Bayonne help

leprechaun2

You can either stay at any of the hotels around Newark Airport and then just get a cab over to the pier. Or if you want something a bit more in poulated places with restaurants, etc. you should look at Jersey City where there is a Hyatt and numberoous other airports. From there as well you'd just call a cab to get to Bayonne the next day.

Personally I would stay in Jersey City as it offers more options and a comfortable environment as the hotels around EWR tend to be "isolated" and are really just designed for people staying overnight before a flight.

The Marriott at the Newark Airport is OK (as long as you don't smoke-all Marriott's are non-smoking). Most of the other hotels around the Newark Airport are really, really bad. Even my truck drivers REFUSE to stay at the Best Western, Hampton Inn and Econo Lodge-lots of late night door knocks and it's NOT room service.

There are a whole bunch of new hotels/motels around Jersey Gardens Mall-Country Inn and Suites, Courtyard, Extended Stay America, etc. etc. Not only do you have the mall, but you have a couple of places to eat, which you do not have around the airport. Here's a list: http://hotel-guides.us/new-jersey/elizabeth-nj-hotels.html

Jersey City is a great place to stay. However, none of the hotels have an airport van, so taxi/car service will cost $40-50 each way to the hotel and then to the pier.

Another place to look at-Secaucus. Priceline-Meadowlands area-3+*-usually less than $100 per night. And you USUALLY get the Sheraton (once in a while the Radisson). The Sheraton does have a van to take you to and from the airport.

Transport from the airport to the port is about $45.

PS-the new hotels close to the Newark Airport are all on Glimacher Realty Way, NOT on Spring St.

Please check the East Coast Departures forum-lots of info, hotels, places to eat around EWR and the port.

Thanks for the pre-cruise info. Now, what is the best way to get from the pier back to the airport? Does RCI have a shuttle? Or do any of the airlines have a shuttle? How much time should I allow for the trip from pier to airport? Thanks, you all are terrific!

Is there a good supply of Taxis to get from the port back to EWR? or should we really look into the transfer with RCI? I really hate the bus and waiting for it to fill but if Taxis are not readily available want to be prepared for something else.

We have transportation from EWR to hotel and from hotel to port already. We are staying in Midtown and using a car service for both of those.

Thanks! this section has been very helpful as this is a new port for us. I am looking forward to seeing some of NYC in the 2 days we are coming in early!

The Marriott at the Newark Airport is OK (as long as you don't smoke-all Marriott's are non-smoking). Most of the other hotels around the Newark Airport are really, really bad. Even my truck drivers REFUSE to stay at the Best Western, Hampton Inn and Econo Lodge-lots of late night door knocks and it's NOT room service.

Agreed.

The parking at Cape Liberty is it covered or open? Also what would cost be for 9 day and 12 day crusie?

The parking is open at Cape Liberty - they use a shuttle to get you back to check-in. You drop off your bags and people first, then the driver goes to park - anywhere, walking or taking shuttle back. Cost is $15.00 per day - they take charge cards. Then everyone checks in -- (small hut) -- then everyone takes a different shuttle (they run consistently) to the ship where you walk on as if you were in a port (they also take wheelchairs and scooters on these shuttle buses) - it's about 3/4 mile away from check-in area and shuttle bus is the only way there.

When you come out, driver gets car and everyone tries to pick up at loading area - a little zooie, but it works. A lot faster and cheaper than taking a taxi. V.

a cab is the easiest way......fare from the a/p or EWR area hotels should be 40-50 bucks.....

there are 3 hotels (actually 4..) on Glimcher Realty way and they are all fine.....I have heard that the Country Inn and suites offers a park and cruise, but you have to call the hotel direct. Also, there is a Residence Inn by Marriott and a Courtyard by Marriott there. The 4th is an extended stay amerca there as well....but i tend to skip those since they don't even give you shampoo or tissues!

I have stayed in teh Courtyard, Country Inn and Residence Inn at various times and they are fine! Again, make sure you choose Newark/Elizabeth and Glmicher Realty Way.

In addition, there is an outlet mall across the street and a Ruby Tuesday in the parking lot! The other hotels, except the full service marriott, are really lacking for food choice...and eating at the airport is out of the question since 95% of the food is AFTER security!

HTH

a cab is the easiest way......fare from the a/p or EWR area hotels should be 40-50 bucks.....

there are 3 hotels (actually 4..) on Glimcher Realty way and they are all fine.....I have heard that the Country Inn and suites offers a park and cruise, but you have to call the hotel direct. Also, there is a Residence Inn by Marriott and a Courtyard by Marriott there. The 4th is an extended stay amerca there as well....but i tend to skip those since they don't even give you shampoo or tissues!

I have stayed in teh Courtyard, Country Inn and Residence Inn at various times and they are fine! Again, make sure you choose Newark/Elizabeth and Glmicher Realty Way.

In addition, there is an outlet mall across the street and a Ruby Tuesday in the parking lot! The other hotels, except the full service marriott, are really lacking for food choice...and eating at the airport is out of the question since 95% of the food is AFTER security!

HTH

As previously mentioned, the Country Inn and Suites does have a sleep and cruise program. We, too, will be driving to NJ and needed one night's lodging before our cruise. I booked a room at the Country Inn and Suites in Elizabeth NJ for our summer cruise out of Bayonne and even though I have not yet stayed there, I can tell you what I know so far. The package is $195 plus a 20% tax, includes 2 roundtrip vouchers to the port and back, continental breakfast (I think maybe a buffet), 8 days of parking. We are a family of four and will be able to buy 2 additional vouchers at the desk. Also, our cruise is nine days and they provide additional parking at $15 a day. Checkin is at 3 pm. The phone number is 908-282-0020.

I looked into several hotels and have determined that staying elsewhere , driving to the pier and paying $144 parking (or taking taxis both ways from the hotel and paying hotel parking ) will ultimately be about the same price. This hotel seems to be getting very good reviews. It is in a good, safe location, provides breakfast, and a hassle-free way to get to the port.

Hope this information is helpful.

The parking is open at Cape Liberty - they use a shuttle to get you back to check-in. You drop off your bags and people first, then the driver goes to park - anywhere, walking or taking shuttle back. Cost is $15.00 per day - they take charge cards. Then everyone checks in -- (small hut) -- then everyone takes a different shuttle (they run consistently) to the ship where you walk on as if you were in a port (they also take wheelchairs and scooters on these shuttle buses) - it's about 3/4 mile away from check-in area and shuttle bus is the only way there.

When you come out, driver gets car and everyone tries to pick up at loading area - a little zooie, but it works. A lot faster and cheaper than taking a taxi. V.

This sounds like the plan that will work best for me. I would probably want to drop my mother, son, and luggage off first then meet back up with them after I've parked. Is the garage secure? (meaning - no theft)

athere are 3 hotels (actually 4..) on Glimcher Realty way and they are all fine.....I have heard that the Country Inn and suites offers a park and cruise, but you have to call the hotel direct. Also, there is a Residence Inn by Marriott and a Courtyard by Marriott there.

Are these hotels anywhere near the PATH station please?

Click here on the Cruise Liberty website, scroll down and you will find links and info to available transportation including cans in port area. RCCL does offer transfers to Newark airport and you can purchase them on the ship at Guest relations on deck 5 a couple of days before cruise ends.:)

http://www.cruiseliberty.com/dirpark.htm

Suzanne

• 2 weeks later...
This sounds like the plan that will work best for me. I would probably want to drop my mother, son, and luggage off first then meet back up with them after I've parked. Is the garage secure? (meaning - no theft)

It's a big gated lot area - not patrolled as far as I know, but the only cars there would be for RCL and the only ship there is the Explorer (unless Oct. when Constellation is in). We've been there 3 times - never a problem. I have heard however of problems with people who parked and got spray paint (from ship maintenance) on their car -- it's very large, a freight/industrial area and no one and nothing is there. It's about a mile from the road to where the parking is. Again - drop off first, then come around and driver parks. Have fun. V.

Archived