Return rental car to EWR or Jersey City before cruise from Cape Liberty?

NancyIL

My husband will attend a conference in New Brunswick, NJ that ends at noon the day we sail out of Cape Liberty in October. We'll have a Hertz rental car, so should we return the car to the airport and take a taxi to the port from there, or drop-off the car in Jersey City? Jersey City is 2.5 miles closer to the port, but would it be harder (and take longer) to get to the port from there?

I would check with the car rental company, since it's only 2.5 miles maybe they can drop you off. I know they did that for us in Miami, but hey, this is Jersey.:D

NJcruisemom.

The Hertz location in Jersey City is 8.65 miles from the port, which is 2.5 miles closer than the airport to the port. The cruise isn't for 9 months, so I have lots of time to make arrangements. Just wondered if it was better to return the car to a known location at the airport and take a taxi, or drop-off in Jersey City.

Drop it off at the airport. Not only will it be much easier to find, but you will have much better availability of taxis or car service from the airport to the port.

If it is the Hertz agency I am thinking of in Jersey City, it is fairly close to Exchange Place, which is the BIG transit facility for the PATH and other transportation. There is VERY limited parking down there, the streets are relatively narrow, you will have to side street it all the way from the Turnpike Extension into Jersey City and if you get lost, there won't be many people to help you, places to turn around, or stop for directions. Lots of one way streets in that area.

When you leave New Brunswick, head north on the Jersey Trnpike-I-95. Follow the signs for the airport and rental car return. Then take the AirTrain back to the first airport departure area the train stops at and get a taxi.

Even though it may be 2 miles closer from Jersey City, it will take longer to drive. There is NO easy way from Jersey City close to the water to Bayonne. Lots of side street driving from the Hertz agency . It is an easier drive to the port from the airport, IMHO. Almost all freeway, unless the driver takes the back streets.

Thanks, greatam! I thought the airport return was probably the best way to go, but wanted to hear from those familiar with the area. We definitely won't have the time to get lost in Jersey City! I've read that a taxi for 2 between the airport and the port will be about $45. RCI's transfers are $25/pp - so we'll consider that as well.

• 3 weeks later...

How long of a drive is it from the airport to the Port. We too will have a rental car that needs to be returned to Newark Airport before our cruise. However, we will be four people with lots of luggage, so would it make sense for my husband to drop me and the kids at the Port with the luggage and then go back and return the car and take a taxi back?

Thanks.

Archived