody needs a hobby.

My advice for air travelers is know what your luggage weighs inbound, and unless you have left things behind, the bottles will add pounds easily and they have to go into checked luggage.

We travel at max weight, so coming back home with bottles is tricky for us to avoid the extra weight charges. We have had to shift luggage contents to balance weight, and at other times have been allowed to get by on a nod and a wink. We always have ziplock bags so the bottles go right in and we hope for the best! :)

With the current airline regulations re carrying liquids on board, how do you bring liquor purchased in the islands home? Do the stores have a shipping carton that can be checked through?

All the Duty Free shops ashore and aboard will box your purchases for you. The current limit for checked luggage is 5 liters per person. And it will count as one of your checked bags. Some airlines still allow three checked bags, some only two per person. Liquor cannot be carried aboard Domestic flights unless it is purchased after security, and that is usually only applicable to International flights.

Bubble wrap as others have suggested works great, however, also tighten the cap as best you can as I had a couple leak. FYI the cork tops can leak also and there is no way to prevent that but ziplock bags would keep the mess contained.

Brought back 4 bottles of Curacao in the same way and one of the did leak a little. :eek:The ziplock bag saved us.: :D

All the Duty Free shops ashore and aboard will box your purchases for you. The current limit for checked luggage is 5 liters per person. And it will count as one of your checked bags. Some airlines still allow three checked bags, some only two per person. Liquor cannot be carried aboard Domestic flights unless it is purchased after security, and that is usually only applicable to International flights.

Also do not forget that the bottles can be very heavy and put your bags over the 50lb weight limit. International flights are getting very tough on over weight bags and the extra cost can be more than the savings on the licquor.:eek:

I may go a bit overboard in packing liquor for our checked luggage. However, in many cruises since the new flight regs came in we have not had a broken bottle yet and normally bring home 3 -4 bottles per cruise.

I have saved the carboard liquor boxes from previous cruises. I flatten the boxes and put them in the bottom of our luggage when I pack for our next cruise. I also back a travel roll of duct tape, a roll of bubble and several zip lock bags large enough to fit around the cardboard boxes.

When ready to pack to come home from the cruise I wrap each bottle of booze in bubble wrap and place each bottle into a zip lock bag. That bottle is then placed in a cardboard liquor box, only one bottle to a box. I stuff extra empty plastic boxes (or even dirty underwear) inside to ensure the bottle won't rattle around in the box and then put the entire box in another ziplock bag.

The boxes are nestled in the center of our luggage (I try to put just one box per suitcase) for the flight home.

Haven't had an accident yet - knock on wood.

Dianne

Thanks for all the replies and ideas. We are only planning on bringing a couple of bottles back so I guess the best idea is packing in with dirty laundry to cushion the bottles. Will be sure to pack bubble wrap, tape and plastic ziplock bags. Only 48 days to go!

Thanks for all the replies and ideas. We are only planning on bringing a couple of bottles back so I guess the best idea is packing in with dirty laundry to cushion the bottles. Will be sure to pack bubble wrap, tape and plastic ziplock bags. Only 48 days to go!

Sounds like a great plan.

Wishes from me to you for smooth sails and good returns (on your bottles).:D

Dianne

Archived