Pre Ordering Wines from Bon Voyage

gracecarmo

Hey, Larry, when are we going to get you and Susie out here to wine country? We know so many people in common, it's as though we're kin...You have my permission to bring the convertible! (I guess someone would have to run behind....:D ) Cakebread is a good one!

Andrew

We do want to come out again - did a three day trip a few years ago and we've wanted to spend more time ever since. I had actually thought about driving out once in 2005, but we changed our mind and went on a cruise instead! I'd love to have the car out there to tour the coast, but not too crazy about driving all that way although we did go as far as the Rockies a while back. The good news is that we actually do have a back seat. The bad news is that you can't fit in it unless you either remove your legs or really squish up and lie sideways on the seat.

Hey, Larry, when are we going to get you and Susie out here to wine country? We know so many people in common, it's as though we're kin...You have my permission to bring the convertible! (I guess someone would have to run behind....:D ) Cakebread is a good one!

Andrew

Hi, Andrew!

I agree about getting out there and meeting up... and maybe a few other people would join us! Wouldn't that be a blast?!

I have been trying to talk this up... but we keep getting sidetracked by cruises...Hopefully sometime soon in the next year or so.

We are again doing a B2B, and are on the Jan 28, and Feb.8th cruises.

Grace, Cakebread is a great Sauvignon Blanc; there is also a Roero Arneis on the menu that I liked. Not sure you would like the Brancott Sauvignon Blanc, but I did. Also tried the Gruner Veltliner, but it is not as good as some I have had at home. Do you like Pinot Grigio? You might like those on the menu, they are also pretty reasonably priced. Have a wonderful trip!

This is EXACTLY why I want more cruises to leave out of San Francisco...then folks would visit me all the time....

Larry, I'll leave the back seat for Hubble! And maybe follow you with the station wagon for all the 'purchases!'

Susie, let me know if there's anything afoot!

"Ok Book it," glad my notes helped....and Bon Voyage!

But remember tastes are individual....one thing I also ask the sommeliers a lot is a question like this: "I really liked the Viognier...can you recommend something similar that's a good value..." Gives them an opportunity to do their job, and is likely to get you a wine you like as much or better!

Cheers! (must be 5:00 somewhere!)

Andrew

Wow this thread is for the wine lovers so I guess I'll ask here.

My partner and I will be cruising the wine cruise on Mercury next oct. and I was wondering about how strict Celebrity is with thier wine policy. I have no issues paying corkage but we like really nice wines and were wondering if poeple bring on board more than the 2 bottles per stateroom. We have been lucky on Carnival and brought on 10 bottles last cruise and still had no issues with bringing more on in ports.

Just wondering about celebrity..

cheers,

PA

It's hit or miss. The one thing that influenced me is that I HAVE seen them confiscate wine and liquor, both boarding at embarcation, and at ports along the way. Wouldn't want to get 'caught' with wine that I couldn't enjoy at the end of the cruise (i.e. had to fly out at the end of the cruise, and couldn't take it back home with me on the plane) if it was really good wine.

On the other hand, I've certainly brought a lot of wine on... paid corkage on all of it. Have also returned from ports as recently as November and not had wine taken from me.

Folks seem to report more 'problems' on cruises during Spring Break, or with shorter cruises where they worry about a party atmosphere...but again, it's luck of the draw....

Andrew

Here's something I wrote a few years ago, but pretty much still applies*. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=165123&highlight=San+Francisco

Also, if you like shopping, San Francisco Centre is the newest and best...right on Market Street, near Union Square.

Andrew

*Mitchell's ice cream is best if you go to the source: San Jose Ave and 30th Street. Asia Chinese Food is about to stop selling it.

Archived