Shiplife - Life of a Carnival Crewmember

DJ Eddy

Eddy, my friends who were disciplined also only gave good advice & said positive things about working onboard but have been told not to post anymore about their company on any boards.

Its sad but true & its the passengers who miss out on hearing about the crew life below stairs, however its probably for the best that they dont know what really goes on in the crew bar :rolleyes:

Very good question Marcia, for me as an ent staff member who the CD is is important. I have worked with 6 different CD's now and i've had good ones & bad ones. I won't name & shame those I didn't like but the best CD I have worked with is Todd Wittmer, who I have worked with twice. He is an excellent boss and a friend of mine aswell as being fantastic with the guests. I will be joining Todd on the freedom in August, he told he wanted me as the DJ on there... we work really well together. The HD (Hotel Director) is not so much of an issue although the HD is the CD's manager.

In terms of picking ships, once you complete your first contract you can request a ship (depending on availability). If you have received good performance reviews then you are more likely to get the ship you requested (I have now for 3 ships) and if you do work well with a prticular CD he/seh can request for you... it's usually the case that a CD can pick his/her staff. John Heald has his team, or so i've been told anyway.

Todd was our CD on our first cruise which was on the Conquest. This guy was everywhere! He was out and about with the guests so much, it was great! I believe he is what made our cruise so enjoyable.... I thought all CD's were like that until I sailed on the Ecstasy and found that not to be true...

English cuisine? Another oxymoron! Just teasing. I spent many years living with an Englishman (he's back home in Hornby, outside Lancaster).

Our DD is now 21 and every time she does something that makes me shake my head, I blame her 1/2 English blood. ;)

My fav is a pint of Old Peculier at the Hill Inn. Haven't been there in several years (somehow, I don't have the time or money to go to Europe now that I'm cruising, and the exchange rate is brutal).

Question re the non-hiring of Americans: what about on European cruiselines, like P&O? Do you know if they're willing to hire Americans since, on their ships, American employees would be foreign?

DD was wondering whether she might be able to get a job on a line sailing out of England as something to do temporarily once she's done with college.

Thanks to all for their contributions to this thread.

2. This is a question I often wonder about myself. Fortunately I don't know the answer as i've never been in a general emergency and I hope it stays that way. I have also heard rumours about it being a free for all. All crewmembers are trained to US coastgurd's regulated guidelines and we are all aware of the procedure if a general emergency occurs. We'll never know how all individuals willr eact until it actually happens... sorry if that isn't actaully an answer and I hope I haven't scared anyone.

Thanks Eddy for answering truthfully about this subject! It's something I worry about each cruise and make sure that me and my loved ones know exactly what to do just in case ... By the way, during this time that we are standing outdoors in the heat waiting for the drill to be over, do they actually check all the rooms to make sure people are at the muster? There have been stories on these boards that some people stay in their cabins, (won't say what they're up too.. ha) etc... What about the 'stars and big-wigs' onboard? Do they go to a separate place to stay away from their fans?

Curious minds want to know... :D And thanks again for answering everyone's questions!!!

I don't know if carnival know I post on here... as for disciplinary action, I think it would rahter silly of carnival to do that. It's not like i'm bashing carnival, just answering questions that people want to know. If anything this is a good PR exercise and carnival should be thankful about all the free advertising and praise they receive on cruise critic. I would kinds laugh if they disciplined me when I sign back on... the truth is if I didn't like my job or hated canirval then I would say negative things on here and probably wouldn't be doing another contract anyway.

Eddy, there have been many Carnival employees post here over the years... we have many that are current members. We've had everyone from Camp Carnival staff, to Cruise Directors... I really don't think it is a problem, why they wouldn't want cruise employees to interact on a cruise forum would be beyond me. Now, there was one that disappeared from the boards, but she was giving out information that shouldn't be given to anyone (she worked in corporate offices), but that is just a wee bit different ;)

1. When I'm in my deck chair and the waiter brings me a drink from the bar, does the 15% tip go to him or the bartender? I usually don't tip extra for his service, but I wonder if I should because I really don't know who gets the automatic tip. I didn't really understand the earlier post on this.

2. When is the best time to tip my cabin steward? I have tried two ways. One is by splitting my tip, giving half at the beginning and the other half at the end; or I just tip at the end. They always seem so busy on that last day and I'm thinking now I just need to tip somewhere in the middle?

3. When I give extra cash tips, do the crew know that this is in addition to my automatic tips? For example, I usually tip my cabin steward and wait staff a few dollars at the end of the cruise. It's not a lot of extra money, but I do what I can. When I give it to them, should I say that this is in addition to my automatic tips? I don't want them to think that I am shorting them.

4. On embarkation day, even if it's before 1:00, sometimes I will drop off my carry on bag in the room and then head up to the Lido deck. I know we aren't supposed to be in our rooms before 1:00, but I'm just dropping it off and getting out of the way, not lingering there. I don't think I'm being a bother, but is this something I should stop doing?

Thank you so much for answering everyone's questions!

As an entertainer of sorts, do you have to do double duty as an employee of the ship. Meaning do you have a secondary job on board or do you simply do your job and call it a day? Me and the wife were discussing this. Seems as though if the cruise lines ever get to thinking about cutting back on expenses that they might make each staff member work a little more behind the scenes as well as their primary.

I have a question about the room stewards. I have thought about taking sticky (Post-It) notes to stick up for the room steward if we have a question or need something instead of calling them (I'm sure they get enough calls) and I thought it would be easier on them and us both if I could just leave a note, that way when they make up the room they could just leave or do whatever we need. My concern however is that maybe all the room stewards might not be able to read English.....and I wouldn't want to make anyone uncomfortable by leaving something they can't understand.

So do you think it is a good idea to just call instead of the note thing?

Thanks

about where DJ Eddy listed one of his TOP FIVE (and you know there has to be a lot more than that, dealing with cruise passengers for a living) pet peeves about people asking questions, while on board, to things that would be obvious if they paid attention (such as asking where the restrooms are, while under the restroom sign :p ).

Yet there have all ready been a handful of people who are skipping to the end of the thread and asking questions that have all ready been asked and answered here? I find it amusing, yet alarming at the same time. ROFLMAO. :D

I have a question about the room stewards. I have thought about taking sticky (Post-It) notes to stick up for the room steward if we have a question or need something instead of calling them (I'm sure they get enough calls) and I thought it would be easier on them and us both if I could just leave a note, that way when they make up the room they could just leave or do whatever we need. My concern however is that maybe all the room stewards might not be able to read English.....and I wouldn't want to make anyone uncomfortable by leaving something they can't understand.

So do you think it is a good idea to just call instead of the note thing?

Thanks

Brooke - I don't want to hijack DJ Eddy's thread - but we do take notepads with us or use the CCL notepads provided for notes to our room steward(ess) for non-emergency items/questions/requests for maintenance. Every day - even if it's nothing more than a "Hi and thanks again for everthing!" note - I leave one for them.

On our last trip, our stewardess replied each day. It became a blast for us to top each other with jokes and fun replies. :D We would meet in the passageways and just crack up!

Do they REALLY read everyone's comments on the comment cards? That's about 2000-3000 per week! It seems like it would be a full time job just to read them. And if I praise (or chastise) a crew member, do they ever find out that someone praised them?

Thanks again to Eddy and other crew members posting on this thread!

Brooke - I don't want to hijack DJ Eddy's thread - but we do take notepads with us or use the CCL notepads provided for notes to our room steward(ess) for non-emergency items/questions/requests for maintenance. Every day - even if it's nothing more than a "Hi and thanks again for everthing!" note - I leave one for them.

On our last trip, our stewardess replied each day. It became a blast for us to top each other with jokes and fun replies. :D We would meet in the passageways and just crack up!

Great, thanks for the reply. I just didn't want to make the steward(ess) feel uncomfortable in the even that he/she might not read English. I think it is a great idea to take the stickys though, I think on my next cruise (which at present is still un-booked) I'll take some.

about where DJ Eddy listed one of his TOP FIVE (and you know there has to be a lot more than that, dealing with cruise passengers for a living) pet peeves about people asking questions, while on board, to things that would be obvious if they paid attention (such as asking where the restrooms are, while under the restroom sign :p ).

Yet there have all ready been a handful of people who are skipping to the end of the thread and asking questions that have all ready been asked and answered here? I find it amusing, yet alarming at the same time. ROFLMAO. :D

Sad but true, I noticed the same thing but thought maybe it was just me! Personally I find all of Eddy's answers very interesting! I'm not really into clubs and discos and whatnot, but I still find this whole thread extremely informative and gives me a better understanding of why somethings are done the way they are. For those who may be skipping to the end instead of reading it all, Eddy is being very generous with his time here, please read what he has to say so that we don't repeat ourselves taking up time he could be using to relax!

Thank you!

Hi Eddy! I was on the Fantasy when you were DJing on there...in August (25th to be exact) of 05. It was the trip that we had to go around the other side of the Bahamas to avoid Hurricane Katrina. My friends got married in port before we left and someone came to play CD's for us....was that you??? lol

My question is why was Fantasy your least fave? Was it only because of the ports (I think I would go NUTS having to go to the Bahamas every week for 6 months!) or was there other things that made it your least fave ship? Also, exactly how big (or small) are the cabins for crew. Anyway you can compare it to something? Im thinking its like a dorm room size but I could have a distorted view.

Thanks for doing this thread! You have answered so many questions I have been wondering! :D

If you do have a private party with an open bar, please tip the bar staff... the bartenders & bar waiters only get $5 per open bar party, regardless of whether its an hour or 3 hours... $5 is shocking :mad:

OMG :eek: does this include the captain's party and the past guest party??

Note to self--take lots of $$ next cruise for extra bar tips.

I've got a question not asked, yet.

Is Cruise Critic or any other cruise-related web site or forum on anyone's radar screen at Carnival, Inc.? Do they read comments/rants/raves, etc?

There is a lot of good marketing type information and could be useful to get a pulse on whether the latest money-enhancing change is being received, or a certain ship is experiencing a run of bad reviews, which might mean a closer look should be taken at crew morale, management style, etc.

Thanks for offering this wonderful information!

Snedecor

I've got a question not asked, yet.

Is Cruise Critic or any other cruise-related web site or forum on anyone's radar screen at Carnival, Inc.? Do they read comments/rants/raves, etc?

There is a lot of good marketing type information and could be useful to get a pulse on whether the latest money-enhancing change is being received, or a certain ship is experiencing a run of bad reviews, which might mean a closer look should be taken at crew morale, management style, etc.

Thanks for offering this wonderful information!

Snedecor

Hey there Snedecor, I just wanted to say hi to a fellow Angletonite as well as cruiser.

Archived