Shiplife - Life of a Carnival Crewmember

DJ Eddy

Wow...what a great q&a - you guys are awesome for doing this!

Have you ever encountered anyone 'famous' onboard? ...any idea how bands that do 'fan-cruises', like the Barenaked Ladies, 'hideout' onboard while cruising with 2000 of their fans?!

What is the most outrageous thing you've seen an overly-intoxicated passenger do onboard? (and does it surprise you that the occasional few go overboard?!)

I left my passport and some pictures in my cabin once and they were mailed back to me (they attributed the quick return to my filling out the funpass)... and I have had things that I left behind on deck and I picked them up at the pursers desk... I've also had friends leave cameras behind and a few were able to get them back after the cruise... just wanted to post my experience :)

Wow, remind me not to ask you to hold anything for me :p

DJ Eddy,

First, thank you so much for your willingness to entertain so many questions.

I cruised on the Fascination and a wonderful band played in the Passage to India. I was wondering if there might be a web site or way to find out when and what ships the bands are playing on???...and the DJ's for that matter :D

Thanks so much,

Ann

Not that I know of

Security - Depending on the port/country, we get searched, our bags and shoes (even socks sometimes) get sent through the x-ray machine and we go through the usual metal detector.

Wow - this thread has certainly died down the last day or so!!!

Here is another question - WHY do crew members have to remove their shoes while passengers don't? That makes no sense to me...

marcia014: I was wondering what was going on myself! Seems like people have all their questions answered and are no longer interested... such a shame although djeddy might be relieved! :D

djeddy: thanks once more for all your info. I've thoroughly enjoyed it!

Thank you for offering to answer questions Eddy. Is it customary for the room stewards to refuse to remove items from the refrigerator so we can store some of our goodies in there? This happened to us and really upset us since we had no use for any of the cold drinks but wanted to store our diet foods in there. We have never had much luck with the room stewards. Everyone else is great. Is it because we don't tip on the first day? Is it something to do with what they might not like about our personal items? We are regular folks and have nothing out of the ordinary, really.

Thanks Eddy & Simon for taking the time to satisfy our curiosity!

We just returned from an 8 day on the Spirit and had 15 in our party. 1 cabin was on deck 1, another on deck 4 and the rest of us on deck 7. Those on deck 1 didn't even know who their steward & assistant were. The service was exceedingly poor. Those on deck 4 met their steward, but rarely saw him/her and had mediocre service, even though they spent a lot of time in the area of their cabin. On deck 7, our steward & assistant were open, friendly, regularly present, and went out of their way to make sure we were cared for.

It raised the question of how stewards are assigned. It seemed that the lower you were on the ship, the poorer the service. Do you guys know anything about this?

Thanks for all the info Eddy and Simon,

I love going on cruises, One of my favourite passtimes is learning about the crew's family back home. It makes me sad to think of a Mom or Dad away from their kids for so long. I know they do it for the little bit of money, but it is still sad. When we write great things about people on our question cards, are they shown what we wrote?

I met a girl from the purser's desk, she was amazing, she helped me out while on a tour. I was so impressed that a worker would spend her off hours with me . I have never met any Carnival workers that weren't amazingly awesome, that is probably why we continue to sail with Carnival. I gave her a tip on the last morning, would she have been able to keep it? I always keep tips on my S&S, but give extra and say " Phone home".

Thanks again, I'll stop by the second week of March. We have had enough snow, and are in dire need of a break.

Brenda

Hi Eddy, Not sure if you have the answer or not but I will give it a shot. I have read about peeps bringing a gift for their room stewart ie. box of candy, calling cards ect. to give them for doing a fine job. OK, here's my question ~ Do you know what what the best gift to give would be to give? Of course, this would be on top of the s&s tip and some extra cash! Thanks for the info! Sailing on the Glory 3/1!

Thanks Eddy & Simon for taking the time to satisfy our curiosity!

We just returned from an 8 day on the Spirit and had 15 in our party. 1 cabin was on deck 1, another on deck 4 and the rest of us on deck 7. Those on deck 1 didn't even know who their steward & assistant were. The service was exceedingly poor. Those on deck 4 met their steward, but rarely saw him/her and had mediocre service, even though they spent a lot of time in the area of their cabin. On deck 7, our steward & assistant were open, friendly, regularly present, and went out of their way to make sure we were cared for.

It raised the question of how stewards are assigned. It seemed that the lower you were on the ship, the poorer the service. Do you guys know anything about this?

I always believe a good room steward is one you never see. They are not supposed to be seen, they know your schedule and work around your schedule. How was their service poor?

Wow...what a great q&a - you guys are awesome for doing this!

Have you ever encountered anyone 'famous' onboard? ...any idea how bands that do 'fan-cruises', like the Barenaked Ladies, 'hideout' onboard while cruising with 2000 of their fans?!

What is the most outrageous thing you've seen an overly-intoxicated passenger do onboard? (and does it surprise you that the occasional few go overboard?!)

There have been some country groups on a few cruises and some nascar drivers (being from the UK I don't really know who they are)... one cruise was a cruise with country groups including Cross Canadian Ragweed who were doing concerts on Lido, they were very popular. As for them hiding from their fans... I don't know, I suppose that's up to their co-ordinators & the ship's gruops co-ordinator to sort out.

The most famous people I have met are Tito Jackson & The Temptations on the Conquest in Sept/Oct time in 06. I'm just waiting for Beyonce to cruise, i'll play any song she likes in the disco ;) ... somehow I think she could probably afford her own yacht so she wouldn't go on a "fun ship" vacation.

The most outrageous thing i've seen a passenger do is as I mentioned beofre about they guy getting drunk and trying to ride in a lifeboat.

WHY do crew members have to remove their shoes while passengers don't? That makes no sense to me...

It's just a security thing, don't honestly know they're just the rules. My guess would be to stop any illegal substances (drugs etc) from getting onboard. Also with the crew being multinational you can't dismiss a possible terrorist threat... i'm not saying that people apply to work on carnival and are terrorists but there's a slim chance that could potentially happen, or is that me being paranoid?

Thank you for offering to answer questions Eddy. Is it customary for the room stewards to refuse to remove items from the refrigerator so we can store some of our goodies in there? This happened to us and really upset us since we had no use for any of the cold drinks but wanted to store our diet foods in there. We have never had much luck with the room stewards. Everyone else is great. Is it because we don't tip on the first day? Is it something to do with what they might not like about our personal items? We are regular folks and have nothing out of the ordinary, really.

I can't answer this i'm afriad... I honestly don't know. Maybe it may depend on room steward to room steward or maybe that's what they have been told by housekeeping managers... I don't have all the answers sorry.

You mentioned that most crew/staff had favorite restaurants in the various ports. Would you share some of yours with us?

Thanks for a very interesting thread!

Ok then...

Key West - Hoagies (I think it's called) great steak, seafood etc (their crab cakes are on-par with the supper club)

Cozumel - La Parroquia, it's down a backstreet behind the main square in the downtown area, a little green place up some stairs. You wouldn't know it was there by walking past it but it does the best chicken fajitas in the world for $6 and the drinks... fishbowl margaritas & daquiris for $5... and they're not tight with the alcohol either. My fave mexican restaturant ever!

If you can't find La Parroquia then La Choza is another popular, good quality fajita place. A bit more expensive then La Parroquia... the secret to La Choza's success is their secret sauce, you can buy bottles of it you know!

Puerto Vallarta - Fajita Republic (in Old P.V.) a really cool looking restaurant with a large fajita menu... very tasty and good value for money, the place to go in P.V.

Grand Cayman - Fidel Murphy's Irish Pub. Carvery's on Weds, Thurs & Friday. Your choice of roast beef, pork or turkey with yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes & veg. They also have a typical Irish/British pub menu featuring some classic British & Irish dishes... including a full English/Irish breakfast (the ultimate fry-up). Oh yeah, that and Kilkenny's on draught. My English home away from home.

Also in Grand Cayman, there is a Thai & Sushi restaurant just a few doors down from Fidel Murphy's... can't remember the name of it (I think it's Thai Orchid) but the food there is good... but quite expensive (it is Grand Cayman after all)

San Juan - Tantra in the town (2 streets behind Senor Frogs). I have mentioned in other threads, this bar/restaurant is my fave place in San Juan. It's an Indian/Latino restaurant and they do nice curries & latin food. They also have a double sided martini menu (my recommendations are the apple pie martini & the swing martini) and live bellydnacing from 9pm onwards. The alternative San Juan.

Also Cherry Blossom in San Juan(it's in Old San Juan next to the Old San Juan hotel... a fair cab ride away). It's a japenese tapenyaki restaraunt where they cook the food on a grill tabke in front of you... very tasty but rather pricey.

Antigua - Napoleon cafe, turn right onto the wooden walkway as soon as you get off the ship and it's halfway down the street on your right, there is a courtyard area with a South African wine bar & a really good ice cream store. Cafe Napoleon does French(ish) cuisine and some of the sandwiches & chowders are really good. This cafe is only open until about 3pm so go for lunch.

Hi Eddy, Not sure if you have the answer or not but I will give it a shot. I have read about peeps bringing a gift for their room stewart ie. box of candy, calling cards ect. to give them for doing a fine job. OK, here's my question ~ Do you know what what the best gift to give would be to give? Of course, this would be on top of the s&s tip and some extra cash! Thanks for the info! Sailing on the Glory 3/1!

I would say any gift you wish to give to your steward would be appreciated. A calling card would be useful... but then again so would cash.

DJ Eddy,

Earlier you posted that private parties can request a DJ play at weddings for example. Would it be possible to arrange for the DJ to play in one of the lounges during a time when it's closed or during an off peak hour to play a few songs for a couple celebrating their anniversary... Could something like that be arranged through the pursers desk or would it be considered to small of a group?

Thanks!

What I truly can't figure out is this fascination that some folks have here about where the tip goes. I'm not being catty or anything, but what difference does it make? I'm genuinely curious why people care so much. OK, tip your ten dollars daily and it goes where it goes, you have fun and just go about your business. Nobody is concerned where our wages go when we get them and we would be offended at the constant calculation about who's dipping into what part of it. Not trying to start anything, but this just seems a bit odd the number of people who geniunely seem to care about this issue.

My concern would be the right person gets my tips. Sorry, I don't want my tip going to the head whatever. Most times I never see that person. I want my money to go to the person that served me so well.

Thank you so much for the great information. Especially for your list of fav restaurants.

We used to go to Las Palmeros in Cozumel..For years..The last time I guess they had changed hands and the ritas were not even close. We will try the new one you suggested.

We'll be there in a week.

Thanks so much

Here is another question - WHY do crew members have to remove their shoes while passengers don't? That makes no sense to me...

Its a requirement from Coast Guard/DHS to ensure that we are not smuggling illegal substances on/off the ship. The fun one is that certain US ports require us to have our socks x-rayed as well.

Simon

I know you will be returing to Liberty in a few days but I heard she is going into Drydock in February. She has been sailing almost three years so she should be refreshed some time this year. There are a group of 8 of us cruising March 1. We will definitely stop by and see youl

Archived