Amtrak out of Harrisburg & NYC terminal questions

Sayyadina

My mother and I are going to be going to New York to pick up the E'dam in August. I know, we have some time, but I'm a control freak and I have some questions about the NYC cruise terminal and Amtrak that maybe someone can answer:

We're thinking of taking the train from Harrisburg, PA. Anyone have any experience with the Harrisburg-NYC run? Have they ever run late? Very late?

Also, I've never purchased train tickets before and I'm assuming the prices will fluctuate just like anything else. Any tips on this? Do they usually get more pricey the closer you get, or is it the opposite?

Judging from the map, the NYC cruise terminal is big (we picked up the Maasdam in Norfolk, and the terminal wasn't so big). Are the HAL ships usually in the same place?

Thanks much!

Jody

I'm from York, Pa. I have taken the Hal bus from Harrisburg which takes you right to the pier in NY. It costs about $80.00 per person. My daughter and I took the bus last Jan from Harrisburg right to NY pier. It was cheap, comfortable and so easy. Have your TA contact Hal for you and get some info. This is much better than taking the train. Adele:o

longtimecruiser has given you wise advice. If for some reason you

do train it, I believe the NYC terminal is at West 34 Street; HAL

docks at the very west 50's so it would be easy to go out the

8th ave exit where taxi stands pull up & get to your terminal.

Adele has given you great advise. The bus is the way to go...we are taking it for the 2nd time from Boston.

Once the driver loads your bags on the bus, you won't see them again until they are in your stateroom! Another plus! ;)

Amtrak owns most of the rails it runs on in the "Northeast Corridor" (Washington to Boston) and as such the train schedules are much more reliable. I don't think you need to worry much about being too late. Take the bus if you want (as suggested above) but I'd go by rail. Then again....I love trains so I'm probably biased. :)

I have to chip in and agree with longtimecruiser. Using the bus you have much less luggage schlepping. I looked for your date and it would cost you $94 for two. Ride is about 3 1/2 hours and it looks like a train leaves every hour from 8am on. Then you have to figure about 10-15 cab fare. And that is one way. Another thing to consider is when you return. I believe the HAL bus cost is roundtrip. It's nice to be able to get off the ship, get your luggage and know there is a bus waiting for you. No hassle finding a cab.

We did the train to NYC from Baltimore a few years ago. The only problem was there was no one to help with luggage on the train. We had to go from car to car to find a seat carrying luggage while the train was moving. We had to go all the way to the front of the train, bumping into people as we were walking. I knew my husband was getting angry. The last car which was really the first car, was a quiet car (no talking, cell phones, or anything that made a noise. I almost burst out laughing because my husband couldn't say anything about the problem. By the time we got to New York he was able to laugh about it. We used the Greyhoung bus the last couple of times.

Tickets for the train won't fluctuate based on capacity. They have made improvements on the Northeast Corridor over the last few years, so the service is more reliable. However; during the summer, the overhead wires have a bigger tendency to have issues, such as falling due to the heat and sagging because of the heat. What this means is that if an overhead wire is ripped down - you are stuck for at least 3 - 4 hours. Also, once you arrive in NY Penn Station, you still need to get over to the terminal by cab. There is no one to help you with your bags onboard the train, it's not a long haul train so there is no baggage car and the conductors, for the most part, won't help you either.

I personally enjoy trains, so this info is to not deter you, but to try to show any potential issues with taking the train to NYC. Good luck.

The train will be significantly more expensive (especially when factoring in cab fare and such) than the HAL bus service from Harrisburg, plus the added nuisance of haivng to schlep your bags to and from the train station, pier, etc. If you can't get the bus service through HAL, call Boscov's in Camp Hill; I believe they run bus service for NYC cruises from there, as well. (Added bonus of Boscov's is that I believe you can park there for free; if you park near the bus terminal in Harrisburg, you'll have to pay a daily rate for parking.)

We took the HAL bus from Harrisburg for our October 2007 Noordam trip from NYC; the round-trip bus tickets were $89 per person (I think they may be up to $99 now), and the entire experience could not have been more convenient... we were dropped off right at the pier and didn't have to handle our luggage AT ALL once it was loaded on the bus. It was very nice to not have to worry about how to get from a train staion to the pier, keeping an eye on the luggage, etc. I would highly recommend to bus!!!

I agree that HAL's Homecity Bus is preferable to the train if it's available for your cruise---but I doubt it is. The HAL bus has only been available for the Noordam in recent years---no other ship sailing out of NYC. The OP is taking the E-dam.

If the Homecity Bus is not available I would consider intercity bus service over the train. Trains can need to stop for several hours for unforseen reasons---you hear about it often enough to think about it. If you do decide to take the train you might want to consider going the day before.

I agree that HAL's Homecity Bus is preferable to the train if it's available for your cruise

Yes, this is was part of my concern with the HAL Bus as well. My DM was interested in the train until I mentioned the bus and how care-free everyone was saying it was. But if it is not available, then probably the train is our best bet. I'd hate for my DF or DH to do the 12-hour round trip drive for us...twice in 3 days. :(

I don't think anyone answered this for you...

You'll have no problem finding the cruise ship at the terminal. It's really not that big and just be sure to avoid getting on the Carnival Miracle as it will also be in port that day.

I know it's only a 3 day cruise but hauling around luggage in Penn Station can be a pain as there are tons of stairs, and not many elevators/escalators. So be aware of that if you decide that you're going to take the train.

If you have the choice, I'd take the Homeport Bus.....in fact we'll be on it from Harrisburg on the 26th of this month. I am so looking forward to putting my luggage on the bus and forgetting about it until it shows up in my cabin.

We sailed on the Miracle, May 2007 and we took the AMTRAK up. It was not easy......dragging the luggage down the steps at the train station in Harrisburg.....finding a train car with room for both of us and our luggage before it took off without us.......collecting it again and getting in line to get a taxi in the rain for a 20 minute wait....then it took us 45 minutes in the taxi to get to the pier (It's only a couple of miles) due to traffic. If you do use the AMTRAK, allow plenty of time between the train station and the pier just in case. The train was on time, but I'm glad we got to NYC with plenty of time left before we had to be at the pier.

OK here is some advice from a Kiwi, who booked Amtrak on the internet, its damn expensive. We went to New Jersey from Washington. Then when I looked up prices to get to NYC on a Friday, wow the fare had doubled, we were only going one way to join the Grand Princes out of NYC and flying back from Quebec City. We took Washington Deluxe bus for $20 each, and we had a really neat and pleasant 4 1/2 journey fomr DC. I think I would bus anytime now when I am in the US.

Val

As a Harrisburg resident who takes the NYC train twice a week - every week - I can be of some help regarding the Amtrak option.

The price for a one-way ticket using AAA or any other code (widely available online) will be $42 (so make that $84 round trip).

Regarding finding seats ... it might be a bit more difficult to find a seat while picking the train up post-Harrisburg, but while boarding (you are the first stop ... ) there are entire CARS empty and available. You will have to take your luggage down about 14 steps, then roll over to the train where you can place at the end of the car (about five steps inside ... no step up here). There will be plenty of room for your luggage there, and in the overhead bins that are much larger than in an airplane.

The train is on time 98 percent of the time (Amtrak numbers), because Amtrak owns the entire line from Harrisburg to NYC. They have no right-of-way issues with freight trains. Also, the tracks were updated last year and are entirely electric so there is no engine switch in Philadelphia any longer.

The ride will be 3:15-3:35 (depending on which train you take) and will be pleasant ... comfortable seats with lots of legroom and a/c power for laptops, etc. at ever seat.

When you arrive at Penn Station in NYC, you will have to take your luggage up two sets of esculators to the street level, where you will easily get a cab for about $10 to the Manhattan piers.

Hope this helps.

I have not taken AMTRAK from PA to NYC in a while and my only observation was going to be about the engine switch in Philly - which they apparently no longer need to do. Your trip isn't in the winter, so you won't be impacted by snow (I did commute along the PA "mainline" and the morning/evening runs were often no particularly punctual).

If you are not a "train person" maybe this isn't the trip to try it? On the otherhand, why not treat yourself to a night at the theater and take the train in as a "dry run" and decide for yourself.

I would rather be on a train than in a bus any day!

Archived